quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Filipino feast Summer Sinulog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: August 22, 2005 10:06 PM    Post subject: Filipino feast Summer Sinulog Reply with quote

Most of you know that I'm a native New Yorker (Italian American) but I'm married to my Filipina wife who I met there in the late 70's. I also lived in the Philippines for 9 years and have taken on a dual cultural background.

Yesterday we celebrated the 13th annual "summer sinulog" at the Olde St. Augustine church in Olde City, Philadelphia, PA.

IMAGE OF SANTO NIÑO - Considered as the oldest religious relic in the Philippines. It was on April 14, 1521 that Magellan gave the image to Queen Juana as a baptismal gift. Forty-four years later, on April 27,1565 when Miguel Lopez de Legaspi arrived, Fr. Andres de Urdaneta who formally Christianized the Cebuanos, found the Native hostile. Legaspi besieged the settlement and set the village on fire. It was on one of the burnt houses that Juan Camus, a soldier, found the image of Sto. Niño unscratched. Since then, the miraculous image has been venerated by the Cebuanos as its patron saint. At present, the miraculous image is kept in the parish convent, and a replica is adorned with gold and precious stones and enshrined in glass. It is housed in a side altar inside the Basilica Minor del Santo Niño.

A Tale Of The Santo Nino

It is told that when, in the days of Legaspi, the capital was moved from Cebu to Manila, the authorities decreed that the image of the Sto. Nino should also be moved to the new capital.

So, the image was crated and shipped to manila, but the crate arrived there empty. The image miraculously disappeared, reappearing in its shrine in Cebu. It was recreated, and the crate placed inside another box, and then shipped to manila. Again, the boxes arrived in Manila empty. The image was crated a third time, and the crate placed not in one but in two boxes - but in vain. The Santo Nino was back in Cebu.

Eventually, the shippers sent the image out in a series of Chinese boxes, one inside another, with the seventh and inner-most box containing the image. In this manner, the image arrived in Manila and was enthroned in the Augustinian church of the capital city. The image, however, kept disappearing from the Augustinian church and reappearing in its shrine in Cebu. And so, it is told, the Manila Augustinians decided to cut off one of the Holy Child’s legs to stop it from escaping and returning to Cebu. This proved of no avail. The Santo Nino still kept on returning to Cebu

Manila finally gave up and Cebu kept its little Lord. Today, it is said, one can still notice how unevenly the Santo Nino stands. It is a sign of how, at one time, it had been amputated to keep it from returning to its beloved home.

In other versions of this story, the image was shipped not to Manila but to Spain. Whatever the version, however, it is a story told to show how intimately wedded to each other Cebu and the Santo Nino have become.

Yesterday, we celebrated in all his glory and paraded the statue through the streets of Philadelphia. It is our way of showing thanks and praise.

Viva Sto Nino... Viva Pit Senor

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 22, 2005 10:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely tradition. Thanks for sharing and for educating! So tell me, was there food? Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 22, 2005 11:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Frank, I enjoy history. Peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 23, 2005 6:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,

You give such detail in the tradition!!!
Not many these days care to look into the history of such celebrations. It's good to see that you do! Cool

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 23, 2005 10:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a great story, frankie! Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: August 23, 2005 10:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my daughters in-law was born in the Philippines.......She told me that her mother tells the story of the image going to Spain....

Many countries are rich in culture, and I so enjoy learning of them...

Thank you for sharing,

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 23, 2005 11:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Frankie. Very interesting!!

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: August 24, 2005 9:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonya...hehehe... you know that if there is a gathering of Filipino's there is going to be an abundance of food. In fact, there is a homeless shelter that our church supports and the regulars there know our schedule.

After the 11:00 o'clock mass every Sunday and on special occasions the church hall is open for feeding the masses. Come one come all!

Below...

Sto. Nino holds the Magellan's cross....

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: