quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shock and a little bit of hope...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 6:45 AM    Post subject: Shock and a little bit of hope... Reply with quote

Well, my 20th High School Class Reunion has come and gone. Could you please tell me when all those folks in my class started smoking?!!?!?!?

I was genuinely shocked. We were always a fairly calm, nice group of kids. I actually used to think I was one of the wild ones of the bunch! LOL!!! Shocked Embarassed Wink

When I left, I was appalled at the folks (oddly a number of former "jocks") and the amount of folks outside in the cigarette huddle. I went over and said good night and wondered at the strange phenomenon ~ it seems so reverse of the rest of society.

But, on the brighter note...my college roommate called to find out how I quit. I had told her I had, but didn't "preach" to her. Well, a close relative of her's has been diagnosed with early stage copd. And, she wants to quit. That made me feel good. I am doing the happy dance. She is a brilliant woman who the world needs around for a long, long time.

Thanks for letting me rant. And, aside from the smoking, I did go to school with some truly nice folks. I just wish they'd be around for awhile.... Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 6:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

20th reunion? Shocked Egad, I never would have guessed it. You are looking so fine for your age! Must be all that healthy living! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
ggarrison19

Quit Date:
October 12, 2004

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 8:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So I went to my 30th reuinion a couple years ago....

One thing I noticed was that people seemed to have reversed. I graduated in the early 70s. So there were straight people (geeks) and freeky people (hippies although I have always hated that term). At the reunion, I was suprised by how many of the freeky folks turned straight and how many of the straight folks turned freeky.

Gary

SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 11:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allegany,

Hooray! for the girlfriend! You, no doubt, set an awesome example for her!!

And the people...just goes to show...we never know how it's going to turn out. Surprised We just sit back and watch and learn from it all...just what you did..look and wonder. Wink Very Happy

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 12:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy The good thing is that you set the stage for some one to be able to ask you for help with a friend in quiting.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 12:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your reunion was a lot of fun! I know mine was. But I had a different experience. Almost nobody smoked! Which was such a good thing. What shocked me was how OLD everyone looked! Shocked Made me wonder if I do too! Very Happy

MY expereince is more like Gary's except that, oh goodness, I graduated H.S. in the late fifties and college in the early sixties. I wonder if that is a TMI? Hmmmm.... Laughing

Margaret
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 7:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Margaret, everyone did look so old! j/k!!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

Really, I know I look older than I should because of sun and smoking damage. Other than the smoking, my shock was like Gary's the "reversals". And, I guess that is where Tonya hit it on the head, it is a lifestyle issue.

And, Barbara and Deb ~ thank you both. I really want others to know that they can quit. And you know, we all walk a fine line between "look what I did" vainful pride versus sharing acknowlegement. I think my girlfriend knows mine is an attempt not to be vain/prideful in my quit.

Well, off to put on my Oil of Olay.....only a decade until the 30th!!!! Rolling Eyes Wink Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 11:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been 45 years since I graduated from High School.....But sad to say all my smoking buddies from school has died from smoking related cancer......

I think it is great to be an example for all to see, breaking the chains of addiction can be done, ...

I am following you Wink Very Happy

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: