quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Visit to the Periodontist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mollywood

Quit Date:
April 7, 2007

PostPosted: May 11, 2006 7:52 PM    Post subject: Visit to the Periodontist Reply with quote

Hi all,

I had an appointment with a Periodontist yesterday and I have to have some work done on my teeth. I've been putting this off for about 5 years and I made a promise to myself that I would get the work done after I quit smoking. I can't believe how expensive it is! My insurance will cover about 30% of it. Has anyone had any problems with this? I knew that smoking exacerbated the problem but had know idea that it would cost this much Shocked Shocked Shocked !!!

I should start the first of it in about 1 month....after things in my biz slow down a bit.

Molly

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never, ever stops"

Emily Dickinson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 11, 2006 8:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Molly,

I don't know much about those type of dentists. I do know that smoking is very bad for our teeth.

blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2006 10:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's crazy expensive, isn't it? but it'll be worth it in the long run; you can't grow new teeth (unless you're a lot younger than the rest of us Wink ).

on the bright side, the money you're saving by not smoking will eventually pay for this, and a lot of other things besides. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: May 13, 2006 11:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had periodontal surgery. What are you having done? My ins. covered 100% so I'd find out the total cost. It could be pricey. If you really floss, you can help reduce the gum disease. Kerry
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 14, 2006 1:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin that is so funny...that you can't grow new teeth! Laughing Laughing It is a good thing to remember, too, when we are talking about this peridontal disease....makes it easier to undergo it!

I, too, have that problem. I had the surgery once on one side, and now I have to have it on the other side. I think my ins. paid about 80 per cent before, but I can't remember now how much my new Insurance is paying....50 per cent I think.

Teeth are such a problem because the insurance policies are mostly so poor! Kerry, how did you get such a good one? I need good dental ins. badly.

Actually the dental surgery isn't so bad. You feel a little knocked up for a few days, and I worried that I would look ugly, but the teeth are always in the back, so it doesn't show. Then later, you can get them capped. At least, that's what I did.

Now maybe you are not even talking about this? Rolling Eyes If it is something else, just ignore me....I'm probably not myself since the hernia surgery....which by the way, is why I cannot address my teeth problems. Got to wait until this one heals. Only so much pain that I can do. My dentist did say don't wait too long!!

I think I need to keep this in mind....that I can't grow new teeth! Wink It will keep me from procrastinating!

Oh, smoking is very bad for it, but doesn't necessarily cause it, as I understood my dentist. Frankly, I just didn't learn about flossing soon enough in my life... Rolling Eyes ....used to think brushing did the job...in my case, I should have started flossing when I was 10 years old! Laughing Rolling Eyes

Margaret
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: May 14, 2006 1:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurance at the time had a policy that once you paid $1000 out of pocket, anything else you had done was covered at 100%. I had a c-section the same year so my $1000 was more than covered.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 1:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Kerry! And this included dental? My dental policies are always separate, and have a $1000 cap, after which you must the rest yourself! THe preminiums are $500 a year, so you save only $500, which I guess is better that not at all. Still, that was great, the one you had. On the other hand, my Medical (separate from dental) usually only has $250.00 deductible, so that helps me.

I'm big on flossing now! Rolling Eyes

Margaret
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 1:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was medical. Periodontal fell under medical since there were no periodontists in their dental plan.
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 11:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kerry. I may look into this. My dentist always does it all (he even makes his own teeth for caps) and does a good job, but if I could get a Peridontist under the Medical that would be great.

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: