quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I AM FAT AND GETTING FATTER
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chooverg

Quit Date:
June 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 24, 2005 10:51 PM    Post subject: I AM FAT AND GETTING FATTER Reply with quote

Honestly-

I am at the biggest and fattest I have ever been. For the last 4 months we haven't had any 'bad' food in the house, not even peanut butter but I am still not losing weight. I know the problem I just don't seem to be able to correct it.
When I smoked I did b/c of emotional stresses. I smoke when I was nervous, sad, happy, excited, stressed...etc. I was an emotional smoker now I am an emotional eater. I eat for all of the emotions listed above and more.
HELP. My husband told me I should use whatever is in me to quit eating that I used to quit smoking. I can't seem to do. I quit for alot of reasons and I don't seem to have the same power over food. Now, that is crazy.
Christina

I have seen flowers grow in stoney places
Kindness done by men with ugly faces
The worst horse won at the races
So, I trust too
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 24, 2005 11:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started promising myself that I would make good choices every day...and its started working...(along with weight watchers) - just like choosing to NOT smoke - I can choose healthy food and smaller portions. And when those emotional cues to snack creep in I try to recognize them and then decide if there is a better way to cope. Sometime I choose to make the popcorn and eat it...sometime I choose to just go to bed or take a shower or call a friend. I also kept a food journal to figure out what and why I was eating and then develop strategies to maintain my control.

Take it one day at a time....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 25, 2005 12:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gained about 30 pounds very quickly in the beginning but have lost all I care to lose. Not sure, but could our metabolism have something to do with it? My eating habits really haven't changed too much so it has to be something connected with smoking. Just be patient. Freedom from Scowling Demon is far more important than a few unwanted pounds.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 25, 2005 7:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think mary's definitely on the right track. one thing you could try is simply stopping before you grab a snack and asking yourself, "am i eating because i'm hungry, or am i eating because this is one of those times i used to smoke?" if you're really hungry, eat. but if the answer is that you're eating instead of smoking a cigarette, don't. the key is being conscious of what's going on for you in any given moment: when you're conscious, you can make intelligent choices; when you act unconsciously, you're in trouble.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: August 25, 2005 8:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christina
I had also gained 30lbs in the first 5 months then battled the bulge for 3 months and lost it all. Tell hubby to chill out you don't need the pressure. If he persist and bugs you send the extra lbs up his arse. When you are ready just do it you will know when it is time. Wink

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: August 25, 2005 9:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I know why I am always in trouble Laughing Laughing I have gained too but it seems to be shifting again.....I have to admit, even though I am bigger than the size 4-6 I was, I am more comfortable in my own skin than ever....maybe it is because at least it does not stink...AND, there is more of me to LOVE!!!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 25, 2005 11:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christina,

It's one of the hardest parts for me....the weight gain. I don't like being overweight!! But, even though, eating right...haven't lost yet...but am still fairly early in the quit. So the metabolism could still be adjusting! Rolling Eyes

Regardless...take Mary's and Kevin's advice. It's all a matter of thinking about what you're eating. It can be hard sometimes. Try a cinnamon stick instead. I suck on one of those jewels if things get too stressful. At least, that way I'm not eating or smoking. Or gum has become another favorite this quit.

Let me just say this...don't let the addiction try to trick you into smoking again because of the weight gain....like saying..."Oh, if you smoke, you could work on losing the weight and then stop smoking later!" Hey, he says that...it's a line he uses on me. Don't believe it...it's a lie! Because, guess what...the weight will still be there even if we started smoking again. Then we would be contending with not just one addiction of eating, but two...eating and smoking! Shocked The times I yo-yo back and forth between quit and relapse...I never lost ANY of that weight while I smoked. Just something to think about.

Be patient with yourself. Mary is on weight watchers and is doing great with it. Try to figure out something that will work for you...maybe more exercise...weight watchers...ask your doctor for some ideas...maybe just cut down on sweets. Then later cut back on starches. If you must eat when stressed...choose celery sticks or veggies to munch on instead of chips and sweets. It really is all about choices. Even with eating. Also, maybe some relaxing music on CD would help with stress....a soft ball to squeeze when stressed (squeeze I said...not throw! Wink Laughing ) Something along those lines. Also in the FFS program, it asks us to think of the backdoors to our smoking...in other words, the deep reasons we smoke....do some thinking into the eating..."what are the reasons you used to smoke? and now eat? Getting to the core reasons of "why" we do something helps us to overcome it. When we understand "why", then we can make the appropriate changes to alter the mindset involved.

Just don't give up!!! You will lose the weight...when you're ready like Kay said!!!

Hugs ((((Christina)))))

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: August 28, 2005 10:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact same happened to me I was always 50 kilos no matter what I ate & than when I quit I made extra sure not to eat anymore than usual & Voila!! I put on 8kilos since I quit, I saw my GP & had thyroid tests all ok...Than I was told that the metabolism slows terribly when we quit as the nico keeps it running high, so I have been crying as I had not changed eating habits etc.

Now I am doing 30 minutes of Yoga every morning & walking around 5 to 8 k's a day weather & body permitting as well as changing my good diet to a great diet- actually a ''Lifestyle'' now I eat a bowl of Bran with 99% no fat milk for brekkie -Lunch is usually a tuna salad with olive oil & balsamic vinegar as dressing with a matchbox size piece of low fat cheese OR I sometimes alternate for lunch I will eat a small tub of 98% fat free cottage cheese with garden salad.

Dinner: chicken breast fillet grilled with rosemary & olive oil (rubbed in) & 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese on top plus 1 cup cooked brown rice 2 cups mixed steamed veges with black pepper & a little vege salt.

Snacks: If I have too a fruit platter or 2 rice cakes no butter just a little honey.

I swear I better lose weight this way!! maybe you can give it a shot too, but I 100% know how you feel .Drink lots of water & keep sugar free gum handy I am always chewing gum lately Embarassed

Nearly forgot I am now taking 100mg Deep Sea Kelp 1 tablet a day to normalise metabolism DO NOT TAKE if you are ALLERGIC TO IODINE.

I am sure we will all be fine soon & slim again with the added bonus of a healthy body inside as well as out from no evil nico. Laughing Demon Laughing Demon
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 28, 2005 6:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone......wow, what a coincident! I just read yesterday about kelp increasing the metabolism. But, it didn't say how much to take...Well, your post just answered that question for me.

On the shopping list it goes!! Wink Very Happy

Thanks and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: August 28, 2005 11:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deb,

lol must have been meant to be!!on the list it goes & it really will help Wink

*hugs*
Simone
Mishka

Quit Date:
June 19, 2005

PostPosted: September 26, 2005 11:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitamin b complex helps as well as drinking a cup of green tea before a meal can also help break down the fat in a meal.

I sincerley believe that moderation and exercise is the key, I use to eat chicken, chips and gravy twice a week for lunch but realise that if I keep going this way that I am not doing myself any favours and it is harder to get the weight off rather than try to stop it coming on in the first place.

Smart, sensible eating and exercise is what I have been doing on this quit, and I have increased slightly in size but I think the increase is normal because of the metabolism thing, but I am managing it a bit better.

M
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 27, 2005 12:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I didn't gain, then later I did. At one point I couldn't wear any of my clothes. Mine seems to go up and down. At best, however, I'm at least 1 size larger and could get worse. The worst is the BUTT!!! Why there????

This past week I have been losing because I was sick. I like Kevin's idea a lot; think I will ltry that one when it starts sliding back on again.

It's still much better than smoking!!

I hear lots of people on here that gained a lot at first but then lost it. I get the feeling that it just takes patience after you settle into your quit. That you can't make yourself too frustrated or it will get worse. THat it should be a slow but steady thing, but that losing it should not be a punishment, which would only make it harder.

Well, is probably not helpful, but I wanted to try. I can sympathize about the clothes--I have GOT to wear them! ANd I have got to get rid of the belly and the butt! So I guess I am talking to myself here.

Margaret
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 27, 2005 1:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please explain the BUTT I always complained mine was flat but J-Lo's I did NOT want grrrrrrr.

Well I have not been too well terrible stomach probs had a lactose intolerance test all is fine the GP is sending me to the dreaded Gastoenterologist *shudders* I may have Coeliac Disease so a biopsy is required I am putting it off for a bit & going to see a Homeopath to see if something natural can't be done to tell if I am gluten/whet allergic.

I am still feeling fat as a piglet than even more bad news my cholesterol is high 6.1 (never ever this high!!) & I don't even eat any rubbish my diet is olive oil only & fresh veggies/fruits/fish & chicken go figure that one out I was so upset I told the Dr why when I quit smoking & do everything within my power to be healthy is all this happening weight gain without eating extra food excercising like a maniac all she said is ''Excersice More & don't Eat'- everything I said fell on deaf ears I HATE DR's Laughing Demon Laughing Demon Laughing Demon
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 27, 2005 4:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think exercise is important. Not only to help battle the stress, but it speeds up your metabolism too. Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 27, 2005 4:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I excersised anymore I'd be able to go for the Olympics 2006 LOL Shocked & my Butt is bigger as in my legs - what can I do........I don't think I care anymore Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: