quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Must Read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2005 8:07 PM    Post subject: A Must Read Reply with quote

Health
'Light' Smoking Takes Heavy Toll on Health
-- Robert Preidt

THURSDAY, Sept. 22 (HealthDay News) -- There's sobering news for "light" smokers, or smokers who decide to cut down rather than quit: A new study finds that smoking just one to four cigarettes per day nearly triples risks for dying of heart disease or lung cancer.

The study dispels the notion that so-called "light" smokers aren't threatened by the serious health problems faced by heavy smokers.

Reporting in the current issue of Tobacco Control, researchers analyzed health and mortality data on nearly 43,000 men and women collected from the mid 1970s until 2002. All the people were between 35 and 49 years of age at the start of the study.

Compared with people who'd never smoked, those who smoked one to four cigarettes a day were nearly three times as likely to die of heart disease. Men who were light smokers were nearly three times as likely to die of lung cancer, while women who were light smokers were nearly five times as likely to be killed by lung cancer, compared with non-smokers.

The study also found that light smokers were at a 50 percent higher death rate from all causes than people who'd never smoked.

The American Cancer Society applauded the research.

Thomas J. Glynn, the ACS director of cancer science and trends and international tobacco programs, said in a prepared statement, "The finding that smoking just 1 to 4 cigarettes a day can significantly boost heart disease and cancer rates is important because many smokers, due to expanding restrictions on smoking in public places and at work, are cutting back on the number of cigarettes they smoke each day. By doing so, they often feel that they are sharply reducing or eliminating the health dangers from smoking. But this study shows that this is not the case and reiterates the important message that there is no such thing as a safe level of smoking."

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2005/09/22/hscout528099.html

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2005 6:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that on the news yesterday. That is quit an eye opener. I use to wish I could be like my husband. He can smoke one a day or even one a week. BUt like the article says, there is no safe cigarette.

Needed to be posted.

Thank you.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 23, 2005 9:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody,

Thank you for posting this! I find it very interesting because, before I quit, (being a 2 pack a dayer) I've always tried to justify the situation by saying, "If I just smoke a few a day, I'd never have to quit". Yeah right, dumb ole me! Embarassed

I'm so glad that I'm finally free! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Deb
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 24, 2005 9:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reminder......
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: September 24, 2005 11:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even one cigarette is safe, not one!
Keep those precious quits! Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: