quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bronchitis & possible Asthma.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: April 19, 2006 12:49 PM    Post subject: Bronchitis & possible Asthma. Reply with quote

I have not had bronchitis since I was 10yo & now I have a nasty dose feel like my chest is being sat on also I have to get tested for asthma-all this & I have quit smoking!!

It's not fair I hate getting sick Sad has this happened to anyone else who quit?, as I wonder what if this is all due to the damage of the smoking coming out as tobacco supresses many illnesses-so I am told.

It's also freezing & rainy here

Scowling Demon
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 19, 2006 2:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simone. Sorry to hear that you've got that, it really stinks! When I smoked, every cold turned into either bronchitis or pneumonia, but not since I quit.

Sometimes you just get these things, and it has nothing to do if you smoke or not. And< the weather doesn't seem to be helping you either. Hopefully you've got some medication to help you get back on track! You take care.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Lori

Quit Date:
March 18, 2006

PostPosted: April 19, 2006 2:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simone,

Sad

I am very sorry to hear this. I haven't experienced it myself, but like you, I have read that smoking may mask illnesses/damage. I've had many cases of bronchitis over the years (I was quite the sickly kid ... both parents smoked and I always had bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.) Then I started smoking myself (brilliant tactic Shocked Rolling Eyes ) One sort-of-happy thought I can offer is this -- Be glad you quit! Now you'll never know the searing pain experienced when desperately trying to feed your addiction during a bout of bronchitis!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Lori
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 19, 2006 4:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone, sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. I discovered, after quitting, that I have asthma and have been using inhalers to relieve it. The goot news is that, just last week, my doctor told me I could quit using the inhalers regularly and use them only on an "as needed" basis.

You may just have some sort of allergy too. Let's not jump to conclusions -- the preliminary opinions could be wrong.

The wonderful thing is, though, that you're no longer poisoning your system with cigarettes. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 19, 2006 6:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone,

Your body is still in the healing stages. Can you imagine how compromised our immune system is from our constantly ingesting poisons... I shiver to think of what I have done to myself. And like Lori said...yes...I was one to STUPIDLY inhale this crap while I was sick with a respiratory infection.....gum surgery....or just having a tooth pulled. Shocked Scowling Demon Sad Rolling Eyes

Does smoking mask illness....I don't know about that...certainly if we're already having breathing difficulties...can't smell or taste food anyway..and generally feel like garbage....then yes...we may think it's the smoking and not the illness.

Non-smokers get sick...why wouldn't we after we quit? Don't worry about these things....they happen.

HOW IN THE WORLD DID OUR BODIES EVEN FUNCTION? Shocked

The main thing, Simone, is that we stopped this insanity! Pats on the back.....hugs....smiles to you and everyone here!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 19, 2006 8:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Simone,

Sorry to hear you have asthma. Allergies can also play a role in allergies.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 19, 2006 10:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simone, it is probably the weather and the time of year! Or you may have allergies, and have to get rid of some stuff around the house.

YOu will get better! See your doc! I am thinking of you! Very Happy

Margaret
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: April 24, 2006 12:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Rays in 2 weeks Sad I am annoyed as I have never had anything like this since I was a child but it's also freezing cold here at the moment is going to be a nasty winter Sad

I'm not too fussed though.

Simone Very Happy
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: April 24, 2006 3:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon I seemed to get sick a lot my first year of my quit. I had pneumonia a few times the first year. Now it is almost never that I even get a cold, (knock on wood)

Give your system to build up your immune system, hopefully this too will pass. (I do get a flu shot each year)

Get better, if I lived close I'd make you some awesome chicken noodle soup.

Sandyz

914 days free

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: April 24, 2006 6:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandyz you poor thing pneumonia a few times that's horrible Sad

Glad you are ok now that was a bad run!!

I guess after all those years of the smoking no wonder my immune system is playing up so badly I am on remedies from the Naturopath to help boost my immume system so I hope they work .

I love chicken noodle soup I wish you lived next door!!

Simone
xx
361 days free
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 24, 2006 9:03 AM    Post subject: Re: Bronchitis & possible Asthma. Reply with quote

Simone wrote:
I wonder what if this is all due to the damage of the smoking coming out as tobacco supresses many illnesses-so I am told.

Sorry you are sick. I heard someone say that this theory (smoking kills germs) is like when folks needed to use heated iron on a wound to kill the germs. Works, but creates a tremendous about of other damage and pain.

Sending you get well thoughts.

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: