quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A new all time low...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2005 12:13 AM    Post subject: A new all time low... Reply with quote

For the first time in recorded history....I weigh less than my little sister. Way back in March, she suggested I try Weight Watchers, she had just signed up and liked the program. Well, I joined WW too. Since March I've lost over 60 pounds. She's stayed the same. I can't remember the last time the scales have been this low. My sister wasn't surprised, but she's recommitting to her WW efforts. She's taller and younger, but now that she is also "over forty", she's struggling more with weight. She quit smoking over three years ago. She's changing jobs, and the new job won't mean traveling nearly constantly and I'm sure once she settles into an exercise program and not having to eat out 4 or 5 times a week that she'll be losing too. I keep telling her when we get in shape, we'll have to sign up for the Amazing Race. I couldn't see myself doing that as a smoker, but I certainly can now...

I know a lot of us have gained weight in our quits. I certainly did. Between months 4 & 8 I gained over 20 pounds - I started gaining when my brother died. As I always did, I turned to food for comfort, got through Christmas eating everything in sight...but after getting mom settle in a nursing home in January/February, I realized that I needed to get my eating under control. Just like quitting, it’s all about choices. The WW program has really made me aware of just how bad some of my choices were. I also started exercising regularly - I had joined Curves when I had first quit and when life got crazy in October, I stopped going - that was a mistake...I had avoided weight gain in those first months quit because I was working out two or three times a week. And because I could actually breathe - I enjoyed the exercise - I could see such a positive difference in my energy and stamina. I've focused on learning more about good nutrition - and on making changes that I can sustain long term. I try to look at my weight lose efforts as making better choices - not thinking of this as a "diet". I won't be able to go back to eating the way I did - it was unhealthy. There is nothing I can't eat - I just have to be in control of the portion and be aware that when I make a less than optimal choice, I'll need to compensate with some really good choices to keep things balanced.

If you are struggling, I can tell you there isn't an easy fix. You have to figure out what will work for you. I've tried WW's several times before and lost, then regained. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing differently this time. My perspective and attitude are different. This is my first weight lose campaign as a non-smoker (other than when mom and I joined TOPS when I was in high school). I think some of the lessons I learned quitting have translated and helped me change my eating habits. It really is my choice what I eat or don't eat. I'm in control. I have a list of reasons why I want to lose weight, when I'm tempted, I review them. I promise myself two things every morning, I will chose to not smoke and I will choose to eat healthy foods in controlled portions.

If what you are doing isn't working, try to figure out why and try something else. Just like quitting, it isn't easy, but it is do-able and it is well worth the effort. I still have another fifty pounds to go and I'll get there - one day at a time...one pound at a time, I'll keep making better choices.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 16, 2005 12:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, congraulations on the weight loss! I never doubted you would do it! But....will I still know you? Laughing ....Hoping to see you at another Get Together next year. Maybe you should post another pic? Just to be sure.... Laughing

Anyway, sounds like you have mastered the Art of managing yourself and having the patience to get what you want. Terrific! Very Happy Those are things I need to learn a lot better.

Hugs and hugs, Very Happy

Margaret
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2005 7:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, Very inspirational post! Good for you! I am really going to ponder on what you wrote. Thank you so much for posting!

God Bless!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2005 12:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just showing all of us that it can be done~!!!!!!!! Thanks. I, too, have lost most of the unwanted weight through diet. It seems to come on so rapidly and take such time and care to leave.

Congratulations on yet another fantastic achievement. I agree. Another picture, please.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2005 1:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing and letting me know there is hope for all the blubber!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 16, 2005 1:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great, mary! Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: October 16, 2005 5:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Mary,

" The courage to change the things I can"

You are making life style changes.................Quitting this addiction shows us that we can make changes in our lifes , no more destruction but a new and beautiful life awaits..................

Good for you Mary, you are showing that it can be done Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you for sharing your journey with us,

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2005 11:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ya'll. I was back and forth on whether or not to post my success. It has been a struggle at times, but I am very determined - my long term objective is to see if I can get back to an army acceptable weight and be fit enough to pass the physical fitness test. I want to see if I can complete enough service to earn my military retirement. The next promotion board will be in September 2006 - I've got a ways to go - but I have time (about 9 months). I have to at least try. I will have to work hard to achieve this goal...weight and fitness - I can do it...and not smoking makes it much more achievable.
I'll keep ya posted.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 17, 2005 1:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD FOR YOU, MARY!!!!! GO FOR IT! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: October 18, 2005 8:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

Wow good for you. Sounds like your controlling the weight thing and I know this is not easy. I've gained 20 pounds and I'm ready to starve myself if this keeps up. I've been 130 pounds for several years and this morning I got on the scale and the sucker is saying 151 OMG, I'll have to get new clothes if this keeps up Laughing

Your doing great and hopefully I will join you soon.

Deb
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 19, 2005 12:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can do it Mary. After all, you quit smoking! We'll have to get Angel back here to give you some military incentive.

Hey, I'd go if they'd take me, but they don't take old dwarfs! ha ha.

You go girl!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: October 19, 2005 8:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTG Mary!

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: