quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Totally ANNOYED!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 12:35 PM    Post subject: Totally ANNOYED! Reply with quote

Hey All,

Well today makes one week for me. I am using the patch and I having some good and bad days. Today though, I talked on the phone with a freind who made me furious.

I told her that I have quit and when I mentioned, that I am using the patch she laughed and said, that I hadn't quit at all so, I might as well just keep on smoking. Well, needless to say I went off. This is someone who smokes 2 packs a day and is always claiming that she is going to quit and it will be a cinch for her to do so. I was so let down because to me, I (even though I am using the patch) am not smoking and it's damn hard.

Is she correct? Am I still a smoker even though I haven't had a drag in a week? Maybe I'm dillusional and don't understand what the patch really does. I know that it's putting nic in my system but, it's certainly does not soothe my craves as when I smoked. I know it makes quitting a lot easier because without (cold turkey) I don't think, in fact I know I would not be able to do this.

This is someone who is supposed to be a freind...............this freind I don't need at the moment. Maybe when I'm feeling better I will understand what she was trying to say but, right now I'm so pissed.

Sorry to be going on and on but, I guess this section was created for such a rant.

I am going to continue using the patches and don't give a damn what this defines. For now I am not smoking.

If anyone could give me there opinion here I would truly appreciate it. Is the patch really the same as smoking? Am I still a smoker..........it sure as hell don't feel like it to me. The funny thing is that I was so upset when I got off the phone, I actually was looking around for my smokes until (dumb me) I realized omg that's what the whole conversation was about Smile

Ok thanks, just needed to get this off my chest and I feel a lot better now Very Happy

NOT SMOKING EVER just patching. Confused

Deb
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 12:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb, I can fully understand your anger at your "friend." In my opinion, YOU ARE NOT SMOKING!!! I didn't use the patch but many quitters here at woofmang have used them and very successfully, I might add.

When someone attacks you as this woman did, I feel it's jealousy. She really would prefer that you not succeed in quitting because she fears she would never be able to do it.

Sorry, I just became a little disturbed -- didn't mean to spout off. Just keep doing what you're doing. We're all here for you, you know. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 1:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever it takes for you to stop filling your lungs full of smoke counts. Your friend sounds like a real spiteful person. She just doesn't want to see you succeed as it leaves her with one less smoking buddy. My friends were a great support hence I use the word friends. Your smoking buddy is not a very good friend at all.IMO You are doing great and a week is a huge accomplishment it is the toughest of them all. Wink

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 6:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a simple test, deb:

are you deliberately sucking poisonous smoke into your lungs? no? then you're not a smoker.

is your "friend" deliberately sucking poisonous smoke into her lungs? yes? then she's a smoker.

millions of people have quit smoking successfully by using the patch. it's your "friend" who's delusional.

but she's not alone...

http://www.woofmang.com/tales/herd_mentality.shtml

keep up the good work! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 7:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote says you are not a smoker. Many of your "friends" are going to feel threatened by your Quit. Please do not let that sway you. This is the healthiest decision you could make for yourself. You are so worth the effort you are making! Please keep it going! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 7:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deb,

I agree with everyone here..You are not sucking the poison into your lungs.......You are a non smoker Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sometimes our friends see our success as their failure...Like the experiment with the crabs in the bucket, they pull down the few that are trying to escape....

Be so proud of you, you are doing what they cannot.......Keep on keeping this precious quit...

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 10:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are not a smoker. You are only a smoker if you are inhaling smoke, which you are not! (btw: there are many poisonous chemicals in smoke other than nicotine). Your friend is just jealous. It may be subconscious, but that's what it is. Don't let her rattle you. She is to be pitied. Many smokers and even ex-smokers (unless they used the patch, or when it's been a long time since they quit, they tend to forget) will re-act in strange ways to a person's quit. Just ignore it. You're doing great! Smile

Margaret
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2005 11:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are not a smoker....you are quitting..one step at a time...alot have been able to quit cold turkey...I was not one of them...but then I tend to get on the down side of depression or other words the mean side...so for others the patch was the safest way for me to quit Laughing
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 4, 2005 2:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,

Tell this so-called friend to KISS YOUR ROSEY RED CHEEKS...and I don't mean the ones on your face!!! Wink Shocked

Eveyone is right...jealousy, feeling threathened, and belittling, may I add. You are NOT a smoker!!! You know I'm a patch person. And I'm proud to say....I'm a non-smoker!!!! And so are you my friend!!!! People are idiots sometimes! Rolling Eyes Just blow her off....literally! Friends are there to encourage and help....not to tear down and destroy....that's what the devil does!!!

Deb....keep up the great quit you have going!! WTG on getting through hell week! I'm proud of you!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Love and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 4, 2005 4:33 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Deb,

I would tell your friend whatever you feel like telling her and then backing off from her. If she comes to terms with the situation and realizes how crappy she treated you, and if she's any kind of a friend, she will say she is sorry. If she doesn't, then she's not a good friend.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 4, 2005 7:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Taming of the tongue"
People say things before thinking...

Deb, you do what YOU have to do to not smoke. IF that means using a patch, then you use it. Everyone is different. Some people find they need to go cold turkey....some use the patch....some gradually wean themselves.

Everyone is different.

This person is probably not that educated in quitting smoking. So she really has not a clue what it is all about.

If she says anything again, just give her one of your big smiles and say your doing just fine! The only smoke that is entering your lungs now is from her cigarette. Always be kind, some people don't know how to handle it when their friends quit. I had troublesome times with my friend down the street. I still call her and ask how she is, even though she never comes down anymore. But I have come to terms with that now.

So you keep using the patch and before long, you'll be patch free. YOU ARE A NON-SMOKER. We will be here for you to encourage you along!

You hang in there! You just went through HELL week!

GOd Bless! Very Happy

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 4, 2005 8:47 AM    Post subject: Thank's Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I know is shouldn't let clueless people rattle me but, I'm sort of sensative now if you know what I mean Smile

I don't intend to let the negative sway me so I will continue doing what I need and whatever it takes to stay a non smoker.

Thank's again

Deb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: