quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A very special favor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 10:20 AM    Post subject: A very special favor Reply with quote

I want all of you to do me a very, very important favor. PLEASE, do not ignore this request, if you care about me.

I can't even speak of this without crying, and that's what I am doing as I type. The tears are blurring the screen.

My precious, precious friend and companion, Ross Allen, is ten years old now. I have to plan for giving him up one of these days, and it breaks my heart to even think about it.

There is a special love between Ross Allen and me that is probably deeper and stronger than almost anyone could imagine, including even people who truly love dogs. I think it might be because I lack close relationships with family that I care so much about Ross. (My home life is not good.)

Anyway, the favor I ask is that you pray that the Lord will take Ross Allen while he sleeps some night, so that I will not face having to have him put down. I don't want him to linger and suffer when life is no longer any good for him, but I absolutely cannot imagine having what it takes to have him put to sleep. I get visions of him lying with his head in my lap as he takes his last breath, after he gets that dreadful shot. I just go all to pieces when I have those thoughts. I know having him put to sleep would be the proper thing to do under certain circumstances, but HOW could I endure it? How could I go through with it? I'm bawling like a baby right now.

Please, pray that I won't have to go through that, OK? It will be devastating enough to find him dead some morning, but I could handle that a lot better than having him put down.

If any of you have advice for me, please share it. I know Phil had to put his best friend of 14 years down a couple years ago. That must have been terrible, Phil, and I offer you my condolences, because I know you must still think of her often.

Please, my friends, don't fail me in this simple but very important request.

Tomster

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 12:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tom,

I can feel your emotion through your writing about Ross Allen. Our pet scottish terrier died at home but we should have relieved her suffering far before she passed away. I don't know what to tell you as neither of us could take her to have her put down either.

I wish there was something I could do to help you through this but all I have to share with you is love and prayer. Would it help any to get a puppy while you still have Ross Allen?

Know you're in my thoughts, Tom. You're been such a strong help to me over the past months. I just wish I could be of some help to you now.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 3:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, my heart feels the heaviness of yours. I wish I could be of some comfort.

Quote:
There is a special love between Ross Allen and me that is probably deeper and stronger than almost anyone could imagine, including even people who truly love dogs. I think it might be because I lack close relationships with family that I care so much about Ross. (My home life is not good.)

I do not know your troubles at home, but will pray for them to be closer for you. All I can do is pray for you Tom. But for the moment, enjoy Ross Allen, he isn't gone yet. You are very blessed you have had him this long.

God Be With You!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
THREEGRAND

Quit Date:
March 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 3:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Tom....of course I will pray for you.......You didn't say that Ross Allen was sick or not? only tthat he is 10 yrs. old.....Dogs can live longer then 10....I had a dog that was 14, and only in the last 2 months of her life did she really get sick...(she had bone Ca) so you know she was suffering......I brought her to the vet and got down on the floor with her as the vet gave her a shot...(yes, it was the hardest thing I ever had to do) She went so peaceful Tom......You know, life is so short and someday we are all going to be together again......That really helps me out to think of that......My husband died of ALS at 42 yrs. old and If I thought I would never see him again, it would be alot harder to cope........If Ross Allen is not sick or suffering my friend, dont torment yourself with all these thoughts....I'll be praying for you......gail
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 4:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I am so sorry. The lord sometimes works in mysterious ways and I'm sure whatever he has in store will be with limited pain and suffering.

I will say a prayer for you and your companion.

Again, I truly am sorry.

Deb
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 4:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Gail, there is no reason to think that Ross Allen will die or need to be put to sleep in the near future, but he IS ten years old, so I know that I can't count on having him more than three or four more years most likely. He has arthritis pretty bad in his left front leg, and I hope that does not get any worse.

I know I shouldn't borrow from tomorrow's troubles, but it might be good to have a plan and to kind of prepare myself against the day that I lose him.

Thanks, everyone.

Tomster

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 11:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I truly understand your feelings and your request will be remembered and carried out.... I had a vet tell me when it was time to put a cat I had for 17 years to sleep that is was unfortunate that they could not live as long as we do. I have lost several dogs and 2 horses so I can feel your pain...our animals know our deepest secrets and love us as no other human can...... give Ross Allen a big hug and kiss from me.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 11:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Now I am crying, too. Maybe the tragedy in N.O. and Mississippi is eating at the edges of your heart, and causing you to think sad thoughts, like the evential time when Ross Allen goes to that Great Dog Run Above, or as many refer to it: Rainbow Bridge.

Tom, there is no way you can prepare for it. So it is best to not think about it, and enjoy Ross Allen all the time now. I know this, because I have been through it, which I will explain in a minute. Meantime, although there is no way, ever, to prepare, there is something that you can do....which is to develop friendships with people who love dogs, who have pets of their own, and who will be there for you when the time comes. One of those people is me! I don't ever plan to leave woofmang for any reason, not ever. In any event you have my email, and I will PM it to you again, and I'll make sure I have yours.....so no matter how many years in the future, I will be there for you.

I have had 4 dogs....the sweet Casey boy that I have now is the 4th. My first 2 dogs were about the same age, both adopted, and the first one died at age 14 at the vet. She had cancer, but she had only seemed sick a week and I was still waiting on the tests when she died. I forgot I had a car when they called me, and I ran all the way to the vet...a good distance.I punched a hole in the wall with my fists, and hurt my hand. I thought I would die. But I didn't die, and I continued to love my other dog (it doesn't matter how many you have, it hurts just like you had only the 1 dog) until she died the next year, but after having extensive surgery, with cancer. I went through the same thing. Then I rescued dogs for about a year, before I got the beautiful Sasha, an Alaskan Malamute, and the most beautiful dog in the world. She lived 8 years, and she died with a brain tumor, but I did have to put her to sleep. It is horrible, but there is nothing you can do in advance. During that time, when it comes, you will need to be strong for your dog. Until then, just enjoy Ross Allen. Afterwards, God and your friends will show you the way, so do not grieve, my friend, you are not alone.

I, too, do not have much family life, because my family is so far away, and my father is dead, my mother in a nursing home, and I have only 1 brother....a gem, but not here....he's far away. I have friends, but there is no friend in the world like our dog!! Our dog loves us, and even understands us, better than anyone else. Each time, I have thought I could not live, but each time I have recovered and gone on to love again.
You will, too. And meantime, give Ross Allen a big steak bone for me and pet him from me!! Very Happy

Your friend always,

P.S. I have a picture of Sasha in my computer, but I don't know how to post it here. Your pics are probably on a disk, but mine is just in the documents file. Do you know how I could still post it? And I would like to post one of Casey, too. Thanks.

Margaret
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: September 4, 2005 6:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marg:

Thanks for the nice post.

In order to post a picture here, the picture must be already on a website on the Internet somewhere. The picture will show up here when you post a link to it, but the picture is really not here; it still resides at the host website, if that makes any sense to you.

There is a really cool photo hosting website called Photobucket.com. They host pictures for free (up to some limit), or you can pay for the service and get a bigger alotment of space. The "free" alotment is pretty generous, so that's all I have for now. If I run out of room, I will get a paid subscription.

When you start your account at Photobucket.com, or when you want to add more pictures, you just follow the instructions to upload them from your hard drive to the website.

After pics are posted there, you can link them to other websites, like this one, and they will show up not as a link, but as the actual picture.

I'll help you if you run into problems, but the first step is for you to get those pictures posted on the Photobucket website.

Tomster

Jill-dec1

Quit Date:
December 1, 2003

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 3:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I had two of the best dogs ever Tahoe and Shasta (black lab and golden retriever). They were our kids back when we got them in 1986 it was before we adopted our girls. They were best of friends to each other and to us. Tahoe was a big boy who lived to be 15 years and Shasta lived to be 14. I kept thinking Tahoe was 17 when he was put down but just did the math. They died eight months apart in 2001. Shasta died first she had cancer and was sick for about a week it was absolutely heartbreaking watching her suffer. She died during the night alone. Tahoe became crippled from old age and his kidneys were shutting down could hardly walk. My husband called L.A.V.A. the vet came to our home and put him down. The tears flowed including the vet. It was a sad year for us. My cat Cisco (19) was put to sleep September 17th last year. Didn’t realize this until now it was exactly 3 years to the day that Tahoe was put to sleep.
In 2002 my brother gave us his golden lab Blondie she was Larry’s shadow. After Larry died Blondie has become my shadow. She follows me everywhere. She sleeps next to my bed at night. The only time she avoids anyone is if they have a hose in their hands for a bath then she runs the other way. Shortly after Blondie came to our home Mary and I caught Simon a Lilac Crown Amazon Parrot in the back yard. Needless to say he is bilingual (Spanish and English). Now this ramble is leading up to something. My husband called Blondie with a unique whistle and then her name “Blondieeeeee”. Now Simon has taken on the job of calling Blondie it sound just like Larry the exact whistle and calls her name “Blondieeee”. Simon imitates many things that Larry would do. How fun is that? Our lives seem to change so fast. Time heals and the memories bring smiles and laughter of those that we love and lose. Somehow God gives us the strength within to cope with toughest of life’s lessons. Hope this was helpful.

Jill
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 3:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill, I'm sure this story helped Tom, but it also helped me!! I just loved it!! Thanks so much for sharing. Smile

Margaret
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 5:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jill. That is quite a story about Simon. How did you "catch" him in your back yard? Was he someone's pet that got loose? It's cool that he mimics Larry.

I certainly don't want Ross Allen to suffer, so I hope that when it's his time to go, it is sudden and painless for him.

I hope I can count on a few more years with him. He was ten in April. Except for that arthritis in his left front leg, he seems to be fine.

Tomster

Jill-dec1

Quit Date:
December 1, 2003

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 8:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Mary and I saw Simon fly into a tree in our backyard. We spent hours trying to lure him down lower to catch him and of course we were unsuccessful. It got dark and we gave up. We were both up and outside first sign of daylight the next morning. With a broom handle and believe it or not a cat cage and some bread we lured him down. I think he was interested in the bread crumbs and decided to fly down closer. He landed on a flimsy branch was bouncing upside down and I put the broom handle out for him to grab onto Mary held the cat cage and he went right in. Now to our surprise you should have seen our looks when he first said hello. After a few days he was saying “apple,
how are you, burrito, he also says a phrase in Spanish “y ching gasa”.

After we caught him I went to a specialty bird store. They said birds usually don’t fly more than a couple of miles from home. So we posted signs in our neighborhood and also at the bird store. I called local vets to see if anyone had lost a bird. I checked online at different sights. I had one response but his bird didn’t talk.

Jill

Blondie & Roy
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1443/3/49/45/37/58/0/58374549308_0_ALB.jpg

Cisco & Roy
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1443/3/49/45/37/78/0/78374549308_0_ALB.jpg

Simon
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1443/3/49/45/37/38/0/38374549308_0_ALB.jpg

Simon in his condo
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1443/3/49/45/37/69/0/69374549308_0_ALB.jpg

Last edited by Jill-dec1 on September 11, 2005 1:02 PM; edited 2 times in total
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 9:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is SO COOL! Good thing for Simon that he flew into your backyard.

Who is the "Mary" that you refer to? Sorry, but I don't know who you are talking about.

Your pics must have password protection or something. When I click on the links, I get a message saying that I am forbidden from viewing the pics.

Tomster

swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 9:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jill,

What wonderful animals you have....I love the beautiful colors that Simon has....especially on his head!!!

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: