quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there anything more anoying than....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faby

Quit Date:
August 14, 2005

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 12:04 PM    Post subject: Is there anything more anoying than.... Reply with quote

walking down the street as you do, and there's someone smoking right in front of you and blows out their disgusting smoke and it manages its way to get right into your face!!!??? I started being more vocal about my disgust, and every time it happens I walk faster trying to catch up and start coughing and doing hand gestures as if i'm trying to fan the smoke away.... It does seriously annoy me, i can't stand the smell, its absolutely disgusting, the city is polluted enough as it is and i have enough holding my breath because of the smog that comes from the cars but now it seems I have to hold my breath constantly as there is a smoking idiot every two steps.
I hope they ban smoking in public spaces completely. who's with me?

Sometimes...all I need is the air that i breath........
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 1:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faby-

I am not opposed to smoking on the street - though it DOES bother me too. Don't get me wrong, I really don't enjoy it if/when someone is smoking in front of me (or like my partner, smoking beside me.) Even still, I don't think I'd support a ban.

Regardless of what anyone else is doing, YOU are doing a great job on this quit, by the way!

-Zuzu

Last edited by Zuzu on December 27, 2005 11:11 PM; edited 1 time in total
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 1:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faby, I'm with you ALL THE WAY!!!!! I hate it, hate it, hate it!! I live in Chicago and have the same problem! I hate the stink and I resent getting it in my hair and clothes, which happens from these street smokers when the streets are crowded. And also....isnt it a miracle we don't get set on fire?! Shocked THey hold their cigs down by their sides often and you can't see them and people are jostling each other. I think it so bad now because they can't smoke at their jobs here in many places, so they can't wait to get outside. Instead of banning the smoke in the buildings, I think they should have a special room for the smokers somewhere, and then they could just kill each other in that room only.

An airport in Atlanta, Georgia used to do that, but even as a smoker I would never go in it, because it really was bad. But maybe they could have vents to pull it out the ceiling--an exhaust system, as it were, kind of like on cars. Razz

Anyway, I totally sympathize.....and when I WAS a smoker I did not smoke on the streets....and was always very careful not to annoy others. I don't find any excuse for the behaviors of people these days with regards to smoking!

Margaret
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 6:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cigarettes ever become illegal - fine. Until then, I take issue with these bans. Governments put high taxes on these products, we in turn pay for these products but are then told that we may not be able to use them in public. Again, tobacco is LEGAL. I am thrilled to be a non-smoker after 27 years and many attempts, but I will never "forget where I came from." Kerry
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 6:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree with zuzu on this one. it does bother me and it seems like everyone in the world lights their cigarettes in front of me now, but when i was smoking, someone saying something to me as i was walking down the street would just make me mad. i think more should be done to enforce not smoking in outdoor areas where it is not allowed and you therefore do not expect to see/smell it. i've noticed a lot of people at train stations smoking outside where it clearly says smoking is not allowed. but as far as walking down the streets and smoking, even if it was ever considered to ban it, it would be almost impossible to enforce.
jenny
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 7:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even post the response that came natural but I'm with Zuzu. Just because I'm not a smoker it doesn't give me the right to be down right rude or God for that matter. God gets to judge we DON'T.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 7:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in total agreement with Zuzu on this one.

Kindness is such a blessing!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Kindness is such a blessing...................that simple truth Londa, it made me smile. You are a blessing. Very Happy Peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 9:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I dislike the smell of smoke and would love to see tobacco products removed from the market I have to weigh in with the majority here. There are some people who wear far too much purfume but you would no more be rude to them than you should a smoker. Smokers and obese people are the only groups of people that folks feel free to step on. The saddest part is both groups are more likly to die young.

I cross the street when I can, or simply lag behind until it isn't blowing in my face.

Here's a thought, raise the smoking age to match the drinking age. Studies show that young people who make it to 21 without smoking rarely start. Of course that would require real policing or it won't do anything.

Maybe we will get lucky and one day some tobacco scientist will invent another, better way to use tobacco that doesn't involve addicting people for life to a product that will ultimately kill them in any number of horrible ways and supplys just as much revenue.

*Sigh*

One can only dream.

I wish you peace.

alison
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: November 20, 2005 10:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're talkin' Alison! I realize that if tobacco were outlawed that a lot of jobs would be gone (including some in the medical community) but wouldn't it be great if someday a useful purpose were found for it? I've often wondered why such a plant was placed on this Earth or why we discovered it. Sometimes I think we were meant to discover it but are missing the boat on how we were meant to use it. Interesting thought.
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 21, 2005 8:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that i am quit, i honestly can say ban them, don't ban them, i don't care.

when i'm walking and end up in someones stinky smoke, i just take the opportunity to re-enforce my quit. you know "i'm glad i don't smell like that anymore" or "poor guy, still having to feed his addiction".

its all in the attitude!

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: November 21, 2005 10:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned in my research of my heritage that Indians used the plant as a sacred ritual. It was used to cleanse the body but was not smoked in many cases. Unless it was used in the peace pipe but even then that was rare and never inhaled by indians.

I still like the firs smell of smoke but after that is it is nasty smelling as in stale. But those who are smoking are making a personal choice just as we have made the choice not to smoke and stop killing ourselves. We can blame the tobacco industry for the nasty addiction that we picked up but in the end result it was us who picked it up for whatever reason and it is us who have to put it down and say enough.

I think we need to be a little more tolerent for those who have not seen the error of their ways as of yet. They will one day one way or another but we do not have the right to come right out and say to a stranger you stink and would you quit blowing your smoke my way. That is just down right rude. We do not have the right to be judge jury and executioner. Only god has that right.

At least this is my opinion and I do beleive it coincides with what zuzu and some of the others were saying

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 21, 2005 3:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta go with everyone else on this too. It was annoying to me when people did it when I smoked, and though unpleasant to be in the midst of it, cannot imagine making another smoker feel bad. The way I figure it, by now, all smokers know that what they're doing is bad for them. They KNOW it's not good for them or the people around them. It is still a choice...

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 21, 2005 5:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree that we should remember that those addicted are at this point still prisoners of their habit, and extend some kindess to them. However, it is wise not to forget the dangers of breathing passive smoke. Here is some info on the effects of this:

Quote:
In 1993 the EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency), reported that passive smoking is responsible for 3000 lung cancer deaths of nonsmokers every year. Did you know your children smoke? That old saying, if you smoke, your family smokes, is true. Children exposed to smoker's smoke have increased risk of lung infections, such as asthma, bronchitis, and allergies and ear infections, as well. Women exposed at home and at work had double the risk of having a heart attack.

There are two types of smoke coming to a nonsmoker the mainstream smoke, which is the smoke inhaled and exhaled from the smoker. Then there is the sidestream smoke which is the smoke from a cigar or cigarette just burning in an ashtray. The sidestream smoke has even more carcinogens it is giving off into the air. Smoke contains over 3,000 chemicals, at least 50 of which are known and identified carcinogens (which means cancer causing). Smoke also contains tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide. Only 15% of smoke is inhaled by the smoker. The other 85% goes directly into the air to be inhaled by nonvoluntary nonsmokers.

Second hand smoke inhalation causes increased risk of lung infections and lung diseases such as pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, cancer, as well as, ear infections, sinus problems, heart disease, strokes, nose, eye and throat irritation, nausea, dizziness and headache. Not to mention stains on clothes and material and a very unpleasant smell that gets onto to your body and into your hair and clothes.

The American Lung Association reported that 20% of the population is at risk of developing lung disease from second hand smoke. There is sufficient documented studies on the dangers of second hand smoke. Also called passive smoking, non-smokers who breathe second hand smoke from smokers have an increased chance of developing lung cancer. If you live with a smoker, you have a 30% increased chance of getting lung cancer or having a heart attack. Tobacco specific carcinogens have been found in the blood and urine of nonsmokers who were exposed to environmental tobacco smoke.

The NE Journal of Medicine 1993 reports that children and infants living with smokers have increased instances and chances of ear infections, bronchitis, and asthma. Also, studies have linked infant deaths with asthma to in house smokers.

(quote reprinted from "essosrtment.com")

Margaret
Faby

Quit Date:
August 14, 2005

PostPosted: November 21, 2005 7:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies....I do acknowledge that smokers do have a choice in this ut they choose to keep on smoking and polluting the earth. I would get relly worked up about not being allowed to smoke in certain places or when people looked at me funny when i lit up, but i knew that what i was doing was wrong and didnt care if my smoke was annoying someone close to me, because my addiction was making me not care about anyhting else but getting my fix!!
All your comments are very interesting, I'm open to criticism but let me clarify that I do respect individual freedom but i'm a bit wary of calling smoking an individual freedom. If you ask any smoker if they would give it up if they could most of them will say they would but it's too hard...so i question to what extent smokers actualy decide to smoke at free will? we all have the choice to say ok, from now on i wont smoke, but it's can be really hard so where's the freedom in that again?

Sometimes...all I need is the air that i breath........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: