quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

detoxifying the body?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelle

Quit Date:
June 26, 2006

PostPosted: July 4, 2006 1:27 AM    Post subject: detoxifying the body? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you knew of any herbal remedies for detoxifying the body...

I quit just about a week ago and although I haven't been inhaling all of the chemicals (cyanide, arsenic, etc) that are in cigarettes, I still have some nicotine running through my system because I have been chewing the gum. I've been alternating with regular gum, and only use the nicorette gum when I can feel my mood changing for the worse or if I know I will be in a trigger situation. I am hoping to stop the gum altogether soon.

My body just doesn't feel right- I feel lethargic and even though I've wanted to exercise, I am simply exhausted. My mind is also a little loopy- I feel like its clouded. I know I will come out of this, eventually- I'm thinking that my body/mind is slowly returning to a natural state... I just want to help it along!

Thanks!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 4, 2006 2:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Part of that is just the withdrawal and will clear up by itself. A cloudy mind and the strange feelings happen to all of us at first.

I don't know herbs very well, but what will detoxify your body the fastest is water. Drink lots and lots of water, then drink even more water. I kept a bottle with me all the time for the first few weeks. Also taking extra Vitamin C and Chromium helped me. The Chromium was especially helpful.
In addition to the detoxifying, try to keep your blood sugar level stable. It changes when we first quit. So you need to eat a lite snack every hour or so. The drop in blood sugar could be causing the cloudy mind and tired body.

Do not worry. This will all pass, and then you will better than you ever thought you could!! I love the way I feel now as a non-smoker, and that is the truth. I think I started noticing a difference right about after the first 2 weeks, but each of us is different, so you may progress faster than that. i was a bit slow.

Good work so far and keep that going!! Always post when you need help.

There are others here who know herbs who may can give you advice in that direction also!
Very Happy

Margaret
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 4, 2006 9:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on taking back your freedom, Michelle. Go to the "getting quit" forum, and the first sticky is called "stacking the odds in Your Favor". Its a lot of our favorite quit tips, including how to get through those first few weeks of detox. I found citrus to be helpful, and put lemon or lime juice in my water. It seemed to help.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 4, 2006 10:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks with citric acid (orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, lemonade, etc.) tend to catalyze nicotine very quickly. i'll ask frances if she has any suggestions on specific herbal methods.

keep it going! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 4, 2006 10:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

frances wrote:
Astragalus root is a good general tonic and remedy to normalize the body’s operational systems, and rosemary is a bit of a “mind tonic.” Goldenseal has long been used to cleanse the system and nourish the liver. They are now available at the larger grocery stores in the vitamins/supplements section. Those are just the things that come to mind, and the caution of course is that if using these, a novice should consult with an experienced herbalist regarding combining the remedies (e.g., the proprietor of a health food store) and should never combine herbal remedies with diuretics. Hope this helps…
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 5, 2006 11:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromium flips me out, so I had to use a different approach. I pumped my body full of antioxidents. Blueberries, green tea, brocolli, etc. I switched to totally organic dairy products. Basically, I felt if I loaded my body with the ammunition to fight the damage I had done, I was doing the best I could.

Congrats on your quit!!!!! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2006 2:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alleghany, I didn't know blueberries are an antioxident! I eat them by the boxful! That's great news, and makes me wonder if this is why I am doing better with my heartrate at the gym. Being over 2 years quit, I don't think it is the quit, but something has slowed my heart down this past week! Very Happy

Margaret
michelle

Quit Date:
June 26, 2006

PostPosted: July 7, 2006 12:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your helpful advice!

I really appreciate it! I am beginning to feel a little better. Tonight I took a long walk with my daughter and our dog, and the exercise was great. I have added drinks with citric acid to my beverages. I am also planning on checking out astragalus root. You all had great tips that can be easily incorporated into my diet. Thanks again!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: