quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

This is thought provoking.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howardl

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 25, 2005 12:54 AM    Post subject: This is thought provoking......... Reply with quote

Daily Mail in England ran this story about a surgeon who refused to treat a patient until the patient quit his cig habit for 6 months. Now you have to remember that England (like Canada) has socialized medicine. This means that the smoker, via his pay packet deductions, is paying into a system that now is refusing him. Even though we all agree smoking contributes to the condition ......... do the public servants in the health service have the right to refuse based on lifestyle ? Of course there's always the argument that if smokers didnt smoke then the cost of the service would be lower therefore taxpayers wouldnt have to contribute as much ......... How do you guys feel about this issue ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=372062&in_page_id=1774&in_a_source=

If you put your hand in the fire and you get burned, don't sue the guy that built the chimney.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 25, 2005 1:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read this, I was out-raged that this man was being refused medical help. THen I read on, and came to this statement by the doctor refusing the help:

Quote:
Mr Lamerton defended his stance yesterday, insisting: "Seventy-five per cent of patients who stop smoking notice an improvement in symptoms.

"Unless the condition was limb-threatening, this would always be the preferred option and would be the best course of action. It helps avoid surgical intervention, which inevitably carries a risk with no guarantee of success and with failure occasionally resulting in limb loss."

It sounds to me like the article might be a bit biased to favor a surgical intervention that might not be the best possible answer to this man's condition. I do think, however, that he should be given help to stop his smoking habit.

Although living in the U.S., I had a somewhat similar experience about 15 years ago when I wanted some cosmetic surgery done. The surgeon flat-out refused to do it unless I quit smoking because of the possibility of scarring that nicotine can cause. I did quit that time...for 2 weeks prior to surgery and 1 week afterwards (the surgeon had requested 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after, but I didn't make it that long). THe surgeon also gave me a discount because I had quit. I don't think he realized....not being a smoker himself....just how addicted we are, or that I would relapse. But at any rate, the surgery went very well. So that's one person's experience. I only wish I could have stayed quit, and saved my lungs. By the time I quit for good I had developed COPD! Sad

Margaret
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 25, 2005 12:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it happen to me here (U.S.) recently and I PAY for my extremely outrageously ridiculously expensive health/dental insurance.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: December 26, 2005 12:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel saddened that our addiction to nicotine is stronger to some than to possibility of a lost limb or life.

I have no thoughts about this, just profound sadness.

Sandyz
been free for 795 days

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: December 26, 2005 4:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this physician should have his license revoked. I'd hate to think that he might refuse a patient heart surgery because a person is overweight. I can just see it now, "Lose that fat and in 6 months I'll repair that blockage!!!" How disgusting.
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 1:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news said:
Quote:
A smoker suffering from narrowed arteries in his legs has been told by surgeons to quit his habit before they will treat him.

TO QUIT HIS WHAT??? HIS HABIT!!!! NOW THAT GETS ME FIRED UP!
I hear and see that way to often. The medical profession still sees smoking as a habit and NOT an ADDICTION. Yes indeed it is part habit but MORE ADDICTION! I personally believe that the medical profession needs to wake up and recieve some education on this fact. Nicotine addicts need the same kind of help as any other kind of addict. What help did this doctor offer this patient? If this patient had of been addicted to cocain or alcohol what would the doctor have said?? Would he have suggested a treatment center or something.

Why is it that nicotine addicts are left out there on our own to figure it out by ourselves. I swear I think those of us who have quit are some of the strongest people around. We have kicked an addiction that is stronger than cocain or heroin with out any treatment centers or hospitalizations or in most cases without any help from anyone in the medical community. Gee how many more could possibly quit if they had proper info on quitting and some support from their Dr. instead of being told drop your bad habit!

Tammy
Free and loving it!
howardl

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 11:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy wrote:

Why is it that nicotine addicts are left out there on our own to figure it out by ourselves.

I think the answer to that is because it is legal to smoke. There is no financial gain to the government in helping us quit. That has been proven by the missuse of the "Master settlement" funds.

Until the goverment grows a pair - we are on our own in this.

If you put your hand in the fire and you get burned, don't sue the guy that built the chimney.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 11:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

But alcohol is legal too and there is assistence for alcoholics.
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: December 29, 2005 12:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Kerry, Alcoholics can get assistance in quitting from most health insurance companies and from the government. Alcohol is certainly legal too. I truly believe it is from lack of knowledge. Most people still believe that cigarette smoking is just a bad habit. NOT a drug addiction.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: