quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Re-learning and it's Hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 1:42 AM    Post subject: Re-learning and it's Hard Reply with quote

Very Happy As I layed in bed tonight with my terrible cold unable to sleep, I thought to myself, "my quit is like learning all over again how to emotionally function." It is rather scary too to think about it. I really do not crave cigarettes hardly anymore and the habit part of hand to mouth has gotten better, but it is the emotional crutch that I am having trouble adjusting without. Who knows, maybe it's nicodemon's lies trying to weaken me but I felt more emotionally stable when I smoked. I do realize though that this is a learning process for me and I must be patient.

And on another hand, besides the emotional hardship of my quit, the rest of it this time around seems too easy. I did not really have a whole lot of times where I felt like I would die without a cigarette like I did in previous quits. And to me it seems like in all reality with everything that transpired since I quit last December, that I should have been dying for a smoke much more than I had been. I chaulked it up to so many quits that I just had so much practice not to smoke.

I guess the main purpose of this post is that I feel the need to concentrate more on working on relapse prevention since I am starting to feel shakey in my quit. One of the ways I find I do that the best is just by typing whatever comes to mind at present while figuring out what's really gnawing at me.

Boy am I sleepy and need some sleep. I bought some Robitussin DM since the doctor usually tells me to take that.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 6:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara - the only things that can affect your quit are the things you allow to influence you. As quitters, you are right - we've lost our usual crutch - but there are so many other ways to cope with life's challenges - you are right to think things through and develop strategies. We have to learn to deal with our emotions since we can no longer hide behind the smoke-screen. Remember to take it one day at a time. You are in my prayers!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 6:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey barbara,
i know exactly what you mean about the emotional crutch. for me, i think it was a way to just step back from everything, as in "i'm angry/stressed/annoyed/etc, i'm going outside for a smoke." maybe we need to concentrate on finding other ways to deal with what life throws at us.
as far as the quit being easy, practice does mak perfect! i have had my rough points, but this one does seem easier than the rest.
hope your cold is better!
jenny
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 7:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just keep on typing. I hope you're doing well. I know this is a shaky time for you, but you can do this without smoking. We're all here for you Barb.

Nita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 11:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks all,

I wish this darn nasty cold I have would get better. It seemed better after 1st waking up today but it didn't stay better. I have monster capsules to take and wondered if I could swallow them with my swallowing problems. I can though.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
justdebbie

Quit Date:
August 1, 2004

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 1:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep those posts coming Barb. Don't ever let Laughing Demon get in the way. Keep postive thoughts Smile Smile you are a great quitter.

Hugs Deb
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 1:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you Deb,

I think inhaling that second hand smoke at my friend's house has the Laughing Demon trying to sneak back into my life at times since then. I plan to go to FFS and read some.

Blessings,

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: May 26, 2005 5:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day at a time Barbara...never forget...one day at a time.

If you are better than you were then you are doing something right. Never forget how strong you are. Do not give in to the demon. Silence the cries with your strengths.

If all else fails, pull out the big guns.

Sandyz
581 days breathing free

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 29, 2005 2:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Sandy,

That picture of the kitten made my night tonight. I was feeling kind of blah before that. Thanks

Blessings,

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: