quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need Encouragement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 12:24 AM    Post subject: Need Encouragement Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all,

Today I had my intake appointment with the Dept. of Rehab. for assistance in getting employed again. To be honest, after the appointment, I started getting cold feet about working. Yep, just like getting cold feet when marrying someone. I have not worked since 1995 or 1996, my work history seems fuzzy to me. I am starting to wonder if I will be able to hold down a job again due to my limitations. I have not had to make such a committment such as a job in so long that it now scares me.

This is really reminding me of quitting smoking in a big way. It is making a committment but to an employer and not myself. It is making me nervous like I was before I quit. I am having doubts now about working like I did about quitting smoking.

I guess I just need some confidence in myself. I am afraid of letting down an employer or myself. I do have a lot of physical problems and emotional problems like fear of driving. I guess though the good news about that though is that because I have so many disabilities, I'll get bumped up in line for assistance from the Dept. of Rehab. My counselor 1st explained to me that because the funding was so low I may have to be put on a long waiting list depending on how bad I needed their service. I would have thought with so many disabilities the Dept. of Rehab. would not see me as employable as someone with less disabilites. But the more disabled you are, the more you qualify for their assistance. In a way, I should be thankful but at the same time it makes me more doubtful I will be a good employee.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 12:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,

Put those thought of not being able to do it right out of your head!! You will be a great employee!! I've gotten to know you a bit, and I know that you will!! Smile

Margaret
Athlete2Be

Quit Date:
August 8, 2005

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 12:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara
Darlin! You'll be fine. I am not a religious person persay but I do like the saying, "Let Go, Let God!" Basically it means to let yourself go and let yourself be free to experience everything there is!
I am starting back to work next week as a preschool teacher after not working for almost 3 years. I am still going to school but also working on my degree.Am I scared? absolutely but YOU will do GREAT!!!!!!! Very Happy

Shannon
Athlete2Be
Freedom date: August 8, 2005
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 12:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,

Many years ago I was Human Resource Director at a acute care hospital...and believe me I would hire you in a Minute.....Your desire to do the best you can is what really counts..You took it upon yourself to learn the computer.................You are a kind person, and this really counts in health care,. We provided special assistance for dissabilities...Special work stations to accommodate certain disabilities.....special phones for the hearing impared...There is all kinds of new equipment in todays world, designed to help.....

So trust and be proud of you,

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 6:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employers will have expectations - but they want folks who will give their best and you will. Don't sell yourself short...you may have limitations - but you also have a huge capacity to care and alot of determination. Trust that the right job will come along!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 7:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, I was a stay at home mom for eleven years and it was a very scary thing to return to the work force. I had a lot of the same fears you have. One thing I learned was that all those years at home I was learning and developing skills. Organizing the household, working within a budget, dealing with utility companies, resolving conflicts and planning events are skills that transfer well into a workplace environment and are extremely useful to an employer. Turn your thinking around and try to look at yourself objectively. Find and promote your assets. Somewhere out there is the perfect job for you. Good luck! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 9:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, you're a wonderful person with a strong will. Believe in yourself. You can do anything you put your mind to.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 9:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

your nervousness is understandable, barbara, but i wonder if some of it isn't caused by the uncertainty of what you'll be asked to do? ask yourself, "what do i really want to do?" answer that, and you'll know what job you want and what you'll need to do once you have it; then just go for it.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 9:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara ~

Sometimes you have to let good things happen. You are going to love being around people when working. And I promise you, no one is the perfect employee. So just go for it and have fun!

I am 100% confident you will find the right place for you! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
wiley

Quit Date:
March 20, 2005

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 10:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what you are doing shows great strength and courage. All things take time and patience. Its totally ok to feel nervous, but you are going to do great!

Wiley
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 11:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb,

I'm with Pam....use to be an asst customer service manager a few years back. Believe me, an employer wants someone who is "willing"!!! Those who have all the skills, but a poor attitude are the worst. Those who are loyal and committed to follow through with direction are those who shine. All these qualities you have!!! So, don't worry Girl!!! You will be fine. Take Kevin's advice and ponder on what type of work you would like to do. When you enjoy your work,...then the rest comes easy. Very Happy

I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me!!!~~Philippians 4:13

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 11:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you all so much for the confidence in me. Pam I have thought about being an ativities assistance for a group home, nursing home, or what not. Those would require what you pointed out. Kevin, I'm not exactly sure yet what I want to do. I have so many ideas but I know I can only do one. I am hoping to find a volunteer job where I will be able to discover if that field is what I want.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 16, 2005 11:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO FOR IT BARB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: August 17, 2005 6:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you Kerry,

Tonight I am going to study in my bookkeeping book. I have been thinking about what to put on my resume'.

Blessings,

Blessings,
Barbara K.
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 17, 2005 7:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,

Maybe something like "once I set my mind to it, there's nothing I can't accomplish" or "when I set a goal I find a way to accomplish it". Maybe not in those words....but I'm thinking about quiting smoking......that's a HUGE accomplishment and words to that effect should be on your resume.

Donna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: