quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Quit Smoking Tips from Psychology Today Magazine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 17, 2005 1:37 PM    Post subject: Quit Smoking Tips from Psychology Today Magazine Reply with quote

This article appeared today in Psychology Today Magazine. It is very good!! I hope you will access the link. Some I already knew, some things I didn't.

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100108065

Margaret

Last edited by marw on November 17, 2005 9:27 PM; edited 1 time in total
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 17, 2005 7:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I did check it out (long article!!! Shocked ) ~ but like you said, many interesting things.

Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 17, 2005 9:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this quote from the article was especially interesting and made me think (and shudder, too!):

Quote:
"Take all the deaths in America caused by alcohol, illicit drugs, fires, car accidents, homicide, and suicide. Throw in AIDS. It's still only half the deaths every year from cigarettes," says Fiore.

Margaret
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: December 7, 2005 11:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article so far .......I sent it to a friend to print so I can read later.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 18, 2005 1:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you Margaret,

It was a long article. I could only read about half of it.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 18, 2005 6:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great article - I savored it. It gave me more compassion (and some rational) for some of the ongoing challenges I've continued to experience now, nearly two years out. It's also given me more compassion and understanding for those who remain addicted.

Last edited by Zuzu on December 27, 2005 11:06 PM; edited 1 time in total
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 18, 2005 10:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuzu,

Boy, you really made me think. And I agree with everything you said about the docs, and especially about the Ativan....which, by the way, is the drug I DO take for anxiety. My anxiety is not related to quitting smoking, but to the Fibromyalgia that I have. Are you sure you don't have that?

Anyway, I have a lot more good info. and some good links to articles about getting treatment for Pain and/or anxiety, and I will post them here tomorrow or the next day. I would do it now, but I have taken some medication (Prednisone) for a CT scan I am having tomorrow, and my brain is way too fuzzy to figure out what I'm doing. I was just going offline, and saw that you had left this post.

Your doc should learn the difference between dependence and addiction. They are not the same. Dependence can happen when taking almost any drug, but it is easily dealt with by tapering off under a doc's supervision, when or if one is ready to stop the drug. Addiction is an entirely different matter, and involves whole different behaviors.

One of my favorite articles is in AARP: "Prisoners of Pain" by Barry Yeoman in the September/October issue. I'm sorry I can't get the addy right now, but I will.

Do not smoke, however. I know you won't, but I speak from experience when I say it won't help the Anxiety to go back to smoking. Before I quit this last time, I did go back to smoking, but it only made the anxiety worse.

I did not get the Ativan until I had nearly fried my brains trying out all these other drugs (such as Paxil) which did not work, and had so many side-effects. I don't have any side-effects from Ativan, except a little sleepiness, but I just cut the dose down to .5 and it was O.K. I still have problems sometimes getting it, and God help me if I lose a pill....the Pharmacy COUNTS them!...and if one pill should roll under your fridg, forget it....you just have to miss that dose! I think the DEA has gone nuts over this stuff. They are prosecuting our docs, instead of chasing down real drug dealers.

Well, hey, I got a Rant in here, too! Boy this all strikes a nerve with me, because I spend my Life in chronic pain, and it has been such a struggle to get adequate treatment.

More later.
Hang in there.

Thanks for your thought-provoking response! Cool Very Happy

Margaret
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 18, 2005 11:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuzu,

Forgot to say, I am taking the prednisone tonight because I am allergic to the iodine/dye used in tomorrow's CT test.

Anyway, I was able to get the address of the AARP article about why our doctors will not prescribe the meds we need. Here it is:

http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/prisoners_pain.html

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: