quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Update #3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokefree04

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: March 15, 2005 1:26 PM    Post subject: Update #3 Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the support everyone.

I am going in today for the methacholine challenge. I have had to cancel the appointment twice now as I ended up getting the flu; still trying to heal from that but I am still going in for the test today. I have the follow up with the Pulmonologist next Wednesday.

I'm very nervous about that test today. I took an Ativan and have a friend going with me; but I still feel on the edge of hysteria. Embarassed
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 15, 2005 1:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, Sarah, I have to admit that I don't know what your test is for....But I hope you pass with flying colors!

The bad part about any medical test is not knowing how it's going to turn out...and trying to be calm while it takes the medicos seemingly forever to get any results back to you.

I know I can't make it go any easier or faster....but try not to project the worst fears onto yourself....and keep yourself as calm as possible. Rolling Eyes

Please, make sure you let us know how you are!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 15, 2005 2:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah. Like Pam, I have no idea what this test is for but my thoughts go with you. It is a shame that these tests never seem to yield immediate results, though. The waiting is terrible.

Hang in there. You've got lots of support here, you know.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 15, 2005 5:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah,

You'll be ok through the test. Just seems like we get all stressed out when having to face medical tests, and probing, and the docs, and the nurses, and the cold drafty gowns that are embarassing!!! Shocked

Glad to hear you have a friend to lean on in the 3D, to be with you. That in itself helps alot. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Huge HUG ((((HUGS))))

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 15, 2005 9:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sarah,

I know exactly what that fear is like, and boy, can I relate! I do just what you do, take an Ativan and then take a friend with me. It helps a lot, especially the friend part. I have found if I push it, that they will let the friend stay with me all the time--no waiting in the other room! Don't be afraid to say you have a Anxiety disorder (even if you don't). I have found this speeds things up sometimes when you are waiting to start. My problem is that if they don't take me soon enough, I'm liable to split without getting the test. So I just tell them up front.

And it is hard to wait for the results. But on the other hand, no news is usually good news.

I'll be thinking of you, dear Sarah! I have lung disease, so it is always a worry to me. I may have had this test you are taking, but I can't remember names of them. I have had a bunch. Be sure to keep us posted on how everything goes!

Love to you,

Margaret
smokefree04

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: March 16, 2005 11:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys, you always make me feel better. Smile

The test was to see if I indeed have asthma. You breathe in concentrated amounts of methacholine which causes people who have asthma to react to it by getting tight and wheezy. Those who don't react, don't have asthma.

I reacted a bit the larger the dose they gave me, but I made in through with only a little anxiety.

I'm not worried about the results at all.

Margaret-I do have an anxiety disorder and they let my friend stay in the room with me (only because he doesn't have asthma) and I make sure to tell every dr./technician/nurse first thing that I am likely to have a panic attack during the test. They tend to treat you a little more gently then.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 16, 2005 12:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah,

Good to hear that you got through the test ok! Very Happy And with little stress!! That's even better!

Sending warm thoughts your way...and a BIG HUG!!!!

((((HUG)))))

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: March 16, 2005 2:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah, glad to hear that everything is fine. Kerry
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 16, 2005 3:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah,

I'm glad the test went O.K. without too much Anxiety. I have the Anxiety disorder also, as you must have surmised. Don't know if I've had that test, but I don't think so, because I don't have asthma. The COPD that I have is from smoking all those years. I do a lot of breathing into different apparatus in those tests, but I don't remember any drugs being used.

Glad it's over for you, this test! I have certainly found it is easier when I have a friend with me.

Good wishes to you! Smile

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: