quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Margaret's Diet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 6, 2005 12:34 AM    Post subject: Margaret's Diet Reply with quote

Occasionally when I mention that I lost 15-20 pounds when I was young, and never regained it, people want to know how I did it. Several people I know have used this system and it worked for them, too. So, I decided to post it, in case anyone else can make use of it. This is it:

When I was young, I never got into a major ballet company, and was forced to do chorus line work instead, because of an extra 15 or 20 lbs that I carried. I was almost 30 (too old for professional ballet) by the time I lost it. I must have been on every diet in the world, but dancing makes you eat like a horse, and I just could never lose it. When I finally figured out what to do, it worked and I have always stayed the same weight with no effort. This is very slow. You lose weight slowly. Some of it, the first and second steps especially, you may not need, if your self-esteen is in good shape. (Mine wasn't.)

1. Before I went to sleep one night, I decided that when I woke up I would know what to do.

2. When I woke up, I thought I didn't really know, but it seemed as though I knew some stuff--was definitive about what to do. So I decided that God made me "fat", that I was beautiful the way I was, and that I would never go on another diet.

3. Because I was afraid (at the rate I was eating, and because I had never been able to lose the weight--I was a dance teacher by then and not trying to get into a company anyway--was afraid I would end up looking like my paternal grandmother, who was short and very, very fat. So I tried to to find a family image (picture) to keep in my mind of someone thin, and to visualize that I would look like that when I got old. (I found out later that people marketed this technique--I thought I invented it--and that, according to them, the image can be anyone you admire.) So, anyway, never having heard of visualization, I picked my other grandmother--maternal one. She was short and slender.

4. Then I decided to eliminate starchy foods that were my least favorites. So I stopped eating bread with my meals unless I was having a sandwich. And I stopped most of the potatos.

5. Because I was a sugar addict, I knew that I could never give it up, so I decide to allow one sweet thing a day. It could have been 1 dessert, for example. But I chose, instead, my morning sweetroll, because in those days I loved them and would have just felt too deprived. I made a real effort to avoid that sense of deprivation.

6. I did not snack.

7. This next is the most important one, and the key to success. Never finish all your food. Leave at least one bite on your plate. (We were all brought up by our mothers to finish all our food, and were so aware that food cost money and was precious, etc. and even heard about "the starving children in India". That kind of conditioning must be broken.) This also trains the mind that food is not so important. In the beginning I could only, reluctantly, leave one bite. Then I got gradually so I would just eat until I was comfortably full--not "heavy" full--and leave the rest. It happens slowly so I hardly noticed the process.

8. I knew I would fail, so I built in a "fail--safe" device. This is actually a once a week treat. Once a week, I was allowed to eat any anything I wanted and to gorge on it.

9. I never weighed myself. (I didn't, because I did not want to focus attention on weight or eating--"no-no" words for me.) But I think that part is optional for others.

How This Worked: The first week was soooo hard, just like the quit. I had to follow my program, and just pray that I lasted until Friday--my "Treat" day, where I could finally feel happy and satisfied again. Friday arrived, and that afternoon, I went to an ice cream parlor and ordered the giant ice cream sundae with extra ice cream and a zillion topppings--and ate the whole thing. Week 2: It was much easier, but I was still looking forward to Treat Day. Treat Day came, and I eagerly went out to feast, but to my surprize I didn't want all of it--only ate about half of my treat. Week 3: The whole thing was quite easy by now, and I barely noticed the difference in my eating habits. I went through the motion of Treat Day, but I really didn't want all that gooey sweet stuff, so just ate a little and left. I discontinued treat day, after that. I never really thought much about the program again, but I just kept it going because it was kind of second-nature to do so. Finally after a few months, I noticed something. My clothes were baggy. I, at last, weighed myself. I was what I weigh now. I could then eat dessert when I wanted or any other food, but I've never really wanted to again. Occasionally, I eat a lot, or have a big dessert.

Why It's Healthy: By eliminating snacks, unnecessary starch (I think called "carbs" today), and most heavy sugar (but I never, ever used anything artificial such as sweetener), I ended up with a diet of meat, vegetables, some carbs, and fruit. A little sugar and fat is O.K. and probably good for us. I also ate a lot of dairy products, but I always had. They are good for you, unless you have some allergy to them. Lots of good protein there.

Well, that's it. Worked for me. But we are all different, so taylor for yourselves whatever works for you! Very Happy

P.S. During the Quit, I snacked for the first time in years, but I didn't gain a lot, and have lost most of it again....carrying about 5 pounds more than usual.

Margaret
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 6, 2005 9:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Margaret,

I did misunderstand you in the other post thinking it would take time to download. Sorry about that.

blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
JamesP

Quit Date:
November 3, 2003

PostPosted: December 10, 2005 8:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your diet makes a lot of sense to me. I'm going to give it (or something close) a try and see how it goes. I need to change my relationship to sweets, not just lose a few pounds. I'll let you know how I do with it.

James

Enjoy your quit -- it's the last one you'll ever have!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 11, 2005 12:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, I'll be interested to hear how it works for you. You may need to fine-tune it for your own life-style. One friend, who worked as a hair-stylist, told me she discovered her main source of sugar had been Pop. She was drinking Coca cola all day long while she worked, and when she switched to water, she lost a lot without much more change than that. Me, I was a real sweetaholic Laughing , and needed a stricter plan, but one that I could live with.... Hope it works for you. Very Happy

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: