quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TURKEY!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 22, 2006 4:08 PM    Post subject: TURKEY! Reply with quote

Two years ago I never would have imagined it possible, but some of the aspects of quitting smoking have become so "normal" again that I hardly notice them at all. I don't "stink" of cigarette smoke anymore, but being "not stinky' has become the normal thing. I don't wheeze constantly anymore, but I sometimes forget the constant noise that used to emminate from my lungs with every breath I took.

However, there is one positive aspect of quitting that continues to astonish and amaze me day after day, every single day. It's that I can smell again!

Why am I mentioning this today? Well, I decided to defrost and cook a turkey today that i got on sale during the holidays. At about midday, I got the oven preheated and the turkey ready, and popped it in the oven.

Then, Mr. Bill and I took our dog Tiger for about a 1 mile walk down the road. As we were coming back, it occurred to me how wonderful the air smelled...so fresh, clean, and well, wintery. Someone across the road was burning, and there was also a smell of burning leaves, which I love. But as we got closer to the house...it hit me....the wonderful, fragrant, juicy, lovely, indscribeable smell of...roast turkey! Could I have smelled it if I had still been a smoker? Maybe, but nothing like this! It was wonderful. I was so glad that this smell was coming from the house I lived in, as we turned into the driveway.

If you are just starting out on the road of quitting, and kicking yourself and wondering if it's worth all the effort and suffering, let me be the first to swear to you...YES, YES, YES IT'S WORTH IT! How could I have missed out on these wonderful smells from the age of 17 until I was 52 when I quit? What was I thinking?

People quit smoking because it can add many years to your life....but who know how much it could improve the quality of the life you live EVERY SINGLE DAY...by finally allowing you to really, really smell things as they are meant to be smelled?

Mmmmmmmmm....just think how good it will taste!

People, just keep quitting, no matter what, as there are nothing but good things in store for you!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 22, 2006 5:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Pam, not only would you have been unable to smell that wonderful roasting turkey but do you think you could have walked a mile Question Question
I doubt it. There's no way I could have done that prior to quitting.

Yes, freedom is fantastic Exclamation

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 22, 2006 6:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Pam. The sense of smell is one of our important 5 senses. It's almost like being blind and now we can see. We basically had no sense of smell and now we can enjoy all the wonderful aromas..... In particular I notice this when I'm outdoors. AND I'm loving it too. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 22, 2006 11:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific post, Pam, And so true!
Remember when I couldn't get enough of smelling the hostas? Never even knew they had a smell when I smoked!

YUM! Turkey is even better. Very Happy Our taste buds have imporved, too! Wink

Margaret
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 23, 2006 10:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% ~ and like you I spent so many years unable to smell ~ it is like a whole new world!

I've got a turkey thawing right now...I'll think of you when I smell it cooking! Cool

Have a great smell filled day!!!! Smile

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
justdebbie

Quit Date:
August 1, 2004

PostPosted: January 24, 2006 1:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Pam.

I love hearing the things people love about not smoking. How we can all relate to the wonderful feelings.

We need more of this postive reinforcement.. So Thanks Pam!!!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 25, 2006 5:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: January 25, 2006 10:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you were having such a wonderful day...thanks for sharing it with us...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: January 26, 2006 12:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy My smoking husband was astonished the other day when I for the 1st time could smell the mouthwash he had used.

Thank you for you lovely experience.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: