quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spring already?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: March 1, 2006 11:15 AM    Post subject: Spring already? Reply with quote

Wow, I just went out to drop some mail in the box and it's such a beautiful day here in NC. It's warmed up to about 70 and it's only 10:00 or so in the morning.

I took notice of the dandelions already growing. Is it time to mow the lawn already? Shocked I love the spring and it looks like it's going to come soon.

The warm weather is starting to scare me, it makes me think of my new life without the smokes. I have a lot of reprograming to do because, I love sitting out on the porch with a tall glass of tea or (depending on the time) a nice cold beer and YEP........a cig. Embarassed It's difficult to think about how I will get through the days ahead.

In another sense I'm sort of excited because I'm getting myself back into the swing of exercising everyday and I look forward to taking long walks without getting out of breath. Perhaps I can even crank it up to a slow jog now, who knows. Very Happy

I do know that keeping this quit is a must and if I could hang on to the images of not being able to breath instead of romancing the cig, I might be able to win this battle. I have a feeling that I may have to bring my computer outdoors so I can stay close to all of my freinds here at Woofmang. Without you, I would never have been able to come this far.

Deb
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 1, 2006 12:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

deb, the great thing about sitting on the porch drinking an iced tea or a cold beer is that you get to choose whether or not to have that cigarette with it; i suspect that you'll make the right choice, when the time comes. until then, just enjoy this moment. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 1, 2006 12:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Stop, you're making me jealous. It's in the 20's here with snow predicted. And, our building heat was not working here this morning when I arrived at work.....brrrrrr!

I'm hearing some doubt in your voice, and I don''t like it Deb. Yes, we are here to give you support.....but YOU are the one chosing not to smoke.....YOU are the one who is chosing to join Woofmang......YOU are the one driving the bus...no one else.

Challenges will always be there...the memory of sitting on the porch, having a BBQ, mowing the lawn....and as an ex smoker, each and every one of them can connect in your mind with having a smoke.

Now, here's the trick. Each time one of those memories come up, mentally disconnect the thought of a pleasant memorywith smoking. Instead....when you have a pleasant memory of smoking...replace the thought with the thought..."I was only feeding my addiction". "I was only feeding my addiction". "I was only feeding my addiction".

Retrain the brain.....and just don't put a lit cigarette between your lips. The rest is easy!

You're doing great...and keep it going.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: March 1, 2006 1:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that just taking a break and sitting seemed to need an excuse. For years that excuse had been to have a smoke break. Now I just take a break and yep nothing better than a nice frosty beer no cig and not any thoughts of them either. You see I have forgiven my past failures in live which smoking was one of them and started enjoying being me. Wink I was not born with a cig hanging out of my mouth nor will I die with one. You are likely right that the computer would help outside as you have switched smoking with posting so your hands will be idle outside unless you two fist the beer. Laughing I can attest to some terrible hangovers the first few months that might lead one to believe it's a path I took. Embarassed Stay focused find in yourself the right just to sit no excuses I just want to relax and yep I'm having a beer. You have earned the right

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Lori

Quit Date:
March 18, 2006

PostPosted: March 2, 2006 1:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,

Thanks for this post. I am working on identifying my triggers and this is a big one for me. So big, that I thought when I quit, I would do it in October or November, when going outside for a smoke wouldn't be pleasant ... and I'd have a whole winter to reward myself with not NEEDING to go out in the sloppy cold to feed my addiction.

The nagging need to quit is not going to be put off until next fall, however. So, I find myself gearing up for a springtime quit and facing this trigger dead on.

Pam, thanks for your no-nonsense kick-in-the-butt answer. I am saving that.

And Melody, I really liked what you said about realizing that you didn't need an excuse to go outside.

I'll continue to watch this topic. I'm routing for your success on this one, Deb!

Lori
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 2, 2006 2:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's difficult to believe now, but the wonderful day will come when you don't even think of smoking AT ALL Exclamation Exclamation You'll also realize that smoking was adding to the stress in your life; not lessening it. Since I've quit, I'm so much more relaxed and able to cope.

Just sit, relax and enjoy God's beauty all around you. You've got a great quit going.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: March 2, 2006 3:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank everyone for the great information, it is so much appreciated.

Kevin- Thank you! Your absolutely right, I should not worry about what has not happened yet. When the time comes, I don't have to make any decisions at all, I've already quit so the decision has already been made. Wink

Pamela- Thank's for the advice. I didn't mean to scare you, I have no intention of smoking. I'm just feeling sort of anxious and needed to express myself. I feel for you with the snow storm you folks are getting today. Stay warm and I hope your heat is fixed Wink BTW, I am familair with Gardiner. I used to live in Goshen (Orange County) below Newburgh. Your over near New Paltz right? That is a little more North therefore a little colder. Crying or Very sad Brrrrrrr I do miss the snow but, not the cold. Laughing

Melody- Thanks for reminding me that I don't need any excuse to stop and take a break. When I was smoking, it was usually a cig break. Yes I can go out and still enjoy having a cold one without sucking on poison and I guess a little hangover is a lot better than the cigs are. Laughing

Lori- Thanks for the support. You sound like your gearing up for a long long quit. WTG Very Happy

Jo- I hope your right and my day will come when I truly don't miss them at all. Thank's for the encouraging words. Very Happy

Today it's now 80 and I went out and weeded the flower beds. I have not thought about a smoke, for me this is a major step in the right direction.

Thanks everybody! Very Happy

Deb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: