quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tackling New Addictions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanessa

Quit Date:
March 7, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 9:44 AM    Post subject: Tackling New Addictions Reply with quote

Hello all. It's nice to still read from familiar names and great to see the progress of some new quitters. Keep up the good work.

I have been feeling the need to visit somewhere familiar and safe. So I came here. I have been tackling some other unhealthy behaivor in my life beyond quitting smoking and really seem to be struggling. I have recently admitted that I am a compulsive overeater. Now for me, this means that I eat more than my body nutritionally needs and that refined sugar puts me into an over eating tailspin.

I have been seeing a nutritionist and behaivorilist for a few months and although have lost 20+ pounds, I needed more. I needed people, like me, that could relate. People that wouldn't think it was dumb for me to admit that I have a problem and need help. At first, I thought it was dumb too. I mean really, just cut calories, exercise, and change your eating patterns to achieve your goal...right? It just didn't seem that black and white for me. The last time I admitted that I needed help, it was from smoking and I found people here like me dealing with the same issues.

Now embarking on this new journey, I find that I needed a familiar place to go to help ease some fears and release some anxiety about changing and seeing truths. I hope that I can feel as free as I did when I quit smoking at the end of this journey.

Thanks for letting me ramble!

Don't accept your current situation as a permanent station in life. You have the power to change. Strive for more.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 11:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Vanessa, and welcome back to woofmang.

You wrote that you needed people who wouldn't think you were dumb to admit to having a problem. Admission of problems is never dumb. Ignoring the tell-tale signs of problems is what's dumb. You've seen your problem, identified it and are working on solving it. GOOD FOR YOU!!

Sounds to me like you're on the right track working with a nutritionist and behavioralist. Hey, you've lost 20+ pounds already. Fantastic!! Just keep on keepin' on, Vanessa. Just like giving up cigs, this can be accomplished. Never give up on yourself.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 11:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see you again, vanessa! Smile i hope you'll feel free to post about your experiences with your new challenge; many quitters deal with similar issues, so i'm sure the discussion will be of value to many of us here.

and btw: your signature says it all: you have the power to change. it's the power of choice.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 3:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Vanessa,

Welcome back. I can totally relate to you. I really overeat the chocolate like it was nothing. I've thought about going through FFS again and instead of using it for smoking cessation, use it for chocolate cessation. I have a hard time staying away from chocolate becuase it is a fix me up of my emotions when they are not what they should be. In other words, chocolate is my crux. To some over eating anything may be a crutch. I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a support group for people who use food as cruxes. I hope you do and will keep posting.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 6:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....HELP!!! Shocked I have never had a weight problem in my life....have never needed to diet....I'm pretty clueless about this whole area and now I need to lose 25 lbs.

Moreover, I think that I have also taken on a new addiction....peanuts!!!!!
I can't stop eating them and do so on a daily basis. Also feel a panic when I'm almost out so I consider this an addiction albeit a healthier one than smoking I'm not understanding this strange need....it only started when I quit. There could be something in them that I need as a part of healing after a very bad accident.....I don't know!!!! Confused .

Anyway....they (lbs) have to go and I'm not having any success.....probably because I can't stop eating these peanuts!!!! Rolling Eyes

Donna
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 7:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Donna,

Maybe Vanessa, you, and I need to come up with a plan for getting and giving continued support in weight loss and stick to it. I think that many others would join. Btw, I can see how peanuts would be additive.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 7:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am so glad you posted this.....I seem to need to lose some extra baggage also... I don't like being this size...not that I am that big and to some they would just slap me for complaining but it is just not me. I always ate alot as a child before I became a smoker and the habit is back. I do not know if it is habit or that my body is seizing the chance for some good food...I crave nuts, but I really eat alot of healthy food...alot...I am the one to invite to dinner if you want someone drooling over your hard cooked meal...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 8:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellness is multi-faceted and weight control and good nutrition are important parts of wellness! I've been losing weight - and its a good feeling - but I have more to go! I'm like waiting for the other shoe to fall and I get stymied by a plateau, or just lose interest or control and revert to my old habits. A food relapse...is a bigger worry than a smoking relapse!
Having the accountability of my weight watchers group has been key for me. It is a good thing to not feel alone in the weight fight - just as not feeling isolated in quitting smoking was essential for me. It comes back to our choices....We can do it!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 13, 2005 9:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY.....I'm in. Where do we start???? Sounds like Mary and Vanessa have some experience in this. And Barb and Kay, you always have good ideas.

Frankly, if we all quit smoking......what a feat that is.......I really believe we can do anything. That's a HUGE VICTORY.......we need to stand proud over that. It takes a lot of control to make that choice and we continue to do it no matter what we're dealing with in our lives. Let's give ourselves a big hand of applause!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I just don't think I can give up peanuts! Sad

Donna
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 14, 2005 7:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey Donna,

I will put on my thinking cap and try to think of where a good starting point would be. I say we do a survey to see how many people would be willing to set a date with as many others we can get so we can start to work on our food addictions and to start trimming our bodies. Just like in FFS when we set a date. Anyone know how to get this started? We could have a weekly weigh in online in the group, and post before we blow our diet.

Blessings,

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Vanessa

Quit Date:
March 7, 2004

PostPosted: July 14, 2005 10:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW. I had no idea that this would spur such conversation. Somone said that WELLNESS is multi-faceted. I believe this. I believe if I can get the entire package healthy than bad habits and addictions will be easier to combat on a daily basis.

I was really "white knuckling" and struggling losing control over my eating habits that I really needed to come and post. I felt bad in doing that here because it's a smoking cessation website, but my gut is telling me that it can all be interconnected.

Thanks for validating my anxieties and I will absolutely be a part of a team to support each other in this new endeavor.

I have learned that, for me, it's so much more than cutting calories and getting to the gym...it's about sanity and finding my way out of the "clutches" of my addictive behaivor. That's pretty multi-faceted to me.....

Don't accept your current situation as a permanent station in life. You have the power to change. Strive for more.
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: July 14, 2005 2:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Vanessa,

I am finding that I am eating more often than I usually do....I do not want to substitue food for nicotine....But I fear that is what I am doing...

I cannot pickup another orange, but chip and dip are now the featured food of the day......Ugh

I am all for this discussion.....

Pam

2 weeks, 4 days, 10 hrs., 57 min free of nicotine

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
UB

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 14, 2005 3:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed when I read your post. I could have written it myself. It would be a lot easier if we could take care of the food addiction the same way we did the smoking. Unfortunately we can't go cold turkey with the turkey. Laughing I've managed to lose 6+ lbs the last 2 weeks with weight watchers. Got to have the support, though. Learned that with the cigarette addiction--support is necessary.
Have a good evening.

Alice
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: July 14, 2005 7:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Vanessa, I'm in, I could stand to shed a few extra pounds myself. Good luck to all of us.

Smile

Essie
4/14/04
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 14, 2005 9:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you just sit at night and eat one thing after the other? I find I will much on almonds for a while then switch to sunflower seeds or something small....I did better just eating a bowl of ice cream....

Exercise I believe is going to be my key...I should never have listened to hubby and joined the gym,
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: