quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Update on car accident and photo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: November 15, 2005 7:49 PM    Post subject: Update on car accident and photo Reply with quote

I give thanks to Zuzu again for reminding me to post an update. Good grief I can such an idiot. I was reading Zuzu's message and got a call from Londa. What a wonderful feeling, thanks Londa. My concentration is sluggish and I am still thrilled I have spell check. Still forgive me if my wording gets a bit etchy, I stole some of this update from an e-mail.

I was at the Dr. yesterday and he said I have is a "closed head injury". The headaches are coming from pressure, and my neck and he wanted me to start physical therapy now to help realign my neck and upper spine. He wants me to do things like work puzzles, any thing to keep my mind active.

They are talking about me starting speech therapy, my speech is fine and the wording is misleading. They want to find out what part of my brain is not functioning as it once did and it would help teach another part of the brain to take over. It sounded complicated to me but they say the head injury is what is causing some short-term memory loss and confusion. It comes and goes but I still need to think about every thing that I do not to forget something in the process of doing it. I leave myself notes, it helps.

The headaches are the worst but they do seem to be getting better. She said they like to start treatment early there is much I can do to help the healing process myself, like mind games, word find, or anything that keeps the mind busy. I feel at times like I am coming in and out of a fog, they say that is normal.

I am still unable to drive; I go back to physical therapy next Friday and back to the Dr. next Monday.

I am keeping busy as I can when the headaches are less intense. I read as much as possible but some times I cannot recall what I have read and the words jumble up. Zuzu has recommended some web pages that have puzzles and hubby will be going to town tomorrow and I have asked him to pick up a word find book.

I want to thank everyone for all the special thoughts and prayers; I know this has helped me in my recovery. I am sorry I fail to help more on this site that has been so valuable to my quit. I pray everyone knows I understand the journey we take when quit is a complex and difficult one at time's but trust me when I say the path is so worth it. We are the ones that benefit this the long run, and the best advice I can give is remembering to take one day at a time and remember it is all about choice.

I have posted the news clipping of the accident,(below) my Blazer looks pretty good compared to the photos of the front view I took, they laid the hood back on for the picture. Also, take notice "age 43." How special, I turned 53 the last of October. Yes, angles wrote that article and I got a good laugh from it.

Kevin, if you would like move this photo to the gallery page it is fine with me.

Much love,

Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 15, 2005 8:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, sorry to hear you are having troubles. It takes time but healing will occur. Do you have enough help around with meals and such? Post when you can and keep that cheerful attitude.....its the best healer. peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 1:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, I had not realized that you were injured this much. I will be sending more healing thoughts your way, and hope that all becomes normal very soon. What an experience that was! We are all so thankful that you are with us, and hope that this will become a thing of the past with all of your health restored to you. Hang in there!~

Hugs,

Margaret
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 8:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, glad you are ok and really glad the doctors are being proactive in your treatment!

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 3:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi,

I also had no idea that you were hurt so bad. Hand held scrabble games are good for memory I've heard. It can be played 1 or 2 players. Last I saw they ran about $25 but that was years ago.

Blessings,
barbara

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 7:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

Just count each day as a blessing and continue to heal. Will be praying for your increased strength and clear thinking.

It has to be so frustrating for you. One who is so apt with words and now having to fight for a clear head. It will get better with each day.

Praying and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 16, 2005 10:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, sandy, i think this is a good place for this post, so i'll leave it.

it's pretty amazing that you walked away from that, if that picture makes it look good...

best of success with your therapy; let us know how things are going. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Backfist

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 19, 2005 7:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowee, Sandyz!

You take care, now--mend well and fast!

dekie
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 8:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy I just saw this Sad you take care & I hope you are on the mend , so lucky you are all in one piece.

Love,
Simone
xx
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 11:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone, I am back to work and getting better every day. I still have a few problems with memory and headaches but this will pass. I have lost some hearing in my left ear but I figure a small price to pay for what happened. I was lucky to have in a way walked away with minimal damage to my system. I go back for (I hope) my final cat scan of my head the 22 of January, we hope all swelling will be gone. I feel less pressure in the back of my skull so I am not really concerned about the test.

I did go through a weird depression but my Dr said this was normal with head injury. It was nice to be able to tell the hospital when they asked that I was not a smoker, told them I had quit 2 years ago. That was one good feeling I had.

I felt a bit of pride for my quit and thankful to have survived. Thanks again for so many kind words, thoughts, and prayers. And…for a place to come home to.

Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: January 9, 2006 6:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

*big hugs* to you Sandy Smile

Love,
Simone
xox
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: January 9, 2006 11:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, as usual, you continue to amaze me with you unselfishness and grace....my what a lady you are....
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: