quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wake Up Call
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: April 5, 2006 9:07 AM    Post subject: Wake Up Call Reply with quote

Went to a funeral yesterday and of course saw people I had not seen in years. I saw my EX sister and brother in-law from I guess about 20 years back.(Was always fond of them) Well she has cancer now of the voice box and is still smoking. I could have whacked her. Then she says her husband wheezes allot due to his weight. Of course I had to add maybe it's his smoking. They then gave me a ride home and of course both lit up as soon as we got in the car. Thank God it was a 15 minute drive as I didn't think I was going to make it without throwing up. What is wrong with people. When you are faced with a life and death situation isn't it smarter to choose life????

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 5, 2006 9:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so right, Melody. But who ever heard of a "smart" addict?

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 5, 2006 10:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's too bad, melody; i hope they find it within themselves to put the cigs down.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 5, 2006 11:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

its finding out that you have worth. choose life!!!! peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: April 5, 2006 12:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a lady who had mouth and nose surgery because of cancer and she still smoked.

Sometimes addiction gets ahold of some people and they can't let go. In fact they don't want to let go. They love the addiction more than the freedom.

Hopefully, someday, they will.

It sure is a wake up call alright.

We think we are safe until it hits home... and then we still play with fire sometimes!!

God Bless

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 5, 2006 4:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we all know, quitting isn't easy. Perhaps some people have so much to endure they just don't have the strength to take on another challenge. It's sad but I know several people with breathing (and other) problems who are still smoking. I'm just thankful God gave me the strength to see this through. Also, thanks to Kevin and all my woofmang friends who have helped me over the past 2 years (almost).

I feel for your relatives, Melody. Their futures sure don't look very bright.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: April 6, 2006 7:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody,

We can only give advice to others (and most of the time that's a little risky) it comes down to them making their own choices in life. Unfortunately for a lot of folks, it's to late. I wish their was more we could do to make people aware but, it's difficult. Each individual knows what the effects are but, if their not ready to quit..........they simply will not or even if they attempt, it will not last.

I've known for years what those damn cigs have been doing to my health and my loved ones but, obviously I didn't care and wasn't ready to give them up yet.

We can only take care and decide for ourselves when it is time to quit......................I get annoyed at the folks who are choking and blame it on asthma of course not the cigs.... Shocked very ignorant and so much in denial.

My husband is really upsetting me, he keeps saying he's going to quit soon and I've been hearing this since January. I cannot force him, he has to do it on his own. I pray everyday that it might be soon but so far...........he still smoking the old poison suckers. I'm so afraid for him as his breathing is getting more labored than before. I hope he will make the right choice soon. The funny thing is, if I really get pissed and yell and make a big fuss he will put the patch on and quit, right there on the spot but, I don't want to be the one to make this decision for him. He must do it on his own. I worry about the breathing though so, I'm going to make him a Dr. appointment just to make sure he's ok. He's going to be 60 in August and I cannot believe he is not even concerned with his health. I've always said when I'm 30 I will quit well, that came and went then it was when I'm 40 well, that came and went too.........I'm 46 and I finally did it. Hubbys a little older than me and I think that freaks me out too, i'ts like hey you have to quit, you've got some years on me and I don't want you dying and leaving me here alone................I think I'm nuts too, its ok Wink

Ok, needed a good ramble. Have a great evening everyone.

Deb
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: April 7, 2006 12:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be glad that you're one of the 10% Melody. For whatever reason we've quit, whether the road has been difficult or a piece of cake, just be glad that your on that road. Don't think for others, don't speculate, just be glad that you've risen above it all, and in the end, maybe you'll find a lot of others have joined you. We all know that quitting's the best thing we could have ever done, sometimes it takes other people just a little longer to get there. Unfortunately for some it's realized a little too late - but then I believe that there's a reason for that too. Kerry
justtheprincess

Quit Date:
December 1, 2013

PostPosted: April 7, 2006 4:56 PM    Post subject: What is wrong with people? Reply with quote

I had a hard time with this early on in my quit. Now I don't worry about that. Some people are sicker than others and they are on a different path. It is their choice, yes, but they are obviously not in the state of mind to choose differently. You are a positive influence!! Just keep on taking care of you.. Love, Sandi

YOU are the only YOU YOU have. Take care of YOU!

~ Love, Sandi
One day at a time
Terry

Quit Date:
February 11, 2004

PostPosted: April 7, 2006 11:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand those folks. I smoked for 14 years. I still remember being hooked like that.

I made a decision when I quit to never be one of those former smokers who tries to recruit for the team all the time. I guess I believe that some folks will make the right choice, and others won't. It was hard to quit, afterall. I'm sure that some folks simply can't do it. It is a sad thing though. Sad I feel for them.
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: April 8, 2006 1:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an addiction, I too was like that, 50 years of smoking, and couldn't breath, could not walk without my inhaler, now just how smart was that....

My son-in-laws grandfather would take off his oxygen to go into the garage and have a cigarette, that is so sad Crying or Very sad

Why some refuse to see the signs.... I believe we all see if we want to, it is a choice we make......

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 9, 2006 2:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody, I don't understand it either (but that's now that I've quit!) I, too, was horrified by this early on in my quit. It happened that because of my own COPD (mild so far, but still there) I went to a special Pulmonary Exercise group for a while. This was really sad, because they ALL STILL SMOKED!! I could not believe it....they were dragging the oxygen tanks behind them, and still they did not want to quit. They were very nice people too, but this is the choice they made. It is sometimes heart-rending, and more so if it is your family, but there is nothing much you can do until they are ready.

I am so glad I quit. I wish we could find words to tell them, but I think it is something people have to want and then to experience the freedom of it.

I will be hoping that they make that decision. I think most people in their hearts do want to quit, but the demon is strong, as we know.

Thanks for this good "reminder" post. It is definitely a wake-up call.

Hugs to you,

Margaret
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: May 17, 2006 7:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at the hospital yesterday and she will not be coming out this time they have given her 2 or 3 days. Crying or Very sad

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 17, 2006 8:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody,

I am so sorry. Thank you for posting about this. As I get nearer my two year mark, I do find myself forgetting how afraid I was that I had cancer.

Thank you for the reminder.

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 17, 2006 8:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Sorry to hear it Melody. It's horrible when Scowling Demon takes someone from us. Stay strong.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: