quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm addicted to peanuts?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 1, 2005 7:16 PM    Post subject: I'm addicted to peanuts????? Reply with quote

For the first time in my life I have to lose weight. The combination of sitting in a wheelchair for 2 months and quitting smoking have presented me with a weight problem. And it's a big one since none of my clothes fit and I can't afford new ones.

What I'm not understanding is why I'm feeling the need to eat peanuts everyday. I didn't have an interest in eating them for years......now all of a sudden I can't stop eating them. They could be contributing to a weight problem or maybe my body truly needs them for healing.

Has anyone run into a situation like this .....where they crave a particular food?

Donna
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 1, 2005 9:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,

Maybe someone else will know more than me about this. I DID and still DO crave Gummi Bears--not nutrious at all--but a comfort food for me during my quit. Could the peanuts be a comfort food? I'm not sure, because peanuts are really a wholesome food, too, as I understand it. And tasty! I just wish I could eat them, but they give me Migraine, so I never can eat anything remotely related to a peanut product.

I can sympathize about the weight and wearing one's clothes! I had the problem for a while, but have now squeezed back into my clothes. Raw veggies were a good substitute for the Gummie Bears for me. Maybe you could eat half peanuts and half raw veggies? Just an idea.

You will do it. If you quit smoking, you can do anything!

Margaret
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 1, 2005 10:32 PM    Post subject: food cravings Reply with quote

i have never drank orange juice or eaten oranges..........nothing citrus., all my adult life. Guess what? since i quit i have been drinking 2 glasses of orange juice daily. my body is demading it and it tastes good. go figure. i am guessing my body needs the vitamin c . i love peanuts Very Happy i eat alot of nuts. i buy almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamians, and a few cashews and peanuts. walnuts and pecans are the very best nuts for you and peanuts and cashews are the worse. but i mix them all up and thats my "grab a handful" snack. very good for you cause nuts have the good fats, same as fish. but you have to eat the good nuts. anyway , yes i crave orange juice since i quit. Very Happy peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 1, 2005 11:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi,

I read some where in 03 that almonds are good when quitting smoking. Try buying the nuts in shells so it keeps your hands more busy than it does to eat the nuts. You won't have has much time to eat as many nuts if you are shelling them. My comfort food as Margaret puts it is Hershey kisses.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2005 8:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Donna, you and I are nut crazy....I just love them...I started the South Beach diet (well sorta) and it said I could eat 15 almonds as a snack so dumb me had some 3 to 4 times a day....15 at a time that is.... Laughing Laughing

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: June 2, 2005 9:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I apologize as I sent you a PM and called you Brenda, twice!

Anyway, congrats on your 4 months of quit. If exchanging a smoking addiction for a peanut addiction were bad I'm sure the peanut police will come knocking on your door, and there would be a quit peanuts forum somewhere on the net.

In the meantine if sometimes you feel like a nut, it's ok, because, sometimes you don't.

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 3, 2005 12:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

In certain cases, I know the body will tell us what it needs by way of a craving......I know I need protein right now for my muscles to heal.

My problem is that once I start eating them I can't stop....I'll have to find some other foods to mix in as well I've always been a believer in balance and not some of these strict diets on the market. I don't believe we need to completely give up a food that we love.

Anyway, still need to get into my clothes, and as soon as I can will start exercising.

And, FRANK, you are a "NUT"!

Donna
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 3, 2005 6:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,

I have been meaning to reply to this post. I think there is some chemical in nuts (other than just the protein) that we crave as we quit. I have a huge jar of soy nuts that I almost got rid of because I couldn't put it down.

The only way I "controlled" this craving was last summer I made a huge jar of trail mix. I put a 1/4 cup measuring cup into the jar and would not let myself have any more ~ one per day. I went to Whole Foods and got non-salted nuts and dried fruit. After this huge jar was gone I simply did not let myself make any more ~ just too tempting. Crying or Very sad

I don't eat red meat and I gave up pork on New Year's, so my protein has to come from different sources. It isn't the same as our wonderful nuts, but fat free yogurt mixed with flavorings (like coffee, berries, etc.) does help with some of the cravings.

I don't know, I even thought it might have been a childhood issue ~ I grew-up eating nuts and lost the parent that I shared this love with. But, I think I simply love them. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hope you get well soon! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: June 3, 2005 6:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, when I quit, all of a sudden I had a taste for peanuts and peanut butter. Which I have really never been crazy about before. If I get ice cream I have to have hot fudge and peanut butter sauce on top with reeses cups! (Really cut back on those big time!)

Somethings just taste good to us all of a sudden!

You were in a wheel chair? What happened? You okay now?

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 3, 2005 9:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

last time i quit i had a thing about sardines for a while as i remember...strange..

Hope
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 3, 2005 9:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I just had to say Frank cracked me up with his remark. And I'll have to remember that it should be the balance of foods to think about.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 3, 2005 10:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning out to be very interesting. There's a number of us who felt a need for peanuts.......as well as other foods, sweets. and juices.
Especially when we really didn't eat or drink these items previously when we smoked.......has me wondering......???? Perhaps as our bodies started the healing process. it needed whatever we were craving. And, maybe, for the first time....we were listening.

I believe as we clean ourselves out from the toxins, sweets, and junk foods, etc, We'll know exactly what we need.

It's all about BALANCE in foods. I will never believe there's anything wrong with the occasional treats we love either.

Donna

Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 4, 2005 11:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Donna. I don't remember that I craved anything in particular when I quit smoking (just everything in general). But, I quit drinking 4 months ago, and I've eaten more fruit than ever in my life. all day, every day. Apples, bananas, pears, whatever. And I've put on some weight in the process, but I don't really care.

As for your nut passion, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you find it's harmful to you some how, you can always cut back. But I think you are right that sometimes your body just needs something....and and is smart enough to make us want to eat what it needs! Go with it for now, and I'll bet that you'll find it's just a temporary desire.

I say, give yourself whatever you want....as long as it's not a cigarette!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
wiley

Quit Date:
March 20, 2005

PostPosted: June 5, 2005 10:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting stuff.........

just for clarification peanuts are not nuts...........they are legumes and belong to the pea and bean family..... try getting the peanuts in the shell, shelling them slows down how fast you eat them and thus you usually eat less........... peanuts are great sources of protein, but they are pretty high on the calorie scale.........

funny I have lots of different food cravings since quitting...I'm hoping they pass, gummi bears, coffee, bacon, stuff I never used to eat much of if at all..........

Wiley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: