quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gary's diary - Day 4 and onwards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shill

Quit Date:
April 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 4:24 AM    Post subject: Gary's diary - Day 4 and onwards Reply with quote

Day 4...............

Instead of creating new topics every day I will stick to this one. I dont want to saturate the board with my daily ramblings. Smile

So Day 3 came and went. Last night went fine. We didnt go for a walk in the end due to us both being exhausted. Not sure if anyone else feels really tired when they first quit? I used to find it really hard to goto sleep at an early hour. But the last few days it has been no problem at all. The good thing about going to bed early is that you dont feel tired in the daytime. Too long now have I felt tired in the day and then suddenly woken up in the evening and then not gone to bed till way past 1am.

So the Girlfriend and I had Chinese takeaway last night for a treat. I had Crispy beef and she had Duck in Orange sauce. It was a chinese takeaway I had never been to before and it turned out to be a winner. The food was lovely.

Well as promised, I will give you an insight into where I live.

he Isle of Man is situated in the middle of the Irish Sea. The Island itself is between England and Ireland. It is 32 miles long and 14 miles wide. The great thing about the Island is that it has such a variety of places to see. Beaches, Glens, Mountains, Coastal Towns, Country roads etc etc. The most famous thing about the Isle of Man is the TT races. These are held every year at the beginning of June and is a festival of Motorbike racing. The TT course however is very controversial as unfortunately every year there are accidents, some unfortunately fatal.

Depending on where you are situated in the US, the Isle of Man is either 5,6 or 7 hours ahead. So when I am having lunch you are just waking up and when I am going home from work you are planning lunch Smile

The Isle of Man is also famous for the largest working water wheel in the world called the Laxey Wheel - http://www.isle-of-man.com/information/lwheel.htm

A good website to take a look at for information about my lovely Island is -- http://www.isleofman.com/about/

I live in the biggest town and the capital Douglas.

Well it's time to face day 4, I am going to a computer games party tonight. Very nerdy I know but it is what I enjoy. Another test of big proportions as quite a few of the people that go smoke. I will just feel sorry for them and know that what I am doing is right. I will also kick their asses as the games Smile

Well, cya all tomorrow and keep strong everyone.
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 6:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is absolutely beautiful where you live Gary. We were over there a year ago, (my husband plays rugby and we went on a tour over there with the team) we were in Ireland, England and Scotland absolutely beautiful!!!
Good luck on your quit!!

Two months, one day, 18 hours, 52 minutes and 27 seconds. 926 cigarettes not smoked, saving $231.54. Life saved: 3 days, 5 hours, 10 minutes.

Lisa
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 7:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I am so jealous. You live there? My utimate dream is to visit Ireland. Now that Husband and I have quit smoking, the money we save we'll be able to go. I'll have to come to your island, it is looks and sounds beautiful. Very Happy Congratulations on being free 4 days now. You are doing great.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Shill

Quit Date:
April 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 8:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 4 is causing me quite alot of problems Sad

I am constantly thinking about cigarettes which is not good. I am feeling quite depressed that i cannot stop thinking about them.

I wish this craving would go away it really is driving me up the wall. I work next to a smoker and I can smell the stench off her. This is what is keeping me going at the moment. I want to smell clean and I do not want to let myself down.

As everyone says, these times will pass and I am looking forward to getting into bed tonight and saying to myself You have won today. Lets do the same tomorrow.
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 9:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does look nice but where I want to go is Scotland. We still have family there and our family still owns a couple of castles there. We are also related to mary queen of scots(before she was beheaded). Also MacBeth both of whomin history had to do with scotland. by the way for those of you who don't know it macbeth was a real person and he was a king.

Anyway. I do like the looks of your island though. and I wish you a great deal of good luck in your endevor of the quit. from what I am told it gets easier although I am waiting to see that . I still reach for a cig in the morning and after meals and at night before bed so I keep gum and toothpicks handy. Still have not smoked and do not plan on it.

Stay strong and smoke free

Two weeks, three days, 22 hours, 5 minutes and 38 seconds. 716 cigarettes not smoked, saving $123.65. Life saved: 2 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Paula

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 9:31 AM    Post subject: Hang in there Shill Reply with quote

Day 4 is a booger... one that you just have to pick and flick...
(sorry for the analogy - it was the best way I could think to describe it that wasn't too morbid)

Hang in there Shill... Everything that you are feeling is normal... Just don't smoke. The first week is lovingly referred to as "HELL" week... go figure... it was hell, and then some. I can tell you that you are almost through it, just don't give up. Do you have a quit counter on your PC... that is one of the best tools that I found to help me through those first few miserable days... There are several of them offered on whyquit.com
Every morning when I log on to my PC it tells me how long I have been free, how much money I have saved etc... like below:

Free and Healing for Ten Days, 10 Hours and 23 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 156 death sticks that would have cost me $28.18

it really helps me... It's kinda like a daily pat on the back...

You are doing great, keep up the good work.. and just remember, the urges (the blahs, the tired, the depression etc.) will pass - whether you smoke or not...

just don't smoke
Hang in there, we are here for you!!

-Paula
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shill

Quit Date:
April 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 9:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere about the menthol brathing thing.

I have been getting that all day today. When I take deep breaths it's like inhaling ice. Really strange sensation but I actually quite like it. Smile
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 10:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some days are very bad. AND SOME DAYS ARE VERY GOOD. You can do this. Drink lots of water. Continue to take the deep breaths (yes I found that cool sensations very nice as well) I chewed gum (either a cinnamon gum or Dentyne Ice) Experience the urge....ask yourself " what is it about this that could make me want to go back to slowly killing myself" When you "feel" the urge, you will realize that there is nothing going on that you can't bear. It is just uncomfortable. It must be almost time for you to be off work.....then you will get away from that smoke. You will be OK. And yes I slept away my first week. We are all here pulling for you. What ever you do ..... do NOT smoke

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 12:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with day four!! Your island is adorable! (Have you lived there all your life?)

-Zuzu
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 1:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary...craves suck! I found that anything really strong citrus...lemon...lime...helped my crraves. all that puckering! I literally existed on Altoid citrus sours for the first few weeks!

You hang in there...and be a winner again tonight!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 6:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary

Days 4-6 were the worst for me. Sorry! But once I hit that 7th day I was so happy it took my mind off it for a while. You'll be OK, just don't smoke, you don't want to do this all over again!!

Two months, two days, 6 hours, 21 minutes and 46 seconds. 933 cigarettes not smoked, saving $233.34. Life saved: 3 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes.

Lisa
Shill

Quit Date:
April 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 9:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 5.

I can't wait for this day to end. Work today has been horrible. Loads of problems and things are starting to get on top of me. I am going to go downstairs for 10 minutes and have a walk round the building to get some fresh air after I have written this post.

There is a financial year end party tonight at work, luckily the building is non-smoking so it shouldn't be too bad. I am going to go early though as I feel I really need to just get home and put my feet up. I am sure the weekend will be alot easier. The good thing about this weekend is that it is a long one due to everyone being off on holiday on Monday. Yipee.

So when I get back to work it will be 8 days since a cigarette passed my lips.

Day 5 is definately proving troublesome, my stomach is aching at the moment I cannot concentrate on anything and I just need to goto bed.

I am reasuring myself that this crave will pass and will reward myself with the money I have not spent this week with a treat at the weekend. Not sure what yet. Maybe a new game or DVD.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone and I will try and check the site over the weekend and update my journal.

Now, time for that walk me thinks before I shout at someone and get sacked!! Smile

Gary
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 9:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary! What Holiday?

Yes, those craves will pass....they always do...whether you smoke or not smoke. Wish I could wave my magic wand and take these really hard days away for you. All I can say is to try to be as good to yourself as possible, and keep posting. We're all here rooting for you!

Shill

Quit Date:
April 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 10:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamela,

In the UK it is May Day bank holiday. We have a holiday on the closest Monday to the 1st of May.

Hopefully the weather will be nice as I would love to visit the Wildlife Park over here. I tend to visit once a year and this Monday would be ideal as long as the weather is fine.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 10:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi back, Gary. Oh yes, it is May day. Unfortunately, here in the US it's not a "bank" holiday, and everyone has to work. Unlike me, as I'm a work from home "consultant" which is another term for "mostly unemployed and does not have enough to do".

I'm willing your weather to be perfect, so that you can go to the park...smoke free of course! Have a super long weekend!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: