quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

And I thought I was
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: June 20, 2005 8:34 PM    Post subject: And I thought I was Reply with quote

I had my doctor's appt today....finally got the knot checked under the armpit....we are watching it to see if it continues to go down before I have it biopsied...that is the good news...

I had to take the breather test today...ya know the one where you inhale a deep breath and then blow it out through this tube...I refer to it as taking my brain away test because I blow out so hard....Well, I thought I would pass it with flying colors...after all, I am a non smoker now and it had been 9 years since my last test!!!! The first test I scored an 88% but today he said I was loosing ground because I scored a 73% so I am on an inhaler everyday now....it is one for COPD which is the first time he has said it looked like I had some obstruction for sure.

I knew most of us would not escape the bad side effects of smoking but I had hoped I would not see any more of them any time soon....It through me....hell, I still have a hard time recognizing the old lady in the mirror and now I will have to accept that she is losing her lung capacity too....now that is a bummer!!! In my heart and my mind, I feel like I am still that 30 something.....where did she go????????
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 20, 2005 10:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kay,

That's difficult news to hear Shocked Hang in there. After a while it seems that all we're doing is patching and repairing our bodies and getting by as best as we can. But the Spirit.....that's the 30 yr. old.....how you feel.......how you cope.....your joy, love, hope, courage......everything that's important.

Your Spirit is full of silliness and laughter......it's what I'm sure many love about you. You Rock Girl !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Donna
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 6:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Kay, I'm sorry to hear you got bad news on your test results. The smoking would have done further damage. We both know that. So be proud of yourself for maintaing your Quit. That thirty year old is still in there. I think the last time I saw her Mustang Sally was playing! Be safe and be well. My thoughts are with you.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 7:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, you havn't gone anywhere! I never knew you when you where 30 but if you feel 30 that is great! I always pick on myself and tell everyone I am an old lady! Cuz I grayed so early in life. But you know what! I have a mind of a 20 year old! I love to have fun, I love to laugh, play jokes, sing.

I am sorry to hear about your lung progress. It must be disappointing to you. BUt this is not the end. Are their any breathing exercises you can do that will help? I have never had one of these test done. Do you feel better when you use the inhaler? My stepmother has to use one. She was a smoker all her life and quit when she was in her late sixties.

She travels all the time and enjoys life immensely. I am so glad God has put her in my life.

When I read your posts, I hear a really sweet, joyful person that I would love to meet some day! You sound like you have a heart of gold and are fun to be with!

( Being the hypocondriact like I am, I am now breathing deep in and out as I write this) It is amazing, when wh smoked we didn't give a damn! Now if we could take it all back! BUT we can move forward. It is never too late!

God Bless YOu KAY! You young wild thing you! Go out and ride ole Gus and have a good time!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 8:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, I am so sorry. Crying or Very sad

Sending you good thoughts! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 9:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, kay, chances are that you did better on the test than you would've while you were still smoking (or right after you quit); i did really bad on mine the week i quit, but a year and a half later, i'd improved almost 30% - too bad you didn't go for the test either while you were still smoking (or right after you quit) so you'd have a better baseline; i think anybody in our age group would show some loss of capacity after 9 years.

i'd suggest that you have the test again in a year and see how it compares to now; i think you'll feel better...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 11:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kay,

I, too, have lost lung capacity and am using inhalers (2 of them). However, during the year+ I've been smoke free, my capacity has increased and I've been able to go from 8 inhalations to 2 or 3 on the one inhaler. I'm very pleased with the results and am certain you'll see improvement also. I'm just happy you took the lung function test and are now being treated. Without the treatment, your improvement may be less.

You're really only 20, you know, if that's how you feel. I sure don't feel like I'm 68 but, like you, that gray haired woman in the mirror must be me. However, life is far too short to worry about numbers. It seems that you really enjoy life so just keep enjoying. Very Happy Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 12:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can lung capacity be regained? Kerry
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 12:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all the best and of course I am over feeling sorry for myself...after all, he told me to quit after the first test and I knew I should...what is done is done so I have to move forward and make the best of it....but now I know why I am so worn out after I pull myself up on Gus or I have to walk him up a hill...I was suppose to be using the inhaler but thought it was too strong since it was for COPD patients and I was not listed as such.....the doctor said yesterday he felt it was one of the best out there and that is why he put me on it and not to worry about labels for now. Then of course he told me how attractive I still was and all the other things I pay him to say... Laughing Laughing

I guess it was just the shock of reality that I am not a spring chicken anymore and dag burn it, not immortal.

Kay

kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 12:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, when I was initially diagnosed with loss of lung function, the pulmonologist told me that, after a short while of using the inhalers, I would feel like Lazarus risen from the dead. He hit the nail on the head. I've had much more energy and don't feel so "drug out" anymore. Of course, quitting cigs helped too. I think you're going to notice some big changes in your stamina.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 1:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay,

Sorry to hear about the COPD. I have 2 inhalers also.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 7:14 PM    Post subject: Kay Reply with quote

You might be loosing it because you are not using it. Try this for me over the next few months as inhaler's are usually a steroid base and you won't want to be on them long term unless you have to. Lesson number 1: Breath in through your NOSE(shut the mouth Wink ) Breath IN until your belly feels full. Hold for the count of 3 then exhale through your mouth slowly till your belly feels like it has sucked into your backbone. Start with a repeat of 5 or so and move to ten at a time 3 to five times a day. You will then be learning to use the bottom half of your lungs which is something most people never do as they are not aware of it. Good luck. Very Happy

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
hereIgoAgain

Quit Date:
May 27, 2005

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 9:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can improve your lung capacity with breathing exercises and physical excercise.

I know of a 20 year lung cancer survivor who has only one lung. His lung capacity is that of a person with two lungs and he rides bike races all over the country raising money for lung cancer research.

His name is David Piercy.

Also, I just want to add how important it is to get annual CXR (Chest X-rays) or CT's if your insurance will allow. Most Dr. will order them if you tell them your smoking history.

I'm sorry about the news- from here, you "look" like a spring chicken to me! LOL Wink

K.I.T.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 9:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get Dr. Andrew Weil's "Breathing" audio CD. I have it and it's awesome. Kerry
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: June 21, 2005 11:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been walking everyday, doing chores etc and then my daughter started doing the housework for me....hubby retired and I just got out of the routine of my exercising.... I MUST get back on track....this hurt the results I am sure...

So, daughter got fired Laughing Laughing she was losing too much weight doing both her house and mine with the little ones....and as much as I want to replace her, I am going to get my own butt moving again first.

I had complained earlier in the year about the snot and fatique I kept having....snot is gone but the tiredness lingered on...I tried to run like Tonya but could not go far without being VERY short of breath. I can walk all day on a flat surface but no hills please. This is one of those sad memories, I was the fastest kid in school for 8 years straight...the 9th I smoked....
Kay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: