quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Quitting without cravings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ophelia

Quit Date:
July 6, 2005

PostPosted: August 10, 2005 9:05 AM    Post subject: Quitting without cravings Reply with quote

Hello, everyone.

Just after I quit a 42 year old smoking habit, cold turkey, I joined this website specifically to ask the question: "How could I ingest these cigarette poisons for 42 years, and have NO CRAVINGS when I quit? How could this be possible?"

Although I received many supportive replies, no one really knew the answer. My doctor couldn't answer the question, and was also mystified.

I think I stumbled across the answer this past weekend.

Background: For the last 10 years of my 42 year smoking habit, I smoked American Spirit cigarettes. This is the brand that has no additives or chemicals, just 100% tobacco. A friend had recommended them to me because he said that they 'taste better, and you smoke way less'. He was right. They cost more, but you actually smoke about 1/2 as much, so you actually 'save' money.

This past weekend, I had occasion to visit with the marketing staff of American Spirit Tobacco at a festival that my company produces. As we chatted about my quit smoking experience, I mentioned that the wierdest thing about it was that I have had NO CRAVINGS. Almost in unison, the 4 marketing people said: "That's because you smoked our brand. Our brand is easier to quit than all of the others. We have no chemicals or additives in our brand. The average cigarette contains 400+ chemicals. etc, etc. "

I now believe that the answer to why I have no cravings is because I smoked these chemical / additive free cigarettes.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 10, 2005 9:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ophelia,

All I can say is....WOW!!!!

Maybe this cigarette smoking is a bit more than just being addicted to nicotine, maybe we are addicted to only God knows how much more "stuff" also. Makes one wonder! Shocked

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: August 10, 2005 12:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know about the claim this company makes of no withdrawals.. But according to the dictionary Nicotine is a chemical, a colorless, highly toxic, liquid alkaloid, obtained from tabacco...

According to my doctor, once the brain recieves the nicotine it sets up recepters, because nicotine releases a natural chemical in our bodies that relaxes and sooths us. From that point on our brains are rewired to accept this poison....He gave me this in layman's terms....

So maybe more reading on this study needs to be done. I was a 50 year smoker, also quitting cold turkey.....

I am so glad that you had no withdrawals.....I also had very few durning the first 3 days and was quite easy for me....Now I am dealing with the memories and the brain saying," HEY YOU, you always had a cigarette when you did this, how come not now," Daily struggle with those smoking memories......

I am so glad that you are doing fine with your quit...Care for this precious quit, life is so much healthier without that nicotine......

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 10, 2005 3:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read several studies that have claimed that ~98% of people who smoke regularly for a given period of time do so because they're addicted to nicotine. while most people concentrate on the 98%, this also clearly implies that ~2% of people who smoke regularly are not addicted. my mother believed that she was one of those 2%, and her experience with quitting seemed to bear that out: she told me once that she never once had a crave after she stopped smoking. she couldn't understand why it was so hard for me and my father and brother to quit.

it's entirely possible that you are one of those 2% who never became addicted. it's also possible that you're just having an easy time of it early on, like pam, and it will get harder for you at some point down the road. it's hard to say, because we're all different, and no two people will experience quitting exactly the same way.

as to the claims of the american spirit cigarettes marketing staff, i don't believe them for a minute. of course they're going to tell you that their product is better for you than those other companies' products; their job is to sell cigarettes. and, as such, they are merchants of death and nothing more - the same as the marketing staff of r.j. reynolds and every other tobacco company.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 10, 2005 6:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend smokes American Spirit. She quit a couple of months before I did. She went back to smoking the month after I quit. She still smokes.
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 10, 2005 9:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ophelia -

What's completely wonderful is that YOU are having such an easy go of it. THAT is all that really matters - who really cares why that is - just CELEBRATE! CONGRATS!

-Zuzu

Last edited by Zuzu on December 27, 2005 11:52 PM; edited 1 time in total
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 27, 2005 4:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ophelia I am so happy for you you are very lucky Smile

I still get cravings every day but will continue on smoke free & I smoked supposedly chemical free loose tobacco Confused
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 17, 2005 1:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to post re the 2 per cent of people who do not get addicted to smoking, but I see that Kevin has already done that.

Whether one is addicted or not, smoking will kill you. Pure tobacco is the most deadly form, according to my personal observations (and opinion), not to de-emphasize all those other chemicals in other brands which will certainly kill you also. One of my friends who died of smoking-related illness in her 40's smoked cigarettes that she hand-rolled....bought the tobacco and papers. My uncle who died of lung cancer did the same for many years, although I believe he had switched to something else near the end.

In any event, I agree with whoever said the important thing is that you quit smoking! Keep up the Quit. It is vital to your health, as I'm sure you already know.

I don't believe the claims of any companies that sell any form of cigarettes. I even tried cigarettes with no tobacco in them at all (some kind of health store cig)!....and still I was addicted....and also tried those American Spirits. I also found them really shocking to my system, but didn't know why until now.

I'm glad the quit was easy for you. I've heard of people who had it easier than I did certainly, but never met anyone until now with no symtoms at all.
Be careful that you do not go back to them, because of it being easier for you to stop. Enjoy your Freedom! And thank you for an interesting post.

Margaret
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: November 17, 2005 1:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Honeyrose herbal to help me quit .........what a joke thinking of it now it did nothing at all except i rolled more tobacco in a cig as i never got the 'hit' my verdict is anything you light up with fire & suck on will kill you.

Simone

Still quit but struggling along.

Up-dated.

I say 'No' to anything that goes in your mouth & has to be lit up I am so glad I threw out my tobacco I have good days & nasty ones but mostly they are all ok-smoking is a killer plain ugly .I can now smell a smoker I swear a mile or K away it is horrible thank god I quit & thank god for all the support of this forum that has helped me through the worst times of my life.

I can BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!

My name is Simone, and I am a nicotine addict.
I have stopped nicotine for 10 months, 25 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes and 13 seconds (329 days).

I've not smoked 6588 death sticks, and saved $3,005.28.
I've saved 22 days, 21 hours and 2 minutes of my life.
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: September 26, 2006 10:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that this quit will be relatively easy. Stranger things have happened. But if it does, don't think this didn't mean you were addicted. The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.

Quote: Joel Spitzer
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 27, 2006 10:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCanQuit wrote:
You may find that this quit will be relatively easy. Stranger things have happened. But if it does, don't think this didn't mean you were addicted. The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.

Quote: Joel Spitzer

I am fully 110% aware I will a " Nicotine Addict" for ever it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life & I still get a cravings but I just hang on to the thought it is now something I have to control. I still find it a struggle but well worth it.It really is horrifying to think one puff & back to square one so to me there is no 'one puff' as hard as it is.
freebirdgirl

Quit Date:
August 24, 2009

PostPosted: September 3, 2009 2:21 AM    Post subject: I DON'T KNOW IF WHAT I FEEL IS ACTUALLY A "CRAVING" Reply with quote

WHEN I GO WITH OUT NICOTENE, I GET JITTERY, NERVOUS, IRRATABLE, ANTSY, RESTLESS, AND I WANT TO EAT ALL THE TIME. DOES NOT MATTER WHAT JUST AS LONG AS I AM EATING SOMETHING. AND I'D RATHER BE FAT THAN DEAD.
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 3, 2009 9:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walk /run do pilates, yoga I have been quit now for 4 years, 4 months, 4 days, 23 hours, 38 minutes and 54 seconds (1588 days).But still chew sugar free gum Very Happy

I've not smoked 41314 death sticks, and saved $24,162.72.
I've saved 143 days, 10 hours and 48 minutes of my life.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2009 10:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simone! You are a great quitter!! Freebird girl...Nicotine withdrawal isn't pretty!! But if you keep it going - you will turn a corner and those symptoms will fade....and you will be free from one on the worlds most addictive substances - nicotine! One day at a time!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: