quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Thyroid Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 1:14 AM    Post subject: Thyroid Problem Reply with quote

I found out this week that a thyroid Biopsy I had, has come back Indeterminate. THis means it may or may not be cancer. But the cells are Atypical. My choices are to have the thyroid removed now, or wait 3 months and do the biopsy over again. I was prepared to do the second course, but I discovered that on the computer, such places as Mayo and John Hopkins do not seem to recommend this, and seem to say that this type of result calls for the thyroid to be completely removed. I have not decided, and am still gathering info, and deciding on second opinions, etc.
This is also a fairly dangerous surgery. Surgeons must be very experienced so they do not damage nerve tracts in the throat.

There are 4 kinds of Thyroid cancer. Chief Justice had the bad kind. It is very rare. Mostly, thyroid is the least deadly of the cancers.

It is not related to smoking (or not in my case--most likely to be hereditary).

I also had thyroid problems when I was a teen-ager (long before I ever smoked) and took thyroid medication for it then. I almost lost it then, because the aproved treatment at that time was also surgery, but my mother refused, and I was under-age. Turns out she was right that time, because the thing started working right eventually without the surgery. But this time it has a Nodule, which is NOT benign, and which will continue to grow, so it will need some type of treatment before long.

I have been very depresssed about this, and not wanting to talk about anything much, so I hope you will forgive me for not answering email or posting.

Regarding the question of benign: according to the computer info., even if the next biopsy says it is benign (not cancer), it still does not mean that is is really benign. It just means that those particular cells were benign, but the ones that were "Atypical" are still atypical, or even cancerous. In a needle Biopsy, it all depends on which cells you draw out. This is why current medical opinion seems to indicate that it should ALWAYS be taken out if there is suspicion of cancer, which is what Indeterminate means. However, my Endocrinologist takes a more conservative view of it, and I haven't figured out yet which "way I want to jump", so to speak. On the one hand I like her a lot, but on the other, this is my life, so I can't exactly fool around with it.

Thanks for listening. I wasn't going to post this for a while, but you are "family" and it seems only right that you know.

Thanks again.

Margaret
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 8:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret ~

You are in my thoughts and prayers! I know you will make the right deicison. 2nd opinions are absolutley necessary. You need your piece of mind.

With many, many hugs!!!!

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 10:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret - I'm so sorry to hear of this new development in your health. I'm sending lots of prayers your way!! I encourage you to continue to learn more - but know that you'll probably find medical evidence that supports each of your available courses of action. It'll come down to your doctor's perspective and which one YOU feel more comfortable with. You don't seem like a "wait and see" sort of person...but don't rush into a decision and make sure you get the facts right and understand the options!!!
((((Marw))))!!!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 10:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret,

I'm sorry that you got this unfortunate news. I agree, you really should go and get a second opinion and sometimes even a third is neccessary.

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Deb
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 10:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Don't panic...continue your research and I would get 3 opinions.....one from a teaching hospital because they're up on the latest. I'm not familiar with Chicago but Milwaukee has a good one......I actually used it for a 3rd opinion.

Sending you prayers and lots of hugs.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 10:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good friend that the same thing happened to a year ago. Now she waited and did the second biopsy. She was a nervous wreck and so were the rest of us. She lucked out and was fine. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now as it is a tough decision no matter which way you go. She is not a smoker by the way although her hubby does smoke. Since she doesn't smoke we never thought of it being related. Good luck and try to stay calm. I'll be thinking of you.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 11:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts & prayers are with you as well as lots of positive thinking & please get a second or even third opinion.

It was the 3rd one that got my tests of MRI & Lumbar Puncture to reveal MS as the others all said I was stressed!!

Please do it for yourself.

Love & ((hugs)) Simone
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 11:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a tough call, margaret, but i'm sure you'll make the right decision.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 1:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prayers are with you This is so hard to go through. . I hope you do consider a second opinion.....Medicine is always changing with new procedures.

Have faith, and know that we all are sending you our prayers and positive thoughts......

Hugs to you,

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 3:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Everyone, for this wonderful support! I felt better already as soon as I read the responses here. I honestly don't know how I ever lived my life without woofmang because people here are so good, about everything, not just smoking! And thanks for the good advice that many of you gave, and the encouragement.

Yes, I will get a second opinion. I will be getting a list together this week-end and start calling Monday to see who I can get soon. I do not want to wait a month to see someone.

Funny thing about this problem, I now know what people mean when they say they eat for comfort? would that be right? whatever....I never did this before in my life, but since I got this news I cannot stop eating. It is really weird. I ate everything in the house, and had to buy more! I gained 6 pounds last week! Whew! The potential eating disorder may be worse than all the rest! Laughing Laughing At least I didn't think about smoking--not once! In fact, I forgot all about it.

Thanks again for your help. I will keep you posted.

Margaret
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 9:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, my nephew's wife had to have her thyroid removed...she went on to have the third baby and has done beautifully....just takes her medicine.
I hope all goes well which ever decision you make...please keep us posted I know you are concerned.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 10:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, my thoughts are with you. Take care of yourself.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 11, 2005 12:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret,

Bless your heart. No wonder you are eating yourself out of the house!! Wink What a tough decision. It's good you are seeking another opinion. It helps to be well informed as you have done in researching the issue. Knowledge is power!!!

(((((Margaret)))))

Hugs!!!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 11, 2005 1:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, been there done that! Back in early 70's i was diagnosed with Graves Disease. Took radio active iodine. Well about 7 years ago, my doctor said I still had a nodule on my thyroid (wondered why I was sooo thin) So sent me to Endocrinologist. SHe said I needed to have surgery. Wait a minute, I am ahead of my self. A year before that I went to a different doctor and he had my thyroid drained. He thought I had cancer. Wasn't. Okay, now this other doctor wants to do surgery. Well I was scared to death. But you know what? It was so simple. I couldn't believe it! I had the surgery, woke up, told everyone how nice they looked and how much I loved them! (under drugs, nurses are so use to this!) Really didn't have real bad pain. I only have a tiny tiny tiny bit of thryroid left. Am on synthryroid and doing fine.

If you do get surgery, you will feel better about going into it as long as you have trust and confidence in your surgeon, which I did. Now, honestly, after the surgery, I told the nurse to get the iv out of my hand and quick or I would pull it out. (I do not do needles Shocked ) Other than that, I was a very obedient patient. I am the biggest baby when it comes to surgery!!!!

My doctor, (who suggested the surgery) explained to me it would be better to have the surgery done now before the nodule grew any bigger and was harder to remove. She was correct.

I knew a pastor who was born without a thyroid, living on synthroid all of his life. He is in his seventies and doing fine.

Margaret, what ever you decide, your in my prayers.

God Bless

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 11, 2005 11:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret,

My thoughts are with you. I can relate to the comfort eating thing. I feel you will be fine.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: