quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Big bad smoking dream...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 8:26 AM    Post subject: Big bad smoking dream... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I had a real disturbing smoking dream last night, so much so that I woke up thinking that I had not only smoked, but had relented to the fact that I was a smoker again!!! Here's how I know my education worked: While I was smoking, I remember taking a hit, and then looking down at the cigarette. I started to recite the Smoker's Vow. For those of you not familiar with the smoker's vow, please allow me to share it with you. I got it off of whyquit.com and it is somthing to be said just before taking your first puff after having quit for any appreciable period of time:

The Smoker's Vow:

With this puff I enslave myself
To a lifetime of addiction.
While I can't promise to always love you,
I do priomise to obey every craving and
Support my addiction to you
No matter how expensive you become.

I will let no husband or wife,
No family or friend,
No Doctor or any other health professional,
No employer or government policy,
No burns or no stench,
No cough or raspy voice,
No cancer or emphysema,
No heart attack or stroke,
No threat of loss of life or limbs,
Come between us.

I will smoke you forever
From this day forth,
For better or worse,
Whether richer or poorer,
In sickness and in health,
Till death do us part.

I have no idea what happened after that because during this recitation, I either woke up, or the dream just dissipated. I'm still smoke free. But that truly scared me. The Smoker's Vow was one of the things I printed out and kept in my pocket when I first quit. It's still there!! It kept me from smoking. It still will, but I was absolutely freaked out. I've had smoking dreams before, but never quite this purposefully defiant to my quit. I awoke a bit shaken, and very, very tired. I'm at work, but wanted to see what y'all thought of that one. I know from past experience, that we can be each other's dream interpreters too!!

Bless,

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 9:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about interpreting the dream, but I do know that your life is a little hectic right now and big things are on the horizon...I'm convinced the subconscious mind is responsible for housecleaning...getting rid of junk we need to let go of. Perhaps as you're sorting and packing, your mind is doing the same. Packing up that Juanita who used to smoke, so the new Juanita who sings with that beautiful voice of hers can move on!!!

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 9:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanita

Dreams are so weird. I had my first smoking dream last week, and I couldn't believe I broke my quit. I was ready to cry. It was very realistic.

Anyway it never occured to me to print this thing out, I have done that now, thank you.

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 9:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanita ~ Even though you had a crazy and wild dream...You came on here and gave us the most positive post! Thank you! I had never seen the Smoker's Vow....Thank you for sharing!

God Bless and just keep swimming!!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 9:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's freaky. I've never been a good one at interpreting dreams...but I like Lynn's explanation a lot.

I've had dreams that I've consciously not smoked, and were mainly about other things...but remember thinking that I don't smoke anymore...but haven't really had the one where I woke up positive that I had smoked!

anyway...like Lynn says.....maybe is part of the packing and end of phase of life.

I had a dream last night about working in a meat van, and sorting out cuts of meat and putting them in containers in the van. Help?

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 9:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanita, Glad it was only a night mare Scowling Demon and not the real thing. I'd say it was sa good sign that you awoke felling so scared. It shows you that you can never ever have wven one puff.

Sweet dreams tonight. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 10:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't those dreams real?? And scary.
If you are anything like me it actually hovers over you for quite a while even though you know it was a dream. I have no insightful interpretation of your dream, but thank God it was just that....a dream. You are going through lots of life changes, so any type of dream would not surprise me. Just keep up the quit...keep up the journey to your wonderful new life experiences. You have such an exciting road to travel. Keep it up Nita. I am looking forward to going on this journey with you....albeit through these boards.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 10:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nita,

My first dream terrified me I was so sure I broke my quit I woke up hysterical. They lasted for a couple months on and off (not really too frequent for me) and then they went away. You are at the right point in your quit to be going through this. In other words you are having an altogether normal quit.

You are fighting the addiction in your sleep as well as awake and I think that is a good sign. As disturbing as they might be I don't think you need to worry. Have you started dreaming about Europe yet? Very Happy

I wish you peace.

alison
ajc3436

Quit Date:
November 30, 2003

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 11:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the vow. I am going to keep it close to me as well
Audrey
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 12:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,

It really did freak me out. I think I just truly needed to be reminded, that I awoke from this dream, and it was in fact just that...though it took my body quite a while to recover. Just thinking about it sends shockwaves through me. I won't falter this quit and know that smoking isn't an option...thank you all....

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
smokefree04

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 3:15 PM    Post subject: RE: Dreams Reply with quote

Juanita:

It is possible that by posting about the dream it may not reoccour. I was quite worried about smoking dreams I was having and at the time posted on FFS about it. I believe it was about 2 weeks ago and I havent' had a dream since. Very Happy
nurseliz

Quit Date:
April 13, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2004 10:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me occasionally to, just weird that I had a dream last night and read this today. Thanks for that smokers vow I never saw that before.; Very good.
Liz 3 weeks freee

*** Have a Magical Day****

Liz
skiermom

Quit Date:
July 25, 2003

PostPosted: May 5, 2004 7:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job...........you should be so proud of you!!!! Very Happy

Today is a gift........enjoy it!

Eileen
Blue Jam

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 9, 2004 8:43 AM    Post subject: Smoking dreams are common... Reply with quote

Loda of people have them and the themes are common...
the first time I quit I had a really intense dream about being at a party and having a fag. The inhilation was so real... the smoke caressing the inside of your lubngs, the niccotene and other chems rushing through your brain, the sickfeeling when you realise you have not had one for ages...not used to it... HANG ON! SHIT, I fotgot, I quit! Oh not, I've had a fag!...intense guilt is the key emotion.

This guilt stays with you for hours when you wake up, maybe it's something from a chemical the tobacco comapnies put into fags which stays in your system and trigger a dream when you don't have a fag for ages.

Maybe it'syou bodies way of telling you how you will feel when you have a fag.

I've not had one yet this time but that could be becuase I'm still having niccotene via my inhilator.

Don't let greed kill.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 9, 2004 11:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a dream about smoking last night...but I was dreaming in my dream.. if that makes any sense. I wake up in my dream, and ask Bill, did I have cigarettes last night, and he says yes two....and I had the pack with two gone....but don't remember smoking them. Obviously I was upset in my dream. so strange how the mind works.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: