quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I still overeat to stray a craving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 10:38 PM    Post subject: I still overeat to stray a craving Reply with quote

Its been 2 mths and I eat eat and eat some more. I have gained 15 pounds. May not sound like much but I was over weight before I quit. Although I must say That the weight gain has slowed down. I was doing so good today with eating healthy only to have a huge plate of poutine! I new the whole time I was eating it that I would be angry that i did. But I ate it anyways because I am trying to avoid the thoughts of smoking. I eat when a craving hits. BUt I am starting to think that the reason I am thinking about smokes lately is because . When I was a smoker and dieting I would smoke to avoid eating. Sheesh Seems like I am in a catch 22 here.LOL

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 11:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane. part of the reason we were addicts is because we hid behind the smokescreen....you may need to do some soul searching to see why you smoked and why you eat......maybe some sugarfree hard candy will help curb the crave and the appetite. I have gained too! But, I have gained so many positives that one negative can't get me down....at least not today!
My smoking daughter in law made the statement she would look good in a bikini this year at 110 and I said " At 140 I will too!!!!! ...all 4 or 5 of them" Laughing Laughing Laughing keep your sense of humor...you are going to need it Wink
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 11:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand completely. I never realized how much smoking covered up my issues in life that I didnt want to deal with. I need to figure out some of them as I cant keep covering it all up with food either. I cried alot the first few weeks of my quit and i have a feeling that I am going to go through some similar pouts of emotions once I stop over eating and get serious about this healthy eating. Although Tomorrow is a new day and I will eat better once again. I think that the reason the weight gain has stopped is because even though i have been having binges on food. I have been eatting heathier most of the time.

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 11:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,

Maybe drinking some water when the urge to eat or smoke comes.
Personally, I like to suck on a cinnamon stick instead of eating when the urge for smoke happens. I've gained some, but like Kay, I'm enjoying the other benefits so much, that the weight gain isn't bothering me so much. I'll lose it when it warms up and I am able to get active again.

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 11:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good answer, kay - and diane, you have to figure out how to divorce these two behaviors and see what's driving them; letting one compulsive behavior substitute for another is not the best choice (but it's one that most of us seem to fall into - to one degree or another - along this journey)...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 11:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!!Very Happy I am so glad Spring is here. Although we got a snow storm last night, It is suppose to warm up again tomorrow. I will be out walking for sure.

Diane
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: April 4, 2005 11:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,
i've noticed that i can exercised easier because i can breath now. i also needed to lose weight before i quit so i am doing my best not to gain any. with the warmer weather it is definitely easier to get out and be active too.
i also do have to say that the last time i quit i did gain weight, but even when i started again i didn't lose it! i think part of it was that i was down about starting again and was consoling myself with food! think of all the benefits that you can use to help you not gain weight. maybe take some of themoney saved and get a gym membership, or use it to by the healthier food at the grocery store (which always seems to cost more!)
and if nothing else, you can lose the weight later!
take care
jenny
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: April 5, 2005 12:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane I could talk for days on this subject! I would just bore you all to tears if I did, that's how many thoughts are racing thru my mind. Just know that I know what your going thru and if you ever want to get into this subject, pm me anytime. Kerry
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 5, 2005 1:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane, I eat tons of salad. The great thing is you can put anything in it, so I eat lots of spinach and carrots and hard boiled eggs and any veggies I want in it. However, I make one that could feed a family of 4--if it gets any bigger,I'll have to use a tub! Laughing --and that's before I eat "dinner" which is meat, usually. I thinking of eating a lot of popcorn as a snack.

In the beginning of my quit, I just sailed along without increasing my food, but now I eat like a horse! So I guess it's like they say: "different strokes for different folks!" This probably doesn't help, but just know we all wrestle with this in some form or other. You'll figure it out!

Margaret
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 5, 2005 12:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You everyone for responding to my post. I guess I was venting alittle because I know that eating is why I am gaining and not because I quit smoking. I have tried for years to figure out why I over eat to begin with and havent figured it out yet. But the good news is I am trying the Dr.Phil diet plan. You can eat 5 times a day. LOL Which is what I need a diet where I can eat every 2 1/2 hrs. I am also getting some walking in and some exercises too. Thanks again for listening to me whine.

Diane
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 7, 2005 3:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Diane,

I too have been battling with the overeating thing until recently. I think for me shortly after my 3rd month of being quit I started doing things that would take my mind off of the eating problem I have. It may be too early in your quit now to worry too much about your eating. As you know, I have been learning MS Word a little online along with thinking of buying a digital camera soon. Also, Barnes and Noble sent me an email today on books they have on sale on hobbies. Well, I don't plan to get into anything else for awhile but I will definetly keep the hobby books in mind. When I shop for items online like books, CDs or what not, I do not think about stuffing my mouth. Watching T.V. is a big trigger for me to snack so I try to get up to do something when commercials are on or play my hand held scrabble game. Try to take the approach with your eating that you did with quitting. Alternatives to eating, etc. Positive affirmations that you will eat better should help which is something I still need to work more on.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 7, 2005 3:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Diane,

I missed your last response some how. You sound like you are doing better now since starting the Dr. Phil diet plan.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: