quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

walking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: March 20, 2005 1:28 PM    Post subject: walking Reply with quote

walking is my new favorite way to fight an urge. yesterday went walking for 40 minutes. and it was a nice brisk pace and there were hills! i felt so great when i got back. and it definitely helped fight the urge. then when i got home i did my decond favorite thing to fight the urge which is a nice hot shower!
i also have a one hour DVD called Walk Away the Pounds which is a 4 mile "walking" DVD that you can do in your living room. i did that last Sunday and got through the whole thing! My best friend who smokes as much as i used to could barely get through the first mile. that would have been me before i quit! i must say i am really surprised at how soon i am feeling all of these health benefits.
jenny
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 20, 2005 1:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny, how right you are! I did exacly the same thing (and still do)...hooked my buddy tiger up to his leash, and off we went. sometime it was two or three separate walks each day....depending on how the cravings came. We got so we were doing (and still do) anywhere from 2 to 4 miles a day.

We've gotten to be a landmark of sorts on the road (we live in the country), and this will be the thing I miss the most when I get a job...not having the liberty of just getting up and going when the urge strikes. Any sort of excercise is great to fight old Laughing Demon but walking is my favorite!

You just pile up the miles...hey and why not get yourself a pedometer as a reward for not smoking! That way you can officially keep track...I think you'll be surprised how many miles we can rack up in any given day.

You keep going, you are really doing great!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 20, 2005 5:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is pretty amazing how quickly our bodies go about the business of healing themselves once we stop poisoning them multiple times a day...

keep up the good work, jenny! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: March 20, 2005 5:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jenny,

Walking is so good, and it is a benefit to be able to have the energy to walk.......

Keep adding up those benefits, they help in your resolve to stay quit. Everytime I see a benefit, I write it in my quit journal, this is so when my mind forgets, the ink on paper will not.....

You have a great attitude and a great quit going. Very Happy Very Happy Keep on keeping both.....

Pam

1 month, 4 days, 12 hrs., 57 min free of nicotine and feeling GREAT Wink

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: March 20, 2005 6:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenny, you are going to find the more you walk the stronger and better you will feel. This is such a great benefit of Quitting!

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 20, 2005 8:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny,

I love walks and bike riding! There is absolutely something great and grand about the moment you realize that ....hey, I can breathe...and hey, I can "move" ALOT, since quitting!!! Keep those wonderful feelings and thoughts foremost in your memory when Scowling Demon tries to tempt.

Girl...you are doing GREAT!!!! Keep up your awesome resolve!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Marty G

Quit Date:
September 28, 2004

PostPosted: March 20, 2005 10:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny,

That is fantastic! Walking definitely helps the body, but I also find that it helps me to clear my mind as well...

I recently started walking to work (4 miles round trip) every day, and it has had a profound effect on me. I absolutely love it!

Keep it up, the more you do it, the more you will enjoy it.

- Marty
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: March 20, 2005 10:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

walking has been a life saver for me....I walk the dogs around the pasture and through the woods....I usually spare my neighbors the sight of me before I good shower and shampoo Laughing Laughing

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: March 21, 2005 2:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Jenny,

I like to walk too. In fact I am going walking in just a minute. You are doing great with your quit.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 21, 2005 11:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't quite get how you can walk 4 miles in your living room! sounds great, mind you, but how does it work? Could you say a little more about that?

YOu are doing FAB!! Cool

Thanks,

Margaret
JamesP

Quit Date:
November 3, 2003

PostPosted: March 21, 2005 11:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny

Walking has absolutely SAVED me this past year. I live near a huge park that has a lovely 2.8 mile walk with woods on one side and a lake on the other. Not only do I get exercise, but I say good morning to all the people I pass along the trail, and no one is, of course, smoking! Keep up the walking, either in your living room or outside!

James

Enjoy your quit -- it's the last one you'll ever have!
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: March 22, 2005 9:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

margaret,
the 4 miles is an exercise video that is actually walking in place, with a some sidesteps and kneelifts and kicks. it is supposed to be the equivalent of 4 miles. the video is by leslie sansone if anybody wants to try it out. it's really good for days when the weather is bad. i think they are predicting more snow for boston later this week Crying or Very sad
jenny
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: March 24, 2005 6:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny, I do the same video. But I haven't been very disciplined lately.

But I did do it tonight.

Great video. And I love walking. In fact I love to run, but I don't.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: