quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Surgery O.K. but Painful
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 10:32 AM    Post subject: Surgery O.K. but Painful Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note to say as far as I know the surgery went O.K. A friend went with me, and had a professional care-giver for the night (which was a good thing, because at first I could not raise up by myself, and had to be lifted--stomach muscle too sore--but am O.K. alone now, and people come to check on me.) Taking a lot of pain medicine, and thank the lord for ice, which really helps! (Although this is a minor surgery, it hurts more than my knee surgeries did.)

I am doing pretty good lying down, and standing is not too bad, but sitting is harder and not good. I think I will not try to post until next week, just so you know, and that I am O.K.

I go back to the surgeon on May 12--a week from THursday--to get the dressing changed (or off--not sure). Anyway, he tells me then what I can and cannot do and how things went. Until then I am just to not pick up anything "heavier than a gallon of milk," is the way he put it. It turned out not to be a femoral hernia, but an inguinal hernia--I guess it is hard to tell until they get inside.

Hope everyone is doing well. Will see you next week, if not sooner.

Love,

Margaret
Imagen27

Quit Date:
July 12, 2005

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 10:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad you're doing ok..

Glad you're back to say hi!!

{{{{hugs}}}}

~Im

Imagen-29 (The ever so "flexible willow")
3 wonderful girls, 12, 10 and 3
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 12:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad it went well, margaret; take it easy and we'll see you when you get back. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 2:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon. No....sooner than that!!! Cool

We miss you!

Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 2:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Margaret,

Glad you are okay. Remind me to ask you to explain to me the different types of hernias so I will know about the type you had.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 6:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret. So good to see your fish swimming again here at woofmang. Hope that pain goes away real fast. I PM'ed you earlier. Take your time answering; don't do more than is comfortable.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 8:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband just had hernia surgery.... but I don't know what kind it was. All I know is that the Surgeon said it was HUGE!

Here's to a speedy recovery!!!!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
michelleanne

Quit Date:
January 1, 2005

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 1:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing hi margaret pleased all went well.hope you get get well real soon and the pain goes even sooner.michelle
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 6:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to hear you are doing well Smile . Get plenty of rest for a speedy recovery ^_^.

hugs
mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 8:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, Get well soon and listen to the doc. Let your body heal.
Glad you posted an update I was wondering about you.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 9:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret - glad all went well, take things slowly, be extra kind to yourself! Follow your doctor's orders to a tee. We'll be here when you are ready to get back on the boards!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 6, 2005 10:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your well-wishes. THey mean a lot. I just thought I would check in again.

From my point of view, things don't seem as smooth as I had hoped. Pain continues unabated. I called the surgeon but he was more concerned with dairrhea that I was having, but said it wasn't related to the surgery, and told me to go to my own ER. They gave me some more pain med and a shot of something and sent me home. Today, I had nausea and dry-heaves in the a.m. (I think this may be a stomach virus that my dog-walker had, but not sure.) Anyway, if anyone knows how soon pain from this operation gets better, I could use a good word!

I tried to walk a little tonight, but it makes pain worse. I think my body is very offended by this operation, for some reason. I think just living with the thing would have been a lot easier, but all the doc said it had to come out.

Well, thanks again. Will post again in a few days.

Best wishes to all,

Margaret
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: May 7, 2005 6:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret. My husband had his surgery on a Monday and started feeling better on a Friday. He was off medication then. I remember my father had a lot of pain after his. I also found out my husbands was a lingual hernia. (did I spell that right?)

I do hope you start feeling better. Please keep us posted! We want you back and healthy! We miss you!

God Be with you!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 7, 2005 12:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa,

CAn you tell me more about your father's hernia? I mean how long did his pain last, because your hubby recovered faster than me. Today is Saturday, and the pain is the same (or worse) than right after the surgery.
I wish I had never had it. I think there is something wrong with the mesh they put in. I think I read where it also can't be taken out again, but I cannot bear this much longer. Surgeon will not talk to me until next Thursday, but he already said on the phone He doesn't think it is the surgery, but it is. THe whole thing sends me into panic. I am so scared, besides the pain. Thanks,

Sorry for whining, but thanks again. I would do anything to get rid of the pain--anything. I am on maximum pain meds and Ativan for the nerves, but I have really got to get rid of the pain.

Margaret
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: May 7, 2005 7:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret,
I am so sorry you are still having that amount of pain! I do not know how long it takes to feel better after your surgery, but remember everyone is a little different in pain tolerance and in healing time. Please take good care of yourself! I know every pain or funny feeling I get with my chest scares me now, so I understand your concerns. I certainly hope your check-up on thursday is a good one. Let us know how you are doing. You have been a good friend to me. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a full and speedy recovery.
BIG HUGS!

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: