quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S B Diet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 3:12 PM    Post subject: S B Diet Reply with quote

Hey,
I bought the South Beach Diet book and have been reading it in preparation to loose this excess baggage I am carrying around. I figured if I approached it like I did smoking,( by educating myself first) before I half tried a diet I could make excuses to fail on, then I could succeed. I have already cut way back on the amount and what I eat. I hope between Bob Greene who helped Oprah and this book, I will be one healthy person. I don't mind the weight as much as I want to feel the best I can. I certainly do not want to loose so much that the lizzard comes back to live in my legs...I would rather be pleasingly plump than stringy.... Laughing Laughing

Has anyone had any success in following the thought pattern of the South Beach Diet? I liked his approach much better than the Akins diet which I felt was a bit too strict and much bad fat was encouraged.

It is funny how you see your life differently as a non smoker....being in an unhealthy state of mindset is no longer acceptable....I look for at quality than quanity now a days!
Kay

Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 4:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kay,

I have, thank God, managed to get rid of an unwanted 10 pounds since January. There was no specified diet, just watching fat grams in food and keeping them to a minimum; lots of salads, fruits, etc.

I with you luck. Like you, I don't want to be as skinny as I was prior to quitting. Just want to be more comfortable in my clothes. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 8:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the SB diet at all but would love to hear about your book and diet in the future! ^_^
All i know is that its way popular and some grated cheese I have here at home says its SB diet.. hmm

hugs
mariko

Follow Your Bliss
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 11:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the book, and on the first day, I tried to go without my coke, and well I blew it! Never went back. So like all the other diet books I bought, they are on the shelve. BUt I did find it very interesting. I have never been interested in Atkins. I LOVE my carbs too much.

So I guess, I probably shouldn't have replyed. I wasn't too encouraging, now, was I? Embarassed

Sorry Kay!

I wish you luck, though!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 10:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kay, I used the sb diet to lose 36 pounds prior to my quit. I started it in December. By June I had lost 36 pounds. I quit in June and gained about 15 back, but I have been able to maintain my weight since then. I still rely on the main principles of the sb diet, lean protein, healthy carbs, and virtually eliminate white food items, sugar, white bread, white rice, etc. It's easy to follow and I have some pretty good recipes to share if you wish. My favorite low carb bread is Carb Counting by Orowheat. I still use that. And the Land of Lakes fat free half & half is still a favorite. Good luck!

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 6:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go Kay! Tonya gave some very encouraging words! Sounds to me like your on your way to a healthier , slimmer Kay! Wink

Heck, she even made me want to try the diet over again!

Thanks Tonya!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 5:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonya, I should have known you would know about this diet...sure send any receipes you would like to share or post here.... I am not coming off everything at once yet but tapering all of it back as I read the book so I will be ready....my big belly is already going down...no longer feel like people wonder if I am pregnant at my age Laughing Laughing

Londa, don't give up the coke, drink diet at least he says....there are so many great tips in the book that will help you lose weight or just eat a healthier meal.....egads, I did not know peanut butter and jelly was THAT bad for you....the jelly is a killer.....
Kay

flooringgirl

Quit Date:
January 30, 2005

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 6:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am up 8 lbs from this. I am going to go and get the book. Smile Thanks
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 22, 2005 10:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron went to a new cardioligist last week and he told him to get on the sb diet so I bought the book he started it Wed. already he has had a significant drop in his blood sugar levels, more than 50 points in a couple of days. (We had been trying for 2 weeks to get those levels done, with no success). He has lost weight and I can not believe the changes that have occured so fast. The heart doc said it would be like that. I am starting it after the doctor releases me to do so. The book is interesting and easy to read.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 22, 2005 10:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay and Tammy,

Well, add me in those ranks....I bought the book yesterday as my reward for 3 months! (Now isn't that a hoot!...another lifestyle change as a reward! Wink ) Started reading it last night.

As Tammy knows, my hubby, her brother...needs to lose some weight, and I could stand to lose also....so, here goes.

Here's to us girls....slimmer, trimmer, and healthier!!! Very Happy

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: May 22, 2005 10:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a co-worker who was able to drop her blood pressure to the point she was able to go off of her meds. Then after about three or four months she was also able to cease her insulin. Her diabetes was totally under control. It has to be a lifestyle change though as opposed to a "diet." It's the first "diet" that has ever made sense to me. If you are interested you must get the book and read it. They also have a web site that has a part that charges a fee, but it also has a lot of free information. The free portion sends you email updates with changes and recipes. It's kind of a long address, but here's the link. . . http://www.southbeachdiet.com/landing/index_sbd5.asp?promo=7BA99B16-34DE-438F-8F0D-D9B4A75063DB&gcid=S14058x001&keyword=south%20beach%20diet

Tonya

~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 22, 2005 10:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonya,

That's good to know. Hubby has high blood pressure, and that's why I want him to lose. Also, this is the first diet, I know he'll be able to live with over the long haul. Being on the road isn't diet friendly. But, with this he'll be able to. From what I've read so far, I'm impressed. Just basic rules, and no portion sizes...that will be really good for hubby. He hates to feel hungry!!

Thanks for the link!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 22, 2005 11:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonya. That is what I am hoping for for Ron and I both. That we can get off of some meds. This new heart doctor told Ron he would be able to so he is anxious and following the diet to the letter. He told me last night that he is feeling very satisfied and not hungry at all. I see the doctor Wed. So I hope he releases me so I can get started. Since Oct. I have lost 17.5 pounds but at least 10 of that has come off since I have been doing the diabetic food plan.

Deb, I am happy to hear you got the book. He can follow this plan. And yes yes yes, happier thinner new us wahooooo!

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 22, 2005 1:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the book after reading it was different from the Atkins diet in that good carbs and fat were not only allowed but encouraged...I never felt the Atkins diet was healthy...my son in law lost a lot but had horrible headaches and then gained the weight back.

I definitely feel it is a lifestyle change...I don't know if I will do the 2week phase 1 strict part yet or not....I do not want to lose any weight fast that I may just put back on.....I cannot believe how my pot belly went down by just making educated choices in the foods I ate....no potatos, rice and only whole grain bread maybe 1 pc a day.....my big thing has been eating breakfast and now after forcing myself this week...I want it!

My hubby is overweight also but he is hopeless....doesn't like veg except green beans, corn and potatos.....loves rice...his meals are meat/rice or meat/potato plus choc pudding, ice cream, etc. I keep reading him parts of the book but he claims I am just making it hard as usual Sad Sad so I will do what I can to stay focused but it is hard when he hands me pudding Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes or pulls into a restaurant that only serves meat and potatos as the main food. Laughing

As you read the book, you will find just how much this diet as it is called is good for your heart, blood sugar levels, blood pressure and general well being. My main goal is the health benefits more than the weight loss.
Kay

ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 7:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good substitute for the potato is a sweet potato. The recipe in the book for "Surprise Mashed Potatos" is lovely. You can use brown rice instead of white rice. And you might check out the fat free sugar free pudding mixes. The chocolate flavor is a favorite.

Tonya

~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: