quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I need to get to the pool!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruralgirl

Quit Date:
June 5, 2006

PostPosted: July 20, 2006 2:34 AM    Post subject: I need to get to the pool! Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
So I desperately need to get myself to the swimming pool to help with the excess stress from quitting.

I have multiple sclerosis and am heat sensitive so walking is not much of an option until things really cool off (I'm in New Mexico)... but swimming can be just lovely. Keeps my body cool and would work off the stress. I know this, but I don't seem to get to the gym.

My excuses: I have put on a little weight, a bit self-conscious, and the pool is a 45 minute commute...

Thought if I posted maybe I would get there tomorrow!

I know I'd feel better and it'd help my self esteem and help establish new patterns of health to bolster the quit.

Anyhow, trying to get off my duff,

lisa
day 44
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 20, 2006 8:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa...go for it!! Pool time is a great investment in your quit. You are very worth it...so hit the pool!! I hear you about not having an 'Uma' body...but chances are you won't be the only one...and I always remind myself..yeah - my body is far from perfect, but at least I'm working on making it better...and not sitting on my butt eating bon-bons.....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 20, 2006 9:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

go, lisa! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Lori

Quit Date:
March 18, 2006

PostPosted: July 20, 2006 10:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa,

I hear ya -- sometimes I purposely avoid doing the very thing that will make me feel better! Embarassed It's like, as long as I'm having a pity party, I get to be the guest of honor! Laughing

Sounds like you recognize the excuses for what they are though. That really is most of the battle.

Enjoy that refreshing dip in the pool today. I know you're gonna get there!

Lori
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 20, 2006 10:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lisa. . . i hope you make it to the pool too, but if not, give youself a little bit of a break here. i allowed myself three months to do pretty much what i wanted. whether it be sleeping or crying or munching or eating chocolate cake (my personal favorite!) Laughing on almost the anniversay of my three month Quit i started walking daily. it was wonderful to be able to get out and move and draw deep breaths! swimming sounds like a lovely way to exercise as well. btw: congrats on your 44 day Quit. you are doing an awesome job!

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 21, 2006 1:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

We could make a pack! Laughing I will if you will. Laughing

I belong to a Health Club and have faithfully exercised almost every day for a long time now, but the last 2 weeks I just got lazy and stopped. My excuse was pain in my teeth (but really now, what could my teeth possibly have to to with my feet?? Rolling Eyes ), so I need to get back on the treadmill!

Exercise helps so much with the Quit, and water really is the best. The reason I don't do the pool is only because I have a problem with the chlorine.

I'm planning to go back tomorrow....no more excuses!! Wink

Margaret
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: July 21, 2006 8:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa my husband also has MS. He is RRMS and had suffered for years with heat sensitivity to the point where he lived much like a bat and only left the air conditioner in the evenings. It had started to take a toll on our day to day lives with our grandson to the point we were going to have a complete misting system down at the cabana just so he could sit at the lake with the rest of us. In Feb of 2005 I started him on a regime of salmon oil caps at that point 3000mg per day. Don't use cod liver as it can become toxic in your system over time due to the high levels of Vitamin A. I also bumped up his consumption of cold water fish Salmon, Tuna, Mackerel and others to 5 servings per week. We have now dropped to 3 helpings and 2000mg per day. This will balance your fat intake to make the ratio higher of omega3 to omega6. It also brings up your polyunsaturated fats. Also look up Dr.Paul O'Connor head of the MS research at St. Mikes in Toronto. He is doing a study on vitamin D3 and asked John to take 2000-4000iu of Vitamin D3(the 3 is important as it is a natural source) per day. He started him on that on July 10 2005. We lean toward 4000iu in the winter and I cut him back to 2800iu in the summer. Since end of June 2005 John has not suffered one episode of heat fatigue. It IMO has to be one or both of these. Make sure to check with your Doctor as I have no idea which meds you are on. It also got rid of a lifetime battle with eczema as well as he no longer has his seasonal allergies.By the way also go see an allergist to remove all foods from your diet that you are intolerant to as I believe when your body is fighting itself it looses the ability to regulate heat. Please go the www.thisisms.com as they have so much knowledge there of people who have had MS for years. I'm not on much any more as John has so improved he believes he doesn't have it anymore. I'm a little more sceptable but I let him have his day. I go under Melody there as well. Remember last word is run it by your Dr. or better yet your neurologist.

Giving up smoking will be a huge benefit to your MS it is a known toxin and the last thing you need in your system is toxins. Aspartame and caffeine are to other's. Use decaf it tastes fine after a few days.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 21, 2006 6:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa,
Swimming has helped me tremendously to relieve stress and to keep from looking like one happy toad...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
ruralgirl

Quit Date:
June 5, 2006

PostPosted: July 22, 2006 10:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone...

I need a little motivation but also appreciate the idea of being gracious with whatever the quit is taking...

Thanks melody for giving me stuff to think about... the heat sensitivity is hard... I hole up most of the summer. I have more dietary changes to make I know... It's funny how once you quit smoking, you become more aware of caffeine, sugars, exercise and for me oils.

Margaret, I'll belatedly accept your pact. I'm going Sunday for my dip...

Thank you everyone, I'll let you know how it goes.
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: July 26, 2006 3:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is it going?

I don't have the motivation at times either. I find that just making myself get up and go is what I have to do sometimes. Don't think, just get up and go. Once I've gotten there (to the gym or the pool) and I've done my exercise, I am always glad I did. Exercise really does help with so many things in life.

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: