quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Well, just shoot me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 6:19 PM    Post subject: Well, just shoot me! Reply with quote

Hey guys.....I went to the doctor today...no not for the lumpy under the right arm...but for the pain in my left shoulder....I thought I had pulled a muscle with the grandbabies the other day....then I got this red bump on the left side of my neck right at the spine. I woke up this morning and the left side of my shoulder and arm was all in whelps (sp?)...I hurt so bad I went to what they call Urgent Care (no appt.)

I almost fainted when he told me I had the shingles....now damn I said I quit smoking and I am not suppose to get this stuff....as cute as he found me to be, I still have them......I was so shocked, I forgot to show him under the right arm......could be a connection since he thinks my immune system is down.....funny thing is, the lumpiness is much smaller now....

Has anyone had this? All I can say is that it hurts very badly........
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 7:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay ~

If I lived in Alabama I would come and help you. I have heard (in vivid detail) the horror that is shingles. Crying or Very sad I am so sorry, but thankful it isn't something worse.

Sending get well thoughts and prayers.... Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 8:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i haven't had anything like that; sorry to hear that you do, kay - take it easy and get well soon!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 8:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay,

My mother used to get those! She said it is the most painful thing she ever had! I don't think there is too much you can do, but they do go away. Did the doc give anything for them? I'll ask my Ma when I talk to her, but at 94 she may not remember them! Rolling Eyes Bless her, she can't help it.

I don't think it's the fault of your immune system, but something kind of like geting allergies, only worse. I could be wrong.

Anyway, like I said, take heart! They go away, usually for good.

I'm sending comforting thoughts your way!

Margaret
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 9:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the well wishes....I did not know much about the shingles either until I went on the internet....it does not sound like much fun to me....3 to 5 weeks with 3 weeks off work..( now who are they kidding?)

My skin hurts to just touch it and the pain takes my breath away....in a couple of weeks with this and I will be a basket case for sure... Laughing Laughing so if you don't hear much from me...you will know the pain is making me mean Laughing Laughing
Kay

Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 9:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay this is terrible. My daughter had them 3 years in a row when she went to University. She hated being away from home. Apparently stress causes them but if you DARE TO PICK UP A SMOKE. YES YOU AND YES I'M SHOUTING I'LL KICK YOUR ASS. so calm down they will go away.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 10:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to worry, Ms Melody......I hurt to bad to smoke.....besides I cannot see where that would make it better except that the skin be so hot the blisters would pop sooner Laughing Laughing

Funny, all spring housework is done...the books are working out and I had no clue of anymore stress....doctor said immune system could be down also and I did not like his reasons.
Kay

Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 10:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay - shingles are NOT easy to endure. My mom was miserable for several weeks (but that was at least 20 years ago - hopefully they've gotten better at treating shingles). WebMD didn't paint a very pretty picture - very painful! I hope the doctor gave you something so you feel better very soon! Sending prayers to you!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 11:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay,

Now I know you probably wanted a vacation...but girl...really...did you have to go to these extremes? Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy

I don't know about shingles, but you all make it sound real PAINFUL!!!
Kay, got any whiskey or vodka in the house to ease the pain? Wink Just take care of yourself and get better real quick!!!! Exclamation

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: April 25, 2005 11:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay I've had them twice and all I can say is OW, OW, OW!!!!!!!!! Kerry
16Ocean

Quit Date:
April 16, 2004

PostPosted: April 30, 2005 3:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, I am so sorry. I know people who have had shingles, and yes, they have said how very painful they are too. I dont know anything about them, other than that. Gosh, I hope there is something to help with the pain, I dont even know how long they last, but, I sure hope it isnt long at all. Hope you find some things that will help from what others write, and your doctor. Please take care, May God be with you, sincerely Heidi
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 30, 2005 5:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay,

I'm so sorry you have the shingles. I've heard it is real painful.

I'm wishing you well.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 1, 2005 4:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the well wishes....I don't look as bad from the rash as I did earlier in the week but the pain does not seem to want to let up much....yesterday and today it has been in my left ear and above on the scalp....I will be glad when these things leave and hope that they find that blame lizzard. Wink

To those like me who did not know about the shingles, mine started with my skin feeling very tender to the touch, then somewhat painful to the touch...then some deep pain in the shoulder and a bump at the base of my scalp and beginning of my spine.....it is important to get treatment within the first 72 hours...no cure but it helps to keep it from getting so bad...and man, I don't know if I could have stood it much worse.
Kay

Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: May 7, 2005 6:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cow girl, I just read this. My prayers are with you. I know nothing about shingles. Embarassed

Take care and know my thoughts are with you.

Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: