quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Feeling scared....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 9:33 PM    Post subject: Feeling scared.... Reply with quote

I didn't know where to put this...I am driving myself up a wall tonight. I am having an ultrasound tomorrow on my thyroid. I was at the doctor on Wednesday to have a lump in my mouth checked out...turns out that was only a fluid filled cyst. In the meantime, the doctor noticed my thyroid was enlarged and he found a mass on it. So, I have to get an ultrasound to get it checked. I'm nervous as heck to say the least. I'm praying everything will turn out all right. With my luck, since tomorrow is Friday, I'll have to wait til Monday to find out the results.
Had to get this off my chest and tell someone. Thanks for listening.
Nicotine Free
Three months, two weeks, three days, 20 hours, 32 minutes and 10 seconds. 4354 cigarettes not smoked, saving $761.70. Life saved: 2 weeks, 1 day, 2 hours, 50 minutes.
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 9:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax Mindy it may be nothing more than a slight infection. But worring about it is not going to change anything. I know thiat this is not something that is easy to do but try to find something anything else to do so your mind is not on it. In the mean time we will be keeping you in our prayers. And in our thoughts.

But the worst thing you can do is worry. Read a really good book watch a really good movie or what ever it takes to take your mind off of what could be. Our minds always make things worse than they actually are so no need to panic yet.

God be with you sweetie.

Two weeks, four days, 10 hours, 41 minutes and 50 seconds. 737 cigarettes not smoked, saving $127.27. Life saved: 2 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
jlf/Jeri

Quit Date:
November 12, 2003

PostPosted: April 29, 2004 11:19 PM    Post subject: Wishing you peace of mind Mindy Reply with quote

Mindy,

I'm so sorry you are upset and afraid. It's so scary not to know, not to have the answers. I wish I could write something profound but I have no words.

I guess what impressed me the most, after reading your post, was the fact that you never mentioned wanting to smoke. Wow! Way to go Mindy! You've grown so much in the short time you've been quit, it's really been an honor to watch you grow, flower and bloom, so to speak.

I am so proud of you and of the fine, strong, non-smoking woman you've become. You never once mentioned any "Junkie thoughts" and that just so impresses me! I admire your strength and the courage you've shown.

I wish you well and I hope you can find some peace of mind while you wait for the test results. Please know that you will be in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Jeri
Five months, two weeks, two days, 22 hours, 15 minutes and 55 seconds. 5067 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,061.44. Life saved: 2 weeks, 3 days, 14 hours, 15 minutes.
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 12:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mindy-

Most lumps/cysts in the thyroid are benign (not harmful) and have no symptoms associated... Anytime we have a "lump" and have to have a procedure, however, it's really frightening.

By the time you read this you'll likely have already finished the scan and have a great deal more information. My mom had three cysts on her thyroid and before she went in for further diagnostics I did a good deal of research for her on things that increase and decrease risks for this kind of thing being cancerous. When we went though each of the risk factors step by step and she realized that she was really at quite LOW risk for anything serious it was helpful for her to be able to go through the diagnostic procedures with the understanding that these procedures were precautionary.. to confirm what is/was most likely.. this this was nothing.. and certainly that's what they did.. confirm everything was/is okay.

If you want/need information to help you to understand risk factors, standard of care re: diagnostics and/or more or less what some of these tests are telling you, feel free to email me (zuzus_petals2000@yahoo.com) I know for some it's just overwhelming information.. for others (like me.. information junkies...) it helps to bring some sense of sanity and control in an otherwise overwhelming time. I leave that to you..

I wish you luck... think positive!

-Zuzu
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 1:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear that you are having med problems. And I know how scary these tests can be.
I will remember you in my prayers tonight Mindy. And while you are right you probably won't get the results back until Monday, keep posting to us and let us know how you are.
Take care dear friend......and I wish you well

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 8:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stealing Alison's line and wishing you peace, hon. Breathe deeply, relax, and we'll be here whenever you need to talk about it.

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 8:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late reading your post...but know that I'll be thinking of you.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 9:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late getting here as well, but I hope everything goes well for you today!! I'll be thinking about you!

Lisa
16Ocean

Quit Date:
April 16, 2004

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 10:11 AM    Post subject: GLAD YOU SHARED THIS Reply with quote

Mindy, I bet you are scared. But BELIEVE the positive answers you got, we worry about so much, yet, how much turns out to be nothing, or does not happen at all??? You will be in my prayers, and one will be, that God comforts you until you get some results. Keep thinking about this ONE VERY UP POSITIVE THOUGHT, MINDY IS A NON SMOKER, it took alot of courage and strength to accomplish that. Yet, you did it!!!!! Wanted to end on a happy note, and cant think of anything more positive than this at this moment! God be with you, Heidi
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 12:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some many people here thinking good thoughts and supporting you. I know that doesn't take away your fears but you will have all this strength to hold onto when you feel weak.

Life is more than not smoking but everything can be a trigger so keep coming here and posting as much as you need to. You can get through this Darlin, you are stronger than you think and I do wish you Peace.

I wish you peace.

alison
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 12:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mindy,

Just relax. There's nothing to fear, but fear itself. Worrying about things won't fix them, it'll just get your panties in a bunch. And we all know how uncomfortable that can be....I'm sure everything will be fine. You let us know what's up, ok?

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Angel

Quit Date:
November 11, 2004

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 1:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody say panties in a bunch? Here's a demonstration of how to fix that:
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 6:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your support. I had the ultrasound this morning and the doctors nurse did call me back this afternoon (for which I'm very thankful for). I would have worried myself sick all weekend. I tend to worry a lot...just one of those people. I can't help it!
Anyhow, it turns out I do have an enlarged thyroid with a mass on it, but it seems to be benign. I have a condition called 'goiter'. I don't really know a lot about it, so I can't tell too much about it. I am going to do some research on it tonight on the internet. I go back in 6 months for another ultrasound and more bloodwork. I still don't have the results back from my bloodwork I had drawn yesterday....that just tells if I have other thyroid problems...hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
So, I'm thankful. No, I hardly even thought of smoking during this time and I'm so proud of myself for that!!! I am amazed actually. Maybe I'm coming to that point in my quit where I don't think of smoking during every stressful moment. Who knows...I will not let my guard down though. The nicodemon is so sneaky...I know that firsthand. It was only a few weeks ago that I had a really bad time and bought a pack of those nasty cigarettes. Thankfully I did not smoke.

Thanks again everyone.
Three Months++ Nicotine Free
cherkohn

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 8:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy,

I am really glad everything turned out ok. My daughter had a mass in her thyroid in August that turned out to be cancer. And I can't tell you how many times a health professional has said to me "If you have to get cancer, thyroid is the best one to get".

I am glad yours is just goiter. But even the worst news would not have been that bad.

Cheryl
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: April 30, 2004 9:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Mindy. I am so glad that is was benign and a goiter. I have heard of goiters, in fact a lot when I was a kid. But for the life of me I can't remember what they were. Seems like we took huge iodine pills at school to keep from getting goiters. I might be mixing up two totally seperate things. Any way from what I know, which is obviously very little, a goiter is not at all dangerous.
Any way---enough babbling....I am very happy for you. I am sure you are so relieved. And a double joy...not even thinking about smoking. That is SOOOOOOO wonderful. Congratulations Mindy.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: