quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I Miss the Old FFS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 11:46 PM    Post subject: I Miss the Old FFS Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all,

I have been ranting about most of the same things for so long that I thought I would rant about something different tonight. I have quit going to FFS during my lessons there in Module 6 on count of how the message boards there have become. It doesn't seem to be a place about people trying to quit smoking anymore, at least the last I've been there it wasn't. It seems like a social club and a place for people to flirt. People were having private conversations which Mary Ella even said something to the effect about and how it should be done by email instead. I miss my old FFS but the last times I was there I felt so out of place trying talk about the assignments with all with others to no avail. Okay that's the last of my venting for tonight folks. The good part about Woofmang is that there is a structured forum for everything so whenever I can use one over the other, the opportunity is there for it. For an example, if I feel the need to strenghten my quit, sad or blue, feeling like helping newbie, or am stressed, there is a special forum here to help whichever mood or feeling I am experiencing that needs to be addressed to me. All in I, it has helped me get this far in my quit. I know I'm still new in my quit but to me it seemed like a long rough ride for me to get to this point therefore making it seem longer.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 9:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that you're finding the ffs boards such a challenge, barbara - you know, there are a lot of people here (including myself) that went through the ffs program, so if you ever want to post questions or observations about different lessons or assignments from there, i'm sure you'll find somebody to respond.

glad to hear that you like the setup here, too, by the way! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 9:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Kevin,

I will do that, when I go back to FFS I'll post my feelings about it here. I had thought about it before but never did it. I know, btw you started out at FFS as I have read many of your tales in 03 before I signed up for Woofmang. Sandi L. (justtheprincess) recommended this site to me back then but I didn't sign up until the message boards at FFS got so messed that a lot of people left for awhile. Don't mind me, my husband and in-laws are going to drive me nuts one of these days and I may be at that point already. Question

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 12:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Barbara that the FFS Boards are being misused by many--not all--of the people there. THey have not been the same since the influx of Dr. Phil people. While on a publc board, all are welcome and we certainly don't want to discourage anyone from trying to quit, I do personally find the FFS boards too hard to use now. Of course, at this point I don't really need them, but I think if I were trying to quit now and use them, I would find it difficult, if not impossible. So many posts are made there that have nothing to do with quitting. I have tried posting--although it has been a while since I did this--on the FFS Board 7 that the board should be used for it's intended purpose, but all I got was a lot of MYO business from most, and support from 2 or 3 people, who I believe later continued their quits here at woofmang.

I'm not sure, however, that woofmang is the right place for us to criticize FFS, and that we should post our criticisms there at FFS, and just take the flak--of which there is sure to be much Exclamation --from those over there who want it to continue to be a party board.

I have thought a lot about this. When I have time, I am going to read over there some more, and if it is still this way--which it was as of last week--I will now email Mary Ella about this problem.

FFS is vital to the Quit for so many. I started there, too. I could not have done without the fine education and the informative lessons there. But I also needed the feedback and support that I got there--and that is the part that one can no longer find at FFS. If I were a Newbie, I would not know how to deal with all that "party and club" atmosphere that Barbara is perfectly right in saying is there. I was deadly serious about my quit. I would not have wanted anyone or anything to detract from that purpose.

If it was inappropriate of me to have said any of these things here, Kevin, please delete this post. When I saw this rant, it was like a breath of fresh air, however, because I have for so long wanted to say this.

For Newbies: Do not let this stop you from using FFS! It is still the best place to start your quit! The lessons are terific there! and the info, too. In case you need additional support, you have us!!! The important thing is always to keep the quit, however you do it.

Margaret
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 6:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara ~

I understand your frustration. FFS is not monitered enough, imo. It helped save my life, but I am deeply saddened with their not truly reaching their potential. The site could probably save so many more lives if more (time, money, energy, monitering, etc. etc.) was invested in it.

Crying or Very sad

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Imagen27

Quit Date:
July 12, 2005

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 7:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, in the beginning modules, it has more focus, but as you progress, it begins to turn into some dating chat room.

I have to say that I am feeding my quit elsewhere, too old for flirting, and far too serious about quitting to bother over there...

We're here for ya!

~Im

Imagen-29 (The ever so "flexible willow")
3 wonderful girls, 12, 10 and 3
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 8:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw c'mon you're never too old to flirt! Wink
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 9:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Wow, maybe I should try to replace my husband with some one over there. Confused

Very Happy

Thanks guys, you really brightened my day.

Blessings,

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 9:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure he's got money in the bank. Remember, you only marry for love the first time!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 10:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Kerry,

You crack me up. Laughing What would I do without all you wonderful people?

Blessings,

Blessings,
Barbara K.
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 11:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i first did FFS back in August and i never liked their message boards. there was no real sense of support to me. i just posted my assignments and then kind of lost them, since there were no real topics, just lessons that you were on. although FFS is where i heard about this website from. so where would i be without that?!?
jenny
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 26, 2005 11:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too feel the same way. I go back from time to time and give positive messages to the newbies. I found that once on board 7 it wasnt about exercise and fitness. It was all about group of oldies (quitters) flirting and someone was talking about heroin to stop a nicotine craving. Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes I was shocked at the childness that the FFS boards have become.

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 27, 2005 12:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, worked the modules at FFS but never felt a connection there....one girl who is a member here gave me this site address....but then she never posts....I hope she quit because she certainly saved my butt.... To me, FFS gave me the information I needed to get started and woofmang gave me my strength, courage and wisdom to make the journey....FFS tells you which freeway to take and woofmang covers all the exits...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 27, 2005 1:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay,

YOu put that perfectly: "FFS tells you which freeway to take and Woofmang covers all the exits!" Cool You sure have a great way with words! It is seriously the truth. Exclamation Very Happy

Margaret
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 5:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usuual I am a day late and a dollar short entering into a blog that really concerns me. I have had a hard time keeping my tongue tied over at FFS with all the non-quitting chatter going on over there on the upper boards. I do post over there pretty regular trying to see if a focus on non-smoking can be re-lighted there, but it does not happen. The newbies on the lower boards seem to know what they want, as their quits mature they leave the boards, at least I hope they are keeping their quits and noit be turned off by the dating chatter. Well anyway, keep your quit strong.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: