quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your opinions needed please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: February 25, 2006 7:42 PM    Post subject: Your opinions needed please! Reply with quote

I actually started out today going food shopping and after about 2 hours in the store (it was mobbed) I almost got into a really bad car accident, on the way out of the parking lot. A woman ran a stop sign. I saw her coming, I was doing about 40 miles per hour (I guess a little fast far a parking lot but it was on the main road without stops) so without having time to hit the brake or slow up I made a sharp right into a do not enter, it was either that or get hit on my drivers side and she was coming quick. I probably would of gotten pretty banged up. The problem though, when I turned into this do not enter, I didn't actually make the turn the way I planned so, I ended up in the shrubs and bushes. OMG, I was mortified. Embarassed The woman stopped and apologized and all's I said is, it could of been a lot worst and she drove off. I thought well, thanks for getting out and making sure I can even move the car, because it jumped the curb into the flower beds Embarassed No damadge though. Ok, now for the real reason of this post.

I know some of you told me not to worry about the weight issue (that I can deal with it later) but, I've already gained 10 pounds since my quit. I was already about 10 pounds over weight when I started so, I really need to lose 20 pounds. My clothes are so tight and I will not buy larger ones, therefore I think it time to get as serious with the diet as I am with the quit. I couldn't decide which diet to do so, I went shopping and prepared myself for both...lately I can't seem to make decisions..... Shocked

Ok, I was told by a dear freind, that the Atkins diet is a good way to lose weight quickly especially, if I exercise with it. So today I went out and bought about 5 bricks of assorted cheese, pepparoni, pork rinds, and lot's of beef and pork. I've never tried it, it sounds so unhealthy. You are aloud to eat endless bacon, red meat, pork, cheeses, sausage, eggs, butter, pork rinds, very limited as far as veggies and no pasta, bread, fruit or sugar. Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen, what do you guys think?

Then I heard about the replace 2 bowls of cereal with two meals and a sensable dinner diet? I went out today and bought special k with strawberries, raisin bran and non fat milk. At least with this I could eat some fruit in the evening. My weekness is after dinner I need to have something sweet. with this atkins.......Pork rinds or a hunk of cheese after dinner doesn't do it for me. Oh well, I am going to start exercising too but, I still can't decide which diet to do.

Needless to say, I went food shopping and bought everything I needed for the both because I couldn't make up my mind Embarassed quitting smoking has been effecting my being able to make decisions lately - has anyone felt this?

Ok, I'll stop rambling, just want to stay quit and not be the next possibility for the good year blimp. Wink Any feedback will be appreciated.

Deb

Last edited by Deb on February 26, 2006 9:55 AM; edited 2 times in total
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 25, 2006 8:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,

The best advice is moderation in all things...take with lots of water. Wink Very Happy Laughing

Seriously, moderation. Here's what has worked for me to lose 10 pounds when I was following these guidelines...

1. No white breads, rice, or potatoes. Whole grain bread and brown rice.
2. Avoid fruit juices...the fructose is converted to pure sugar in the body. It has lots of vitamins, but the sugar puts on added pounds.
3. Lots of salads...green ones with sensible dressings that are low cal.
4. EAT BREAKFAST!!!! Eat within one hour of waking to jumpstart the metabolizism. If you don't what is eaten later is stored as fat.
5. Eat little often...eat at least a little something every 3 hours.
6. Cayenne peper sauces help to jumpstart and rev up the metabolism.
7. Avoid sugar as much as possible.
8. Meats and cheeses are good. But lean meats are better. Fish is excellent...the omega 3 is great for the heart and mind.
9. I take the following vitamins each day....a multi vitamin, fish oil (1000 mg) capsule (encoated), one vitamin E (400 IU), one primrose oil (1000 mg) for woman issues, and B-100 (B vitamin complex) for energy
10. Water!!! Very Happy
11. Watch the portion sizes....we tend to eat more than we realize....except with salad...it's my unlimited food. Wink

Just some basic guidelines...sensible eating with moderation.

Weight is a hard issue....hats off to you Deb for working on getting the weight off. Hopefully, by summer you will see a slimmer you. Very Happy

Love and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 25, 2006 8:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb, when I began with the weight problem, Melody steered me to fitday.com. It's a fantastic site where you chart your caloric/fat/carb/intake and your calorie burning activities. It's fantastic and it's free. They have a program you can purchase but I've been using the free on-line one and have lost about 7 pounds in 3-4 weeks.

The beauty of the site is realizing what you're eating and how little you're doing to burn it off. Give it a try. It's working for me. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: February 25, 2006 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my...I would not recommend 'ATKINS' - as you noted, the "fatty meats" can have negative impacts to the cardiac systems. And it really isn't a comfortable long term solution - a good diet should not exclude any major food group. I too would recommend trying to control portions, make better choices (no "junk" food), drink more water, start exercising and see if those changes get you where you want to be...It sounds as though you've been successful maintaining a resonable weight as a smoker - it may only take some minor tweaks to rev up your metabolism as a non-smoker. The fitday program is a very good tool to increase your awareness of what you are choosing to eat. Try the simple solutions first and if they don't accomplish the goal, then try something else...

I'm glad the "almost accident" was avoided with minimal damage...it is scary when you think about the "what if's" and other possible outcomes of a near miss....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: February 26, 2006 2:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,

Sure glad that the near miss turned out o.k.......

I have been on a no refined sugar diet for 3 weeks and I have lost 6 pounds...

Bran or cream of wheat with raisens, apples and rye toast for breakfast....Lunch is spinich salad topped with avacado and no fat dressing, oranges for between meals and soup for dinner and green tea...

Red cherries with yougart for desert..........so far so good..

As far as being having trouble making decisions, that has been happening to me, but I think for me it is just old age Wink Very Happy

But I agree with Mary, try the simple solutions first...

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 26, 2006 12:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Seabrez on this one. Take it from me. I've done lots of diets, cabbage soup, Atkin's, Grapefruit, Weight watchers (back before their prepared foods) you name it. The only thing that worked for me was exercise, and watching what you eat. Don't be fooled by fad diets. They're a sham, and of course you'd lose weight eating a bowl of Special K for your meals...think about it. You'd lose weight eating one bowl of Grape Nuts or any non-sugar cereal for all that that's worth...Balance your food. A good guideline, if you will be exercising as well, is just as she suggested, lay low on the starchy, carb-y things, more veggies and fruits, and balance that with some proteins (meat, beans, fish), drink lots of water, and do away wtih caffeine and sugars. No shortcuts. There are no shortcuts in dieting. And this way, you can still eat most foods you'd eat anyway. Just more mindfully.

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 26, 2006 1:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advise the "take everything on your plate and now eliminate half of it" diet.

Seriously, I'd be leary of anything that is a "all of one thing" type of diet, as they are usually very temporary.

Learning not to smoke is simple, just don't light one one. then do the same thing day after day. Over time, your body adjusts and relearns that it will survive without nicotine and smoking. your brain rewires to adjust to different chemical intake.

It seems that eating (or not) would be similar. You will crave anything that your body is used to getting. In time, these cravings will go away as your body relearns.

You cn do this.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 26, 2006 9:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young, I had to lose weight. I had been on every diet known to man at that time! It was important because the exra 10-15 lbs. was keeping me out of a pro ballet dance company.

This is what finally worked: I cut out all the starchy or fatty things that were my least favorite, like most bread (had it with sandwich if I wanted one, or a roll...no gorging on it) and potatoes....same with them. For sweets, I knew I would fail, so I put in a "fail-safe" that worked for me. I could have one, but only one thing a day. I chose sweet rolls in the a.m. but it could have been a single helping of something at night, or a smack after dinner. BUT ONLY ONE! And at the end of the week, if I did not cheat, I got to gorge myself on one really big sweet thing....like a whole cake or something wild!! (Note: I did not have an eating disorder, but I could nearly finish a cheesecake by myself! Shocked Rolling Eyes ) I chose ice gream sundaes. I also went to a restaurant or specialty store for the treat.

After the first three weeks I discovered I didn't want the "treat" day anymore. No interest. And for the rest of the diet, right from the beginning, I ate what ever I wanted, but NO SECONDS and I had to leave some on my plate, even if it was only 1 bite. AT first it was only 1 bite. But little by little....almost the same 3 weeks as the sweets....I started to leave a little more. In this way, I broke my fascination with food (and/or my addiction/obsession with it). It stopped being very important in my life, and very gradually lost the 15 lbs. I never even weighed myself until I realized my clothes were loose. I just stuck with the program.

Anyway, It might not be for you. But it sure worked for me. It was a few months, before I realized I had lost it. When my skirts started to be so loose, I weighed. I have been the same weight ever since. That was 36 years ago. When I quit smoking, I gained about 5 lbs, maybe a little more, but it has long been gone.

Like I said, it might not be the right one for you. But just thought I would throw it out here in case. I wrote an article on it...a first person description in more detail...which I posted here once. Let me know if you want it posted again. It just a "journal-like" description of what I did, but it is pretty much what I typed here. Happy to do it, however if you are interest in a first hand account. Very few people that I have given this to, have ever used it, but those that did always succeeded. My hair-dresser, for example, thinks I am a genius. It worked for her. On the other hand, some people do not like giving up their interest in food (although I don't mean I don't like it....and the nice thing is now that I'm programmed, I can safely go off the program for Holidays, or special dinners, no problem....I 'll be right back on the usual pattern the next day.) Aslo, some don't like it because it is so slow.

Anyway, hope you find the one for you. BTW: The Atkins diet was around even then, and I gained weight on it!! Very Happy

For me, losing weight was a lot like the quit. I tried and tried before I found something that worked. In the end, it is education, whether you do it consciously by payting attention to what you eat all the time, or unconsciously as I did by breaking the food adiction and sort of unconsciously eaing right ......turned out I ended up eating meat, veggies, and fruit a lot (also cheese because I had no Migraines in those days, and eggs, yogart and milk, which I loved.) Migraines came to me after the Menoause.... Mad Crying or Very sad

Good luck, and keep up this great quit whatever you do!!

P.S. THe one thing I don't know is if this works if you are not exercising. i was a dancer, so I had PLENTY of exercise.

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: