quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just call me FATTIE :-(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 11:13 AM    Post subject: Just call me FATTIE :-( Reply with quote

I have HAD IT!!!!!!!!!! I have not changed my diet I walk & excersice more than ever yet I have gained yet anotyher kilo I was 49 or 50 at quit day (had been for over 28 years) now am 56kilo Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

what is going on the GP says I am fine but my clothes don't fit I am a teeny frame & only 167cm tall Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Here is what I eat in a day/night can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??

This is a typical day's eating:

Brekkie- 1/2 cup All Bran 1/4 cup Sultana Bran 1/2 cup 99% fat free milk & a cup of tea white no sugar.
I drink 1 litre of water if not more no fizzie/soft drinks nor fruit juices only water & white tea no sugar.

Lunch- I do not usually eat any but if I get hungry I have a cup'o'soup 98% fat free vege.

Dinner- Chic breast fillet with rosemary grilled & olive oil drizzled over, 1 cup streamed beans 1 carrot.Wholemeal pasta spirals 1 cup cooked.

Snack-Weight Watchers yogurt/apple/1 kiwi fruit & a mandarin.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 4:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very reasonable diet - have you always skipped lunch? The science is that the metabolism slows down in the absence of nicotine (not sure why other than nicotine is a stimulant). You are getting in exercise - if you continue to gain there might be something else going on. I saw on a tv show a lady who would sleep walk and sleep eat - she'd have no recollection of consuming huge amounts of food during the night while she was asleep. Investigators used cameras to 'catch' what was going on. Quite a phenomena... I've also heard a theory that if you always eat the same things at the same time - that your body gets too efficient at process the foods its become accustom to and finds a way to store more of it as fat - so you may want to shake up the routine . Your doc might suggest a nutritionist if you keep gaining. If you aren't eating more and still gain you should probably talk to a doctor. Good luck!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 11, 2005 12:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone,

Most of us quitters have gained a few pounds here and there with the quit. Like Mary said...the metabolism slows down. It will readjust, but the time involved varies from person to person.

Yes, it's uncomfortable and quite frankly a bit disappointing to see oneself getting bigger. I know for me, it's quite the disappointment. Like you I was a normal size for many years...that is until I quit smoking. Just don't let this weight gain be an excuse to return to smoking. Keep on working out and walking and eating right. Your diet is very sensible.

One thing I just started trying myself is Hot Spicy V8 juice. I was reading that red chilli peppers help to jump start the metabolism. Since I just started this...I can't say whether it is working yet or not. But, it might be worth a try. Also, it's said to eat something every 3 hours to avoid the body storing fat. You might rethink lunch and eat a small bite...maybe a salad or some fruit or cheese or small protein portion.

Even with my weight gain...overall I'm feeling so much better and healthier. The color and appearance of the face and skin is glowing now. And I just feel good!!!! I'm breathing easier and have more energy and stagima. Chin up girl!!! Not all is lost with the extra weight. I know you were a model and that has to tug hard on your view and image of yourself, but a little weight and healthy is alot better than thin and smoking!

You will lose the weight...just be patient with it...it will happen!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 11, 2005 8:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone,

Hang in there you will lose the weight once your body get's back to normal. Hey, it's healthier to put on a couple of pounds than it is to smoke and, I'm sure the Doc would agree.

Your doing a great job and it really doesn't seem like your eating all that much. I feel like I eat like an elephant compared to your list of daily eating habits Laughing

Deb

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 6:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary Dude said it's a reasonable diet...I say it's a diet fit for a mouse!!!!

Goodness me! eat more!
Maybe you should eat lunch? There is a balance between eating too much adn eatign enough to boost your metabolism. Maybe your metabolism slows during the day so when you haev your evening meal it's grinding to a halt and doesnt process the food well?

I thought we should eat some carbs at lunch to fill us up and give us a continuous source of energy. The faster our metabolism the better we burn calories.

I would suggest eat more?...
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 14, 2005 2:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thanks Star I may well too.

Since I quit the nico devils I have been tormentedwith stomach pain as well had blood tests the GP thinks I have a lactose/gluten intolerance so I had tests for them awaiting results , the only other thing that may be is coeliac disease.

So I am now eradicating food bit by bit to try & find ourt what's happening & I am so hungry as the foods I love as in bran etc I have to stop for a while Grrrr. I was thinking of lunches as in tuna salad sandwiches now I can't eat bread atm Crying or Very sad

XX Simone the mouse Wink

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 14, 2005 7:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

god, i dont envy you simone...hows about tuna salad with cold potatos, sween corn??...
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 14, 2005 11:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a salad that was very nice...cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots - blanched briefly and then combined with cucumber, chick pea (gargonzo beans), green peas, onion, tuna fish and then dressed with fat-free italian dressing....I know it doesn't sound very appealing - but it was very good! I seasoned it with a bit of lemon pepper. It does need to sit overnight so all of stuff soaks up the dressing. I added a shot of tabasco too! Cheese can be added - but its optional!

Simone...I hope you get some good news from the doctor!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 15, 2005 1:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mushrooms & chick peas all raw veggies except onions Scowling Demon so it sounds great to me I also adore lemon pepper I added some dried lemon rind to whole black peppercorns & now when I twist to get the pepper I get the lemon as well. I will try yours out as I have to go shopping tonight so now I can add to my list Smile

I am a tuna/salmon girl as well so I am grateful for something.

I just called the Dr for results still not in I had a few corn chips last night & was up half the night with a bloated painful stomach....I really hope the r hurries up so I know what I can & cannot have as for the Coeliac biopsy people are not allowed to go gluten/lactose free as they need it in my system to determine.....not looking foward to that test Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: