quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My year of firsts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne

Quit Date:
November 25, 2005

PostPosted: June 7, 2006 8:29 PM    Post subject: My year of firsts! Reply with quote

Hello all!

I don't post often--intermittently at best, but have been checking in on this site for over two years now, and just wanted to share some of my good news. I am now nearing day 200, having recently passed MY FIRST SIX MONTHS EVER SMOKE FREE!

I only realized lately that this is the longest I have ever made it in one stretch, the first time I was SUPPOSED to have quit was about 5 years ago, and I did make it about 8 months (minus one mini-breakdown at about 4 months).... after that time though, managed to relapse pretty consistently, although never totally picked up smoking every day in that time. In essence, have lived in withdrawal (or at any rate having cigs on my mind much more than they should have been) for 5+ years..........

BUT.......... now at six months, I am readying myself for a move to North Carolina, having FINALLY been offered a job after having gotten my master's degree over a year ago! The whole job issue has caused me a lot of distress, I just thought it was never going to happen, and now not only did it happen but I got the job that I had REALLY REALLY wanted. Will at least be able to pay back my student loans, although not too much more than that, I am a librarian by choice and that doesn't pay a whole lot of money.............

And for myself, just feeling a whole lot of peace with my decision this time--I can finally hang around with smokers (or the bezillion people in my family who smoke) without having this half-resentful and deprived feeling to deal with......... THINK I REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME............

So hang in there, everybody, the best part of not smoking is when you finally aren't THINKING ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME.................

Thanks all for listening, my new resolution is to do a better job of posting to those in need, the rewards of leaving this vile habit behind are truly uncountable..........
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 7, 2006 9:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

great to hear from you, anne! keep up the good work! Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 7, 2006 11:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anne,

Wow! ! Congratulations on your job and your quit, both!! You sound terrific!
It's nice to hear from you!! Smile Smile Smile

Margaret
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 8, 2006 1:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Anne,

Nice to hear from you and Congrats on 6 months and new job.

Blessings,
Barbara

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: June 8, 2006 6:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne - congrats on all you've accomplished with your quit! Success stories are meant to be shared! Keep it going - one day at a time!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!

Last edited by Mary Dude on June 10, 2006 5:27 PM; edited 1 time in total
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2006 7:31 AM    Post subject: Re: My year of firsts! Reply with quote

Anne wrote:

the best part of not smoking is when you finally aren't THINKING ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME.................

Amen to that!!! Very Happy

Anne....congrats on 6 months of complete freedom. Very timely post...because..kinda like you relapses back and forth. It encourages me. Thanks!!!

Keep the awesome quit going...and enjoy being free!!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2006 8:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!!

Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2006 9:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anne. I think you've reached what I like to call the Idea "aha" moment, where not smoking becomes more natural that smoking, and you finally stop wanting to be a non-smoking smoker. Does this makes sense?

Anyway, it was a lightbulb moment for me that I just felt the tide turn in my quit.....and boy, did it feel wonderful! Hang on to it, and keep it going. It does get better and better. Pretty soon, you'll be celebrating that 1 year anniversary!

Congats on the new job, and the move! Sounds like life is treating you well!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Anne

Quit Date:
November 25, 2005

PostPosted: June 8, 2006 8:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret and everybody! Thanks for your kind words, it really does feel good to feel good. Seabrez, hang in there, I have noticed you going back and forth a bit, but just try to imagine for yourself kind of finally being free of the longing--having it out of your mind... that's what I've been waiting for. I never really called it "relapsing" over the last few years when I've done it, I was kind of in a mindset where I knew that eventually I would again, in 1 or two weeks, a month at most, and I guess I just saw myself as a kind of "occasional" smoker. Just got tired of that.

Pamela, thanks for the "aha" moment, I like that idea and hope you are right--I CAN'T WAIT for that one year anniversary--beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.............
THREEGRAND

Quit Date:
March 28, 2004

PostPosted: June 10, 2006 4:17 PM    Post subject: congrats Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new job anne and for being 6 months quit.....Your awesome Exclamation gail Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: