quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I Have a Hernia!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 11, 2005 2:06 AM    Post subject: I Have a Hernia! Reply with quote

Last week I discovered a lump very low on my stomach almost in the groin, and today the doc told me this is a hernia! I think he said "lingunal" or something like that type of hernia. I thought only men could get these. Does anybody know anything about them?

I am supposed to go back in 2 weeks. Doc wants to see if it gets bigger or smaller. Not too big right now. He said eventually I have to have surgery, but not right away.

Thanks,
Margaret

P.S. Seems like it takes more and more to keep me going! Rolling Eyes Getting a Stress Test tomorrow for my high heart rate, and and another Shot in my back (where I get put to sleep) on Monday. The last one wasn't too bad, except for the spasms after. Guess I should just be glad I have all this and can keep on going and working out and everything. Started a "Nutritional" program also. More later on that!

Margaret
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 11, 2005 8:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i think hernias are pretty common to both men and women; in fact, i have a sister who was born with one - they operated on her when she was just a few days old - she came through it just fine. at least you know it's not something life-threatening (of course, any operation is a risk, but if they were able to operate on my sister at such a young age over 40 years ago, chances are that this one's about as safe as you can get).

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: March 11, 2005 12:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my Margaret I'm sorry to hear! I don't know about that type of hernia but, I have a hiatel hernia this I believe is way different.

Hang in there, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Deb
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 11, 2005 6:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin, and Deb.

Kevin, I really appreciated the info about your sister and the reassurance that provided. Made me feel a lot better.

I actually had the name way wrong for the hernia. It is a inguinal hernia, and they are very common, although more common to men, women get them also. It means for whatever reason the small intestine has protruded from the abdomen into the groin. (So my medical dictionary says.) Femoral hernias are the same type, but a little lower. Hiatus hernia, which I think is more painful, would be when the stomach protrudes through the diaphram muscle into the stomach. Well this probably a TMI (too much info) but thought I'd just put it here in case anyone wondered.

THanks again,

Margaret
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 11, 2005 7:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Margaret. So sorry you have another problem to face but sure happy it isn't too terribly serious.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: March 16, 2005 11:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret said:

Quote:
I think he said "lingunal" or something like that

When my last one was born he had to have a bi lateral herina surgery. The doctors said that he had the hernis on both sides. If memory serves me lingunal means one side not both?? Not sure it's been 17 years.

Go online to webmd and do some research.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 17, 2005 2:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TAmmy. I will. And it is just on one side. But it hurts now, so maybe the surgery will be sooner--but not, I hope until after I go to Florida.
(And I was only just kidding about not vacationing, in my other post! I do! I do!)

Margaret
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: March 17, 2005 10:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear this Margaret.....my grandson has a hernia in his bellybutton that will have to be fixed....he has screamed so much it never went down on its own...it does not seem to bother him...does yours hurt?
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 18, 2005 12:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kay, mine hurts on my Right side very low down almost in the groin. It has been hurting a lot more this past week, and I have felt nausea a few times. So I am going to call tomorrow to make an appointment with a surgeon, and start that ball rolling! Confused I don't want to wait until it becomes a problem. They are not dangerous unless they start to strangle the intestine, then it gets serious fast. Best to get it done now. Crying or Very sad

I thank the Lord I don't smoke. Smile I could never do all this if I was still a smoker!

Margaret
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 10:54 AM    Post subject: marw Reply with quote

I had an umbilical hernia . Mostly babies get these. But I got one and They stitched it and well I hurt for a couple weeks , But then it came back and The doctor put a patch over it and I was up and moving a day later. So try and see if the doctor will do the patch as suppose to the stitches.
Also a hernia is a weakening in the abmional<<<miss spelled...means stomach wall. Dont worry to much about it. You will be fine. Very Happy

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 3:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Diane, both for the encouragement, and for posting because I needed to update this thread!

At this time I have already seen the surgeon and it is a femoral hernia in his opinion. It is possible that it is strangling the intestine already, which would be why it is so painful and why I am constipated (and I mean to the point that nothing seems to work). Surgery was set for May 2 because all the docs want me to have my next back shot a week from tomorrow (which requires being put to sleep) and the surgeon said I need to wait 2 weeks after that shot--so as not to have too many things close together. It is also possible the pain is not coming from the hernia, but from the back--L5/S1 pinched nerve also goes to the colon and can cause this problem. The reason for doing the hernia surgery first is to see if it works; and therein is where I have to pray a lot, because if it doesn't, then I will have to see the back surgeon re back surgery, and this time I will l probably not get out of the back surgery!

Diane, the surgeon is doing a laparascopy (spelled wrong?) which means he will not cut me open, but put a little slit and a couple of holes. They do put a patch (some kind of mesh, I think) over the hernia. One is supposed to recover faster that way. Is this what you meant?

Thanks,
Margaret

Margaret
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 11:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is . The mesh is the best anything else and the doctor is just mickey mousing the problem in my opinion. Lets hope its not your back. I will keep you in my prayers.

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: April 4, 2005 12:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret! My husband has a hernia and it is VERY LOW! He is really swollen. He has been fighting me to go to the doctors. I had no idea how serious they were until someone told me. So I made an appointment and HE WILL BE GOING WHETHER HE LIKES IT OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do hope you get yours takin care of and your back feels better.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 4, 2005 2:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Diane and Londa.

Londa, when is your hubby going for his? I am getting worried that they are putting mine off too long. I'm not sure I can wait a whole month. My belly is so swollen also, and painful. Mine is very low also.

Diane, thanks so much. Man, I was worried about what mesh was and how if worked, so that is a relief!

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: