quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fantasy football .. a rant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: September 26, 2005 9:00 PM    Post subject: Fantasy football .. a rant Reply with quote

Does anyone else get into this?

I was introduced into a league last season and this is my second year managing a team. There is alot of strategy and research and some luck of course in getting the right players from a draft, setting your weekly lineups and then watching the results of accumulating points from your starters as the play their real life games.

The thing is it makes you more aware of how the entire NFL is doing, not just your home team. Oh, sure, I still get to root (for real) for my Philadelphia Eagles, but I often find myself wondering how Priest Holmes (running back for Kansas City) or Ben Rothlisberger (quarterback for Pittsburgh) is doing and trying to actually follow all of the statistics and wondering how to improve next games lineup.

Then, there are injuries! Sure, you have backups, but how do they compare with the starters and when do you sit a starter and play a backup?

Yesterday for example, I sat out my (real life team) Fantasy starting kicker David Akers and played my backup (Jeff Reed, Pittsburgh, 8 points 2 FG's 2 XP's) instead because he looked like he pulled a hamstring last week. (Now I am diagnosing sports injuries)

Well, he started anyway and kicked the opening kickoff, and re-injured his hamstring (real life). There was a penalty (offsides) so the Eagles had to re-kick the kickoff and they sent David Akers out again (I'm ranting now!!!)

He re-injured his hamstring again (2nd time in 2 kicks and again the Eagles incurred another penalty. This time they took Akers out and had a lineman come in and really mangeld the kickoff.

To make a long story short (in real life, not fantasy) The game came down to 12 seconds on the clock and the Eagles in field goal position, what did they do, sent Akers out there again. It was only 29 yards, what the hell, I can kick one that far, drunk!

Anyway, Akers ran up to the ball, kicked it and fell to the ground grimacing and in tears as the ball sailed through the uprights, good for 3 points and they won 23 to 20. (real life)

Oh well, it's Monday night, and there's a game on. Kickoff time is right now! I'll know late tonight whether I'm 3-0 or 2-1, but at least it's only fantasy. My Eagles are really 2-1 in real life.

Good luck and see you in Detroit this year for the superbowl!

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 26, 2005 9:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I enjoyed your rant! Fantasy football indeed. Ya'll have finally found a way to be arm chair coaches for real. . . . or is that fantasy? Laughing

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 27, 2005 1:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed your Rant, too, Frank. Ofcourse, being from the South, we all like football. (I'm not sure I got the Fantasy part, but then I might have been having a blonde moment. Laughing --used to be one Laughing )

You sound like a lot of the BFs in my youth; I used to have season tickets for the Bears (50 yard line Smile for years because of that. And before that there was high school, and college football.....so I don't think I ever watched it on TV until somewhere in my thirties. I still prefer being there in person, but dont' get to do that much now.

Football is a good game, but even with a southern upbringing, I don't really understand "total immersion" which you guys do. Wink Laughing

Interesting rant!,though!Cool

Margaret
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 27, 2005 5:16 AM    Post subject: Re: Fantasy football .. a rant Reply with quote

Frankiet wrote:
Good luck and see you in Detroit this year for the superbowl!

Woohooo! I smell a party and have placed my request for tickets from a Ford buddy of mine!!!! Cool Hope my order gets filled! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Actually, I stopped following or even watching college and pro football when my step-father became ill nearly a decade ago. Thanks for helping me think of him.

Cheers to you! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: September 27, 2005 9:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO DOLPHINS (Real Life)!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 28, 2005 11:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankiet....YEAH FOOTBALL!!!

You should be one of those sports announcers!!! Wink Very Happy Awesome job of describing the game. Never heard of the Fantasy football, but it sounds interesting.

Ok...I'm a Dolphins fan. But enjoy watching the league in general. I should be a Colt's fan being from Indiana....but have no respect for them. When they left Baltimore in such a way...thought it was a dirty deal and now they keep milking the taxpayers in Indy dry!! Booooo!!!!

Smiles

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: