quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lung Cancer....why????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 7:41 PM    Post subject: Lung Cancer....why???? Reply with quote

I hated to hear that Peter Jennings was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. He'd quit some twenty years ago, and returned to smoking after 9/11...sigh...I just pray everyday that I've quit soon enough to avoid that sad death sentence. The odds of that are not as good as I wish they were - but they are getting better everyday as I continue to choose to not smoke. I realize that not every smoker will develop lung cancer - and I also know that not every lung cancer victim smoked....but there is a pretty strong correlation between smoking and cancer - lung or otherwise.

Why did it take me so long to believe smoking was bad for me and do something about it? Does the powerful addiction fog our brain and destroy our ability to think?? The surgeon general's warning is right there on the pack - why did I think I wasn't at risk? I so hate to hear the diagnosis of cancer of any sort...I pray we've all stopped soon enough....we may not have - but at least we are improving the odds a little everyday...

I pray they'll find a cure and I pray I never have to hear a doctor tell me - "you have cancer" and I'll CHOOSE LIFE one day at a time!!

And to think I paid the tobacco companies lots and lots of money for those cigarettes....what a powerful addiction.... Crying or Very sad

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 7:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so right, Mary Dude. However, we shouldn't waste our precious time being sorry for things done in the past. God has given us today to work with and you're doing the right thing by not smoking. Very Happy

It is a shame about Peter Jennings. My prayers are with he and his family. Hopefully the cancer was found early on and can be cured.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 8:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Peter Jennings thing has been bothering me too, but I have to remind my self that that's him, not me. Otherwise, I could absolutely drive myself crazy with fear and I am done with that. As far as beating yourself up goes, don't do it. I think that when you're young you think, 'Not me' or 'I can quit when I'm older' It's not that you don't know that it's bad, it's just that you remove yourself from the situation so that you don't have to give up your addiction. Finally, one day, some of us wake up. Thankfully, you were one of those people. So look forward, understand that for some reason you chose the path that you did, and get ready to enjoy your new one to the absolute fullest. Kerry
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 8:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

I know for me. When I heard the news that he had quit for 20 years..the lies were ready and waiting to seize the moments.

Lie #1) See....it doesn't matter if you quit or not...you can still get cancer, so why quit? After I booted that lie out the door, then this lie #2 showed up...

Lie #2) Ok you quit......but you are still going to get cancer. And then it laughed at me. Alrrrigghty then...this one pissed me off!!!! Mad I took that thought and shot it!!!! There was bloodshed everywhere as the demon screamed in pain running away wounded!!! Wink I refuse to give that fearful thought any place in my mind or heart. We have QUIT!!!! I believe the moment I quit my body was and still is being healed. Period!!! No debate!!! Like Jo said, we can't wait our days on what ifs or could be's. We are to live life!!!

Ok just had to get that off my chest and Scowling Demon out of my mind!!!
Too bad Scowling Demon we're still kicking your butt!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 9:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,
I felt the same way as Seabrez ,Told meself the lies too. Until I heard he had returned to smoking after 9/11. Sad about that. But maybe if he hadnt gone back to smoking cancer may not have set in. Crying or Very sad I hope the cancer is not to far gone.

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 9:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's good to see others had the same negative reaction about the peter Jennings story. As I indicated in a different post, I knew Jennings had the relapse, started smoking again after 20 years during 9/11 but that I was still firmly resolved to my own quit.

After all, I might get hit by a bus before developing lung cancer. besides, I just survived prostate cancer. Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same spot. Does it? I'll take the odds anyway.

Besides, I am enjoying the savings and I can't stand the stink of cigarettes. I can still smell a smoker about 100 feet away.

Regards,

Frankiet

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 11:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary wrote:
Why did it take me so long to believe smoking was bad for me and do something about it?

don't feel bad, mary; addicts never count the cost: i lost my father to lung cancer in 1991 and kept right on smoking, lost my brother to colon cancer in 1997 and kept right on smoking, watched my mother develop asthma, copd, and finally, the congestive heart failure that killed her last summer (all of which she was convinced were caused by her smoking, and her doctors agreed) and kept right on smoking. how could i have watched my family being taken away from me one by one and kept on smoking until i gave myself emphysema?

easy; i'm an addict.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: April 7, 2005 7:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thinking as Seabreeze, but nicked it in the bud immediately! New where those lies where coming from! It is a very good choice that we quit smoking! Yes we have done damage to our bodies, but why continue? By quitting we are improving our bodies! And think of all the people around us we are helping. We don't know what we are going to die of. But why raise the odds of cancer by smoking?

That one Doctor on Larry King said cancer can be growing in you for 6 - 12 years before you actually have the symtoms! I am a compulsive worrier when it comes to my health. So I have been trying to face that fear. I have a saying on my desk that says:

WORRYING DOES NOT EMPTY TOMORROW OF ITS TROUBLES ....
IT EMPTIES TODAY OF ITS STRENGTH

God Bless You all! Each of us can give each other encouragement and strength to keep going! Help each other with our fears!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 7, 2005 9:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

londa wrote:
WORRYING DOES NOT EMPTY TOMORROW OF ITS TROUBLES ....
IT EMPTIES TODAY OF ITS STRENGTH

great saying, londa! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 7, 2005 11:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So true!

Amen.....Londa!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: April 7, 2005 12:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody dies, but not everyone truley lives.

In recognizing and combating our addiction we have begun to live again. We are not slaves to the demon weed, we are free to enjoy what time we have, no chains attached.

No one can escape the inevitable, live today, free and breathing.

I wish you peace.

alison
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 7, 2005 6:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas...I do feel sorry for Mr. Jennings and I am so very glad I've turned the corner and chosen freedom. Deb - you're right ole Laughing Demon was intruding on my thoughts.

Jo - your wisdom always inspires me...

Kevin, you are so very correct and....I too am an addict...and addicts never count the cost.

I used to think smoking was just a bad habit...I didn't understand the idea of nicotine addiction, let alone that I was addicted.

Londa - I love your message....today is for living! I taken the necessary steps finally, to give myself a chance to heal and maybe avoid the ravages of cancer. I can't know for sure - but I'm doing what I can to be healthy!

Frankie...I hope we will all be survivors!
Allison...Amen....

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 7, 2005 9:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I knew worrying was getting me no where and now I know why Laughing

I knew when I quit smoking that my chances of out running any complications from all the years I smoked were slim to none....I do not know the outcome of that....all I do know is that I can keep choosing to not smoke everyday and hope for the best....that is my plan.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Backfist

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 8, 2005 8:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mary! I remember posting about a segment I saw on The Today Show a few months ago that stated that a lot of folks who have quit smoking have so improved their health that they are living long enough for lung cancer to show up! At the time, I definitaly felt ole Scowling Demon show up and say, hey, if you're gonna get cancer anyway, why not smoke??? It was a passing thought, but for one second, it was a STRONG passing thought!

But you know what? What a load of crap that thinking is! First of all, it sorta assumes that lung cancer is the ONLY disease that smokers get. Well, we all know that isn't true. Smoking is directly related to a whole host of health problems, none of which is attractive! So why pick the crappy little sticks up again at all? Sure, I may get lung cancer, but I most probably won't get COPD, emphesema, asthma, chronic bronchitis, heart disease, etc ad nauseum!

Yep, I think I'm finally realizing what Kevin said, "Addicts never count the cost!"

So hang in there everyone, and just don't smoke, and I'm sure we will all be strong enough to handle whatever life throws us, good or bad!

Dekie
2Y+
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: April 9, 2005 6:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was telling Ron today of the conversations that had been going on here in Mary's post. How many was wondering about the point of quitting if we would all get lung cancer anyway........ Ron said something so profound and worth sharing (my opinion Very Happy ) He said that "Peter Jennings is now a statistic." He said, that "he is one in how ever many that did develope lung cancer after quitting. BUT" he said, "how many do not. Probably many many more do not develope any cancer, than those that do. That health does improve by quitting. All of our lives will be better for quitting. That is what we should focus on."

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: