quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Part time Smoker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie

Quit Date:
November 12, 2005

PostPosted: November 15, 2005 7:28 PM    Post subject: Part time Smoker Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I last had a smoke on the 12th of this month and because I don't smoke on a day today basis,I find it Easy Peasy!! It is when I drink alcohol that is when I smoke like mad!

After joining here and reading how well you are all doing,it has gave me the inspiration to Quit For Good. I worry about my lungs,heart and clogged up arteries. I have decided to cut down on my Drinking and that way I don't care about a smoke but I do like a drink on a week-end so It's gonna have to be Cold Turkey for me too!

By the way...Pleased to meet you all! Very Happy Very Happy

Lets start Living
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 12:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie,

Since you basically don't smoke except with drinking...maybe all that is needed is a replacement for the cigarette during that time of drinking.

Some have used a straw or some used a cinnamon stick. Gum, hard candy, and some deep breathing.

Really smoking is a choice...we choose whether to light up or not. So, next trip to the pub, just grab a straw to gnaw on and keep telling yourself I choose not to smoke because I've quit. And then just enjoy yourself and focus and concentrate on the moment of fun...not the thought of a smoke.

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
wiley

Quit Date:
March 20, 2005

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 1:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome-

I avoided those types of situations early on in my quit. I knew I would have a hard time so why expose myself to it. I told my friends and they were supportive and came up with some alternative things: movies, dinner at a friends, ect. I'm not tempted in those situation anymore, it just takes time

Wiley
Garrocha

Quit Date:
October 7, 2005

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 2:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only put myself in one bar scene situation. I had 1 drink and it was with all of my co-workers after a project deadline was met. I had touted my quit so there was no way I was going to smoke and I stayed only as long as I had to. I will say, not for any reason other to help you with a crave on down the road, that I did get a couple of craves the next day or so. Nothing I couldn't fight off but the smeel of smoke kind of kicked in the craves. Just so you are prepared.
Keep working hard!
Greg

However hard the climb may prove to be, I am going over that mountain and I AM going to reach my goal.

QD: 10/07/05
www.ccbutt.com
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 17, 2005 1:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was not the drink that triggered the crave for a cig, but the cig smoke of others around me. I avoided bars for a while, because I didn't like having to wash it out of my hair and clothes, not to mention it seemed to make me crave more the next day. I believe someone else said this?

However, I also think Deb has a good idea about the substitutes....munchies, straws, and of course, dancing is always good, if you are in a bar with a band! The endorphins produded by the exercise of dancing will kill the cig urge...too bad by the time I quit, my back was really too bad to...ah... "dance the night away?" as in days of yore! Laughing Ho, hum, oh well, I am quit, and you will be, too!

Nice to have you here, Val! Very Happy

P.S. I'm always saying not to romance the cigs, maybe I should be saying not to romance the cig environments either! "Dance the night away," indeed! Rolling Eyes Well, it was fun back in my young 24 hour/7 days. I just wish I hadn't been smoking while I was doing it! Razz

Margaret
chig

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 10:56 PM    Post subject: alcohol Reply with quote

You make it sound as if it is ok to drink alcohol. I had rather smoke than drink alcohol. Look at all the broken homes, innocent lives lost because of drunk drivers, etc. Read "The Other Side" (tales)..."Holding each other in a desperate dance around the demon, Always knowing how close to the edge we really are."...I think it was Deb's reply in the past when she pointed out it is just a tempting thought, which you control whether to act on or not...It's all a fight in the battleground of the mind...And we decide who wins...whether to remain smokefree or to light up... Still craving the demons 11 months later Scowling Demon Saying no, one day at a time Very Happy
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 11:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your decision to target your addictions, no matter what they are...and to choose freedom!

It seems that so many people link smoking and drinking....and it seems that there are similar chemicals changes when you imbibe in either! I personally made a decision to quit drinking (I used to have wine every night)...an I now have one maybe once a month or if I go out do dinner (which is rare). I don't find I miss it, and freedom in all of its forms is a wonderful thing.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 8:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiley wrote:
Welcome-

I avoided those types of situations early on in my quit. I knew I would have a hard time so why expose myself to it. I told my friends and they were supportive and came up with some alternative things: movies, dinner at a friends, ect. I'm not tempted in those situation anymore, it just takes time

This is my experience almost to a "t". I didn't drink for the first 3 or 4 weeks. Then I had a few beers at home to get used to the idea before drinking in public. Now, (as I love to brag about so often Rolling Eyes ) my group of folks even lets me pick out a bottle of wine once in a while. Which is quite impressive given the wine lovers (not experts, just lovers) I hang with.

It is possible to drink and not smoke. This will get better! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
chig

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 10:41 PM    Post subject: alcohol Reply with quote

If we can't look around us and see what one beer could lead to, we are not very wise. I know that I have a very high addictive personality. Craving cigarettes is bad enough; sure don't want to become an alcoholic... Rolling Eyes
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: September 28, 2006 9:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all people who drink are alcoholics. Drinking is ok as long as it's done responsibley. I may have about 2 drinks per month, in the summer, maybe 4 drinks. But I never think about it when I'm not drinking and don't feel the need to apologize for it. If it's tough not to smoke while drinking - stay away. If it's not an issue, enjoy that glass of wine or your cocktail of choice. Whatever works for you is what matters. You can do this. Best of luck, Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: