quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Let's take Action
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2005 4:41 PM    Post subject: Let's take Action Reply with quote

I've noted we are having a fair amount of long timer's taking a second look at their QUIT. What does that mean??? I think you guys and gals need to rewrite your vows so to speak. Why did you QUIT??? If you smoke again you didn't QUIT so now what just a lost year.? Why what good would that do??? What in all that is holy makes you want to smoke again?? Is the little white cancer stick actually attacking you??? It hasn't stopped at my house and maybe that's cause the BACK DOOR IS CLOSED. CLOSE the DAMN DOOR we don't need to be dealing with the past. That is why it's the past it is considered over. Present is what you can control right now and that would stand to reason that we will make sure the back door is closed. Future we can not foretell but take a chance and GUESS what your life will be like if you reintroduce a TOXIN once again into your system. Starting to feel like the rain forest with the damn clear cutter's running amuck. Well that's your choice but I'd suggest you take another look at your QUIT. QUIT means QUIT. Team work is what is needed right now so pull together we are DOING IT. Very Happy

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2005 5:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Melody, I'm a team member for good. It's great being part of such a wonderful group of folks. Thanks for the reminder.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
LadyHouck

Quit Date:
January 4, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2005 6:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said I quit, I meant just that. I have never given myself any way to ever go back. The bridge over that river is burned. I'm not a good swimmer, so I guess I'll just have to be happy as a non-smoker. Which I am because I declared it so 20 months ago. I said, "self, you can wallow in misery and spend all your time in dispair over something that shouldn't mean that much to you or you can take control of your life and your quit and get on with life". I've said before that I don't often post because I am way too brutal with myself and would probably offend someone if I said what I was really thinking.

One thing I would like to say is that a cigarette or a pack of cigarettes will not solve any problem anytime. If you add smoking to the mix, well, then you just have one more problem to deal with. Please don't lie to yourself because ever single quit is precious and worth keeping. People who have never smoked a day in their life have all kinds of problems that they deal with everyday without even thinking about smoking to solve the problem.

Okay, Tonya is going to get off her soapbox now. Just remember that if you smoke, then you WILL want to quit again and you get to go through all the hell all over again. Not to mention that you'll have all the extra work making everything, including yourself, smell good again. Very Happy

Tonya
3+ years!

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Erma Bombeck
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2005 6:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks girls this is what we need here some no nonsense. We need to be team players. Don't be timid if we work together it's a snap. Quit means Quit Laughing

Yruc

Quit Date:
August 16, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2005 7:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed it to. I'm not much of a contributor myself, I perfer the lighter side of life and that's why I post a lot of jokes when I can, it makes me feel better hearing people laugh.

I have noticed more of the old timers romancing the smoke again. I've even caught myself doing it. I wish I could say that the moment I quit I had no more cravings but that would be a lie. Even now almost 13 months later, I still occassionaly think about smoking and what it would be like to have just one more, but I don't and wont give in. I still remember that first 3 days of my quit. I don't want to do that ever again. I can go days, even a couple weeks at a time not thining about smoking, then I'll see someone in a movie, or walk by someone smoking and get the smell of the cig. Something tells my nose that smells nice, but then smell caked on tar and chemicals in clothing, hair and inside of the house/car and how horrible it really does smell.
I remind myself I went to a friends birthday party at a bar, not to long ago, and I didn't smoke but many many people there did. I came home and I had to take a shower and through my clothes into the washer right then because I stunk so bad.
I remember of all the people I've known that have died to cancer, not just lung cancer. My aunt, diagnosed with a virolent form of cancer and 2 months later, died. My grandfather died of prostate cancer, all the famous people lately (peter jennings, Dianna Reeve diagnosed with cancer) I remember a couple years before I quit some stranger coming up to me and telling me the cost of a lung transplant surgery because he was still paying for his.
I remember the coughing, the promises to stop every night and then light up the next moring, coughing. The colds, the change of seasons where my lungs would hurt so much from coughing and coughing.
When i quit smoking, I moved and put almost everything into storage or threw most of it out because of the stench. I had to keep my mattress and 13 months later, every two weeks when I change my sheets, I can STILL smell the smoke on it...
I think of all the money I've saved and put to use on other things.

Sorry I seem to be rambling, but I still have many reasons why I quit fresh in my mind, and I hope that I never loose the quit. My friend quit with me and we have been an insperation to two other people at work. Our boss who had been trying to quit several years was glad to hear of how well my friend and I did at work. The Boss has quit as well (though he still uses the gum occasionally) but hasn't actually smoked a cig in 3-4 months.. Another coworker can't stop the praise and has also begun his second serious attempt to quit. He quit for 6 months and then started back up after a family reunion, but then after a scare (chest pains) on his birthday a couple weeks ago has gone cold turkey again and is using both my friend and myself as support.

Just remember all the good that has come back into your life before you romance the smoke again.

Well sorry for rambling but just felt like saying these things. I hope everyone keeps the quit and remembers why they quit in the first place.

Yruc
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2005 8:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want on this team - QUIT is QUIT!!!!!!!!!

Thanks All Smile

Essie
4/14/04
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: September 7, 2005 9:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I quit smoking I wasn't sure I could do it. I did it to try and save some money to get a decent house that would get my daughter home. I don't have that as an agenda now as my daughter informed me that she doesn't want to come home which I guess is ok but I am still quit for life.

I like saving the money I do save and put towards bills now and I actually am able to buy some of the things I want or need and put off when I was smoking. Like this week I paid for a cell phone external antenna you know the kind that go on the car , for my son who makes about 4 times what I do but is broke for some reason.

You all know the kind of year I had last year and for those of you who don't know me or what I went through, I lost 4 family members last year which put me into a depressive spin that almost caused me to take my life. I am doing better now but if I had entertained smoking it would of compounded my problems and my desire to end my life. Money was a factor that in part helped the depression along there was much more involved but smoking did not help or would not help.

I am a team player even though these days I don't post as much as I did I took a vow to myself and my loved ones 2 of which died from smoking related diseases that I would never smoke again.

And for today I choose life and I choose not to smoke how about you

what do you choose?

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 7, 2005 9:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting subject......from what I can see....everyone on this site is very concerned about anyone thinking of smoking again....and those that are long-time quitters are still around to help new people. So...I consider everyone here a team player.

The problem is you can't help someone who doesn't ask for help.,,,,that's what has happened with many of the relapsers....all of a sudden they're just gone without saying a word. Poof!!! Gone!!!!! What happened???? Shocked

We're all intelligent people....I would assume....how can anyone rationalize smoking?????!!!!!! Yet I did it in the past. The thing is that sites like this and FFS educate us to the point that we no longer have any excuses. So....why do they relapse????? I did it and I don't have the answer other than maybe I felt at that time I wasn't worth anything.

But now, I am educated and know I'm an addict. Just like an alcoholic who can NEVER take another drink, the smoker can NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF. It's not a difficult concept. How can anyone be surprised they couldn't have "just one"???? It's ingrained in our brain!

I'm an addict just like everyone else here but this time I'm not taking it anymore....I'm fed up.....I'm worth more....and this poison is no longer controling me anymore. I am commited to helping anyone who asks for it. There's nothing more that can be done.

Donna

This site is unique in my opinion.....the people here are compassionate and sincere and truly want to help others.
Jill-dec1

Quit Date:
December 1, 2003

PostPosted: September 8, 2005 12:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m staying on this team. Like Leona I wasn’t sure I could quit. Since my quit I have had two major deaths. My husband and my mother-in-law and most of the last 21 months have been a blur. My business took a nose dive. With all the sadness and stress there has also been happiness. I have two wonderful daughters and I also became a grandmother. My youngest daughter and I took a vacation to Tahiti with money saved from not smoking. In the last 21 months I have dealt with the feeling of sadness, stress, anxiety and depression. I quit and I’m not going back.

Jill
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 8, 2005 1:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy We are addicts and this addiction is a life long thing. Just like an alcoholic, we can never take that 1st puff. Alchoholics have their AA meetings and we have our online support groups and some may have 3-D smoking cessation support groups in their towns. To me, I think it is good that people have been posting in regards to their quits being in danger. Like Donna said, it's the people who don't post who go off and smoke without reaching out and they are the ones who relapse. Don't get me wrong and think I am glad people have been having trouble, I am only glad that they post about about it instead of smoking. Because everyone is different some people will struggle while others will not. I like Ken's poem I read earlier tonight about Woofmang reminding him of the Sunrise. He asked is it because the people are shining as they grow with their quits. Or something like that. I've heard many people say that they themselves have grown and I feel I am growing and still am. Maybe some people didn't have to grow. The point I'm trying to make is that we are all different. So to me everyone on here plays a part of being a team member in their own way. Sometimes when I read of some one having difficulty with a long quit, it prepares me to keep up with maintaining mine. Also when I read about someone losing a quit, it makes me also remember to keep up with the maintenance of my quit or else it could be me.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 8, 2005 6:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaneem wrote:

The problem is you can't help someone who doesn't ask for help.,,,,that's what has happened with many of the relapsers....all of a sudden they're just gone without saying a word. Poof!!! Gone!!!!! What happened???? Shocked

Donna

This site is unique in my opinion.....the people here are compassionate and sincere and truly want to help others.

Well said Donna. I can't help wanting to drag them all down the easier path. Some seem to be on the tough road. I would never have made it without this site. It taught me to change my thinking, to never look back and to hold my QUIT right out in front where I couldn't possibly loose it oh yeh and to nail the back door shut. Laughing . We all learn in different ways but hey guys just keep to the path. Wink Wink Wink

Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 8, 2005 6:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara K. wrote:
Very Happy We are addicts and this addiction is a life long thing. Just like an alcoholic, we can never take that 1st puff. Alchoholics have their AA meetings and we have our online support groups and some may have 3-D smoking cessation support groups in their towns. To me, I think it is good that people have been posting in regards to their quits being in danger. Like Donna said, it's the people who don't post who go off and smoke without reaching out and they are the ones who relapse. Don't get me wrong and think I am glad people have been having trouble, I am only glad that they post about about it instead of smoking. Because everyone is different some people will struggle while others will not. I like Ken's poem I read earlier tonight about Woofmang reminding him of the Sunrise. He asked is it because the people are shining as they grow with their quits. Or something like that. I've heard many people say that they themselves have grown and I feel I am growing and still am. Maybe some people didn't have to grow. The point I'm trying to make is that we are all different. So to me everyone on here plays a part of being a team member in their own way. Sometimes when I read of some one having difficulty with a long quit, it prepares me to keep up with maintaining mine. Also when I read about someone losing a quit, it makes me also remember to keep up with the maintenance of my quit or else it could be me.

Blessings,

Totally right we all need to guard or QUIT Very Happy

Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 8, 2005 8:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY CAN I BE ON THIS TEAM OF LONG TIME AND FOREVER QUITTERS? I DON'T MISS THE CIGS...I MISS SITTING THERE LIKE I AM REALLY DOING SOMETHING Laughing BUT NOT THE ACTUAL SMOKING PART....CHOKE, CHOKE, COUGH, COUGH.... Rolling Eyes
KAY

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 8, 2005 8:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

God love you, Kay. Your posts always make me smile!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 8, 2005 10:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOD LOVE YOU TOO, JO.
KAY

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: