quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What does it all mean?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: September 1, 2005 11:17 PM    Post subject: What does it all mean? Reply with quote

I have been so terribly, terribly sad for the last several months. I have been overwhelmed by the realization of how short life really is.

I am 56 years old, and things that I did as a little boy of 11 years of age happened 45 years ago!

That picture that I posted of my cousin and me was taken in 1960, when I was just 11. Look how little and how young I was in that picture. I'll post it again here.

Here's what I look like now.

In the first picture is a young, vibrant child in perfect health. He could run and play all day long without becoming exhausted. He was growing and getting stronger as the days and weeks and months went by.

In the second picture is a 56 year old man who takes four different medications and has to have the aid of an air pump and a mask over his nose in order to get a decent night's sleep. He cannot run without feeling like he is going to keel over dead. Instead of growing taller and getting stronger, his body is deteriorating as time goes by.

People, 45 years of my life went by between those two pictures; it seems but a blink of the eye.

We are born, we grow up, we get old, and we die. All of this takes place in an amazingly short period of time. When we leave this world, litte notice is taken, except by a handful of friends and relatives who will also be leaving this world just a short while after us. When they are gone, then there is no one on earth who knows or cares that we lived.

Now if our only life was our life in this world, then we would be miserable creatures indeed. The good news is that we have eternal souls, and this life is SUPPOSED to be short.

Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

James 4:14

Man that is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.

Job 14:1

People, I have begun the journey back to a proper relationship with the Lord. I have lived for the last several years as if God did not exist. No, I wasn't running wild or anything, but I wasn't praying or reading my Bible or going to church.

I was ignoring God. I was neglecting spiritual things. I was all wrapped up in the things of this world. I was living as if my only hope was in this life. No wonder I was so miserable!

I went to prayer meeting last night. That was the first time I that I had gone to church in years. It felt good.

I ask you folks to pray for me. Pray that I will submit fully to God's will in my life. Pray that I will let our Lord truly be MY Lord. (Jesus said "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" Luke 6:46)

Sorry, if I seem to be preaching here, but you are all my friends, and I have always tried to pass along to you the good things that I have learned. These are the most important truths that I have ever shared with you.

I am not going to promote any particular religious denomination, but I will encourage all of you to be careful not to neglect the spiritual aspects of life. Go to church SOMEWHERE, read your Bibles, and pray. Seek a close walk with the Lord in your daily lives.

Remember, if this life is all we have, we are truly without hope. No wonder atheists are so miserable.

If we believe in life after death, then we must believe that there are spiritual aspects to our lives, and we need to be mindful of them. We must not live as if life here on this earth is really all there is and as if there is no God.

God Bless all of my Buds here.

Tomster

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Last edited by tsjay49 on September 2, 2005 1:25 PM; edited 1 time in total
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 1, 2005 11:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, hugs to you. I'm sorry you have been feeling so sad. This Quitting business is quite something, isn't it? It has been a journey for myself as well. The healing that takes place once we leave the smokescreen behind is physical and mental and yes, spiritual. Religion is not important to me either. What I strive for is a personal relationship with God. To know that He is in my life and in control of my life. (What a relief to know I'm not in control of this mess! Laughing ) We are all put on this planet for a reason and we touch the lives of so many others, most of whom we are not even aware. Your life has purpose and meaning, Mr. Tom. You have been such a positive influence on this site. Keep reading and praying and you'll get there. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 2, 2005 12:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2005 7:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom please go to this site and check your 4 meds you are taking for negative interactions. It could be as simple as that. Also consider the bacon,sausage and butter gone and all other fatty products. You will feel better in no time. You Quit smoking you can do anything.
http://www.healthnotes.info/qs_db/healthnotes.cfm?contentid=2411003

Both pictures are cute Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2005 10:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone on meds should check them out for interactions and Tom said the last link didn't work. Try this link

http://www.healthnotes.info/qs_db/index.cfm?org=newseasons&CFID=5488972&CFTOKEN=691a010bbf9664ce-7E8D43C1-3048-518F-E0E5FDB05DE01499

Now on the left side is a heading called safety checker click on that. Hope this works Very Happy

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2005 12:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so good to hear from you again, Tom. I've been quite concerned. What a revelation you've had and I applaud your return to a spiritual life. Knowing and walking with God isn't a cure for everything but faith sure does make the bumps along the way easier to tolerate.

Your message hit me on a very sad day and I was having trouble dealing with the news we received this morning. My husband's brother died at 4:00 a.m. They weren't close; hadn't been raised together as there were 15 years difference in their ages but it's still terribly sad to know that he's no longer with us. After reading your post however, I was reminded that God has him now and he's far better off than we are.

Keep the faith, Tom. I'll be praying for you.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2005 3:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Tom, thank you for reminding me of this.

And Jo, my condolences to you and family.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 2, 2005 5:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praise the Lord! Tom!

We receive Peace when we realize its not about us, but Jesus.
Your a great loving man, I am glad to see you walking with the Lord more. He is holding your hand through this journey of memories.

As always, you are in my prayers. May you feel comfort in His arms. May you feel peace through His word, May you feel His love through the people you talk to and keep in contact with. May you have a joy in your heart that has you jumping with excitement for the Lord. May you have a thirst for His Word that you can't stop praying or reading the bible. May you have such a desire to give thanks and praise God for all things, sad and happy. May you have tears of love for your Heavenly Father. In Jesus Name, Amen

God Bless, buddy! Wink

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 11:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there my friend and know you are loved by so many...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 11:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I am sorry you have been feeling sad, but I do know what you mean. I have times like that, too, but in my case they seem to come and go. They are so depressing when they are around! I would first do what Melody suggests, and check for interactions between your medications which can cause depression and/or sadness as well as other things.

Then...and I know this will sound silly to a lot of people...but it actually makes me feel better...go to the cemetery and talk to the folks there and tell them that even though you didn't know them personally, you know they have been here, and that their lives were important, and that you remember them. This can be a very spiritual and rewarding experience. It left me feeling very peaceful.

Also, if you break your life down more, which I know you can do, because we read all your wonderful stories of your past.....then you will find that it was not the blink of an eye. And it still isn't. And everything we do is important. Every little tiny thing. They all have meaning. Each is a part of the Motion of Life...each part a part of the Eternal. Which I'm sure you know.

Tom, I was 21 years old in 1960. I was already grown, and I looked like a slender version of Marilyn Monroe (was a blonde then Rolling Eyes )...well, maybe that's exaggerating a bit, but I was beautiful. Now I am old and, oh dear, probably ugly, too. Shocked And worst of all, I can't dance anymore. I can't think about it. If I do, I get too depressed to function.

I agree with whoever said above that you cannot know who you have influenced and how important that was. I once read a poem that the poet very nearly didn't publish because she thought it wasn't good enough--that poem was so important to me at the time, and gave me courage. I always think what would have happened to me if she hadn't written it! And I've never met her, so she can't know how important she was to me. So it is with all of us, whether we wrote anything or not, we cannot know what influence we may have had.

You are so important to me, and to woofmang, Tom! You have inspired all of us so many times. And most of all, I think, I admire your tremendous honesty, which helps me to be honest with myself. Thank you for being here and for being yourself!

Margaret
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: September 4, 2005 11:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to quit smoking many times and always went back. During lent of '04, I got involved in this group at my church. While I was going to church and going through the motions, I don't think I was that deep in the spirituality part of it. I don't think that I put as much stock in faith as I did free will. When lent was over and we finished the program, I quit smoking. I haven't had a cigarette since. I realize that I did this on my own but I do think that there's something to be said for the power of prayer. I'm struggling too right now but I have to believe that I've been put on this "woofmang" path for a reason. Hang in there Tom and remember that none of us are alone. Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: