quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

$3.01 a Gallon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 20, 2006 9:00 AM    Post subject: $3.01 a Gallon? Reply with quote

I paid $3.01 a gallon this morning for regular gas. Although we are about 80 miles north of NY, I understand that prices hit $4.50 yesterday in Manhattan.

I'm glad I only live 12 miles from work, and I'm glad I can go a whole week, usually on a tank of gas in my 4 cyl. Jetta.

I feel sorry for everyone who is driving long distances to work, or who drive for a living.

However, to put this into perspective, I used to cheerfully fork out about $10.00 a day for smokes that I would just burn up, in addition to all the added cost of doctors, dentists, and other hidden costs of smoking.

So, even though I have to pay a lot for gas, I could still have to be paying a lot for gas, and smoking too!

I guess I'm ahead of the game, and so will shut up about gas prices for a few minutes.

Mad

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Lori

Quit Date:
March 18, 2006

PostPosted: April 20, 2006 9:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used to cheerfully fork out about $10.00 a day for smokes

Pam, your use of the word "cheerfully" really struck a chord with me. I never allowed the guilt of such a wasteful expense to force me to reconsider my choices. Embarassed My cigarettes cost over $50.00 a carton. I just wrote that money off without giving it another thought. We junkies will go to great lengths to shield ourselves from the truth of our behaviors.
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 20, 2006 11:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point, buddy...Seeing how service stations were the perfect place to get smokes, I very often just added smokes to my gas tab. Ahhh...memories. I'm glad they're just that. Yeah, it's interesting about the rising gas prices. Last I went it was 2.90. I filled the tank, and was thinking "Wait. Weren't we pissing and moaning once it got above 2.50 not too long ago?" It seems 3 bucks is gonna be the new standard...incredible....Anyway. good post...

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 20, 2006 11:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when gas was measured in cents......there were giveaways like dinner plates and glassware......AND someone pumped it...cleaned your windows...and checked your oil. It all seems like a dream now.

And....yes...I always had the money for cigarettes....even charged them at times. Amazing....this was considered as important as food. Shocked

IT'S WONDERFUL TO BE FREE! Very Happy

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 20, 2006 12:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, Donna. Yes, in our house we used to collect the giveaways like juice glasses and stuff. Also, my mom always wanted to go where we could get S & H Green stamps. You pasted them in a book, and when you got enough books, you could trade them in for neat things from a catalog. My brother and I used to fight over who got to paste the Green Stamps into the book. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 20, 2006 12:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW what great memories. Believe it or not, the first remenbrance I have of the price of gasoline was $.39/gal. I'm hearing we can easily expect $4.00 before this summer is over.

Guess I don't mind paying that if it's necessary but really do resent the CEO's of the oil companies taking home millions at our expense.

You're all right, though. I did willingly pay a fortune for thise awful cigarettes. Rolling Eyes

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 23, 2006 5:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put $20 of gas in my car today and it didn't even give me a half a tank! I get great mileage though so I'm lucky there when I do drive. It's almost $3.00 here too. I remember those green stamps.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 24, 2006 9:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just talking of s&h green stamps this weekend. when i first set up housekeeping we didn't have much money. they were such a great way to get some much needed things for my house. i would fill the books and spend hours searching the catalogue for my best value or most needed item. who knew you would ever look back at the struggles so fondly?

oh wait i know the answer to that question, its your parents. lol

that trip into the local gas station for gas, smokes and coffee is probably getting close to what i pay for groceries.

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: April 26, 2006 6:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way to work this morning, I noticed I needed gas (light came on Embarassed ). I never pump my own (hate it!) so went to Kwik Fill. I thought I would just charge $10.00 worth. Well did the math real quick and realized I wouldn't go far because it was $3.00 a gallon. All I did was laugh. Oh well, if for one day if we all went on stike would that help? It would probably screw up economy, right? I don't know much about those things.

So I just pay, and go on with life. I don't like it, but I really don't know how to lower prices.

Any financial genius out there?

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Backfist

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 27, 2006 6:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam, thanks for the reminder of what to be glad I'm NOT spending my money on!

Dekie
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 27, 2006 8:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I had forgotten about S&H green stamps! Boy, we used to get a lot of nice things with those! I collected them until they went out of business.

Horrors, the gas is over $3 here too. At least I don't have to pay for cigs!!

Margaret
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 28, 2006 8:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sad addition to this thread. In addition to the S & H green stamps that we dutifully collected and pasted, my dad was a huge collector of Raliegh coupons. He smoked em as fast as he could, and kept the coupons in a cigar box, counted with rubber bands around them. I remember him sitting at the kitchen table, counting up the coupons,, and pouring over the book to see what we could get.

Here's the really sad part. If we saw something in the gift book we wanted, I swear my dad would smoke even faster just to get the coupons. He would give everybody a turn to redeem for something, and I remember one time I got a fishing pole, because my dad would take us to a nearby pond at the top of Northern Drive, and we'd fish for sunnies.

My dad passed away 25 years ago in March. He had cancer of the larynx and throat. Wern't the cigarettes addictive enough, without the added incentive of giving out free gifts along with every cancer stick?

The even sadder part, is that I continued to smoke for over 20 years after my dad passed, because the addiction had such a hold on me. I didn't mean this to be this type of post, I was just remembering about the Raliegh coupons in the cigar box.

swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 28, 2006 5:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can add myself to the "sad" part. Only a few years ago....if you saved the UPC codes or the end of the cigarette packs....there were all kinds of items you could choose for poisoning yourself. Shocked

At the time....I thought...What A GREAT Deal!!!!! Scowling Demon Embarassed

I was able to get a toaster oven....a cappuchino machine....and a health grill (NOW THAT'S A LAUGH) Rolling Eyes

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: