quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Awful Perfume!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 5, 2005 10:27 PM    Post subject: Awful Perfume! Reply with quote

Since this really is not much about smoking, it should probably be under Rambles, but, I am so upset that I wanted to RANT! My neighbor, whom I really like a lot, stopped to say "hi" outside the building, and she hugged me, before I could gather my wits and figure out a nice way to ask her not to. Is there such a thing? Confused You see, she was wearing this heavy, and (to me) horrible perfume!! Shocked If only people would realize that others do not LIKE perfume! I hate it! And I am also allergic to most of it. So now I have itchy eyes, a runny nose, etc. and I have changed clothes, but still can smell it, and will now have to shower AND wash my hair! And I hope I can get the smell out of my clothes (they will have to be washed, too!) Rolling Eyes

I want to enjoy my Quit with my new nose, not get sick from it!~ Truth be told, I could smell perfumes like this almost as well before I quit smoking, and only wish folks knew that they are just as offfensive as tobacco smells.

Well, there you have it! Thanks for listening! Smile

ANd yes, it could have been worse, if she had smelled of smoke! Rolling Eyes Wink

Margaret
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 5, 2005 10:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand exactly how you feel. But, I will add one more dimension. I can't stand most perfumes (and like you, never could). But....I honestly can't tell how much I put on myself. I realized this one day on my "third spray" of my favorite perfume. I thought, "hmmmm.....should I be spraying that much!?!?!?" Shocked

Well, I think it is like the smell of tobacco smoke. It is really hard to know how you smell, since you are so accustomed to the smell. Crying or Very sad Embarassed

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2005 2:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is true. It is hard to tell how much you put on yourself. I remember from back when I used to wear them thinking that same thing. Although some of them are nice, and I often wish I could wear them, I don't for 2 reasons: I am afraid of using one that someone else won't like, or using too much (our noses are so different), and the other reason being that I might start to sneeze or throw out a rash myself! Rolling Eyes

I have a lot of odors that bother me, however. As much as I would like to shop at Pier 1, I dare not! It is one of the worst places for smells! I just sneeze, eyes water, choke up, can't breathe--I'm a mess in that store!

On the other hand, the Opera house here forbids the use of perfume, and the ushers will ask you to leave if you wear it, so in addition to liking opera, I get to really enjoy it without worry of "perfume" attacks! Smile Laughing

All this makes me wonder how did I EVER stand the smell of cigs, and be so thankful I don't have to anymore! Smile

Margaret
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 6, 2005 5:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Interesting Margaret about the opera house.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: July 6, 2005 6:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, I wear perfume and there is a lady in our building who is allergic to a certain kind, so I make sure I never wear it to work. I would rather have someone tell me, then to be a cause of their suffering. All you have to do is smile and say " I would love to hug you but I am allergic to perfumes of many kinds, so please do not take this personally." Any kind person will respect that and your wishes.

And Margaret, if there is a chance that we do get to meet, remind me, and I will make sure to not wear my perfume. Cuz I wanna hug! Wink

You have a wonderful day!

God Bless!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 6, 2005 9:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa, that's such a kind way of asking not to be hugged. You have the biggest heart around.

Margaret, I know exactly how you feel about perfume. I quit using it years ago for just that reason; I was concerned that I would overdo without realizing. If people only knew that one drop is enough, we wouldn't have to worry about overly fragrant hugs.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: July 6, 2005 1:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting about the opera house, i never knew that! I also don't like strong scents or perfume or cologne.

i used to wear perfume but now i opt for 1 spray of victoria secret body splash, its not too perfumey and smells fresh.

Follow Your Bliss
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: July 7, 2005 9:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret pull yourself together you are living in a fish bowl. Everyone likes to smell yummy. My hubby is also allergic but most of the after affects are mind over matter once the contaminant has been removed. Wink Smile as a hug is always a good thing even if the poor dear stank. Laughing

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 7, 2005 11:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed boy am I guilty here...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 7, 2005 11:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilty of what Kay? I wear perfume all the time. I love it and I make no apologies Very Happy Kerry
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: July 8, 2005 3:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear perfume also usually the flowery or cool smelling ones. I don't like them strong but I still like them. I am quilty of wearing as much as possible of them as once I put it on I can't smell it so I add more Shocked Embarassed

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2005 4:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leona, you're not guilty of anything!!!!
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2005 8:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guilty of offending those with allergies to the perfume....I never stopped to think about it...only that I enjoyed the smell but did not think about others not enjoying it or having a reaction to it.
Kay

Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2005 8:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think guilt is too strong a word. Guilt implies that you've done something wrong. I highly doubt that you put perfume on just to piss someone off. What you did was inadvertant. I may go to the park and eat a peanut butter sandwich and happen to sit next to someone who is highly allergic to peanuts. Was I guilty? Should I stop eating peanut butter in the park? I personally don't think so.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2005 11:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Kerry! I guess I should have said I just never thought of it that way.....I used to wear a fragrance called INTIMATE in high school that left me unforgetable Laughing Laughing
Kay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: