quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

brother in hospital

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: October 30, 2005 11:04 AM    Post subject: brother in hospital Reply with quote

well, my brother has actually been in the hospital since i decided to quit smoking, and i think that is one of the factors that helped my decision along. he says it is something with his heart (i think his exact explanation was something about a tab being longer than it is supposed to be). he has been told by doctors in the past that he has a heart murmur. i guess that in itself is no big deal as i was told just last year that i have one. they just mad me go in for some tests and don't seem to concerned about it. i guess with my brother, he actually had a heart attack which is why they sent hime to the hospital. there was talk about a pacemaker, so they moved him to Brigham and Women's which is near Boston and an hour away from the rest of the family. he has been there about 2 weeks and they are sending him to a hospital closer to home tomorrow.
now me and this brother have never been that close. he spent most of my life in jail and i actually hardly know him. he is a recovering heroin addict, i think he still uses occasionally, but he won't tell me. he is on methodone and the hospital has given him a hard time and is trying to get him off of it. sorry, i'm rambling.
i've been to see him a few times because the hospital is actually really close to me. so i've been going about twice a week since he's been there. i am going to see him one nore time today before they send him back home. he says that whatever it is, it's genetic. they are testing my other brother (who is in prison) and my 21 year old niece already has it. my father also had a mild strole (he's fine now) a few years ago. so as far as hearts go, i guess this quit better stick!
BTW: my brother has also been a smoker all his life and there are many other lifestyle choices that have gotten him to where he is.
11 days going strong
jenny
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 30, 2005 12:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny-

You're doing a GREAT job with stopping smoking. Those early days are the roughest. While some days might feel more difficult than the day before, each day does indeed get easier and easier (not easy, but easier!)

I wish both you and your brother well! The old English word "courage" means "heart" - makes you think....

-Zuzu

Last edited by Zuzu on December 27, 2005 11:26 PM; edited 1 time in total
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 30, 2005 5:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's great that you're spending time with your brother, too, jenny; it's so easy to let past distance continue. and zuzu made a good suggestion about talking with your doctor about your brother's condition; it may be due more to environmental/lifestyle choices than to genetics.

keep up the good work! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: October 30, 2005 10:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny,

.......I too think it is wonderful to make that connection with your brother..Even though much time has passed between the two of you....You can still get to know each other as adults and share memories of childhood......

I also hope that you talk to the doctor about your brothers condition.....

You are doing so well with this quit, 11 days and going strong, be so proud of you Jenny, you do deserve freedom from nicoitne......

Hugs,

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 30, 2005 11:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny, you are doing a great job with your Quit! Driving was always the hardest for me! Take snacks and water for the car and music! THe cell phone is good, too, but here in Chicago we can't use them anymore while we drive! Sad

Thinking of you and your brother! Smile

Margaret
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 30, 2005 11:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you look young on your picture. I pray that you keep on this journey called freedom, quitting smoking is a very, very good idea. You will end up a stronger person, and maybe that strong women that you are becoming will be just the person your brother needs to start on his own journey. You should be very very proud of yourself. Peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: October 31, 2005 1:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny - I'm sorry your brother is so ill...but I'm glad you are able to be there for him. Family is family. Follow your heart - and be there for him...but hold on tight to your quit..you are doing GREAT....it will get easier.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: October 31, 2005 7:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother is moving back down towards home today for rehab. he will be there for about a week and then they are bringing him back up here to possibly get a defibrillator (spelling?) i did not have a chance to talk to a doctor as the doctor wasn't around yesterday and the nurses didn't seem to friendly. my dad probably has a better idea of what it is. if i tell my doctor, could she find out from the hospital what it is anyway? they are already watching my heart murmur pretty closely anyway because my dad had a stroke a few years back. anyway, i'm glad he gets to be closer to home where more people can go visit him Very Happy
jenny
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: October 31, 2005 8:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny,

You are doing an awesome job with your quit, keep it up and don't forget to pamper yourself because, you certainly deserve it. Very Happy

I'm sorry to hear about your brother and I think it's very thoughtful that you are spending time with him. Hopefully, he will make a speedy recovery.

Deb
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: November 4, 2005 6:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny,

You are an awesome young women, And doing wonderful with your quit during these trying times.

My heart goes out to your family and please know your brother in prison is also in my heart and prayers, Lord knows I understand what this can do to family.

Keep strong and know you are with me in heart and prayer.

Sandyz

been free for 744 days!

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: