quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

donations now being accepted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > news
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 5, 2006 10:44 PM    Post subject: donations now being accepted Reply with quote

over the years, many members have asked me if i could make it possible for them to donate something to help with the maintenance of the site. i've always thanked them for their thoughtfulness and said i'd think about it, but the truth of it is that this site is my gift to the people coming down the road of freedom after me: it's my way of "paying it forward" - since i can't possibly pay back the generous help i received when i was starting out - and paying for the hosting (and doing most of the development work) myself has been (and will continue to be) my pleasure.

plus, up until now, i just haven't had the time (or the inclination, really) to rewrite the bulletin board programming to allow for donations; it's a very complicated piece of software, and i thought the time invested in the project would be better spent administering the site and doing little things to keep our place on the web safe and friendly (like what i did with the spambot-killer this weekend).

then, last night, i was looking at the server statistics, and what i found surprised me a bit: these quit-smoking-support forums used over 3 gigabytes of bandwidth in august! (by way of comparison, an e-commerce site that i designed for a client - a site that has enough traffic to generate tens of thousands of dollars in business each month - used about 800 megabytes of bandwidth in august.)

so i went looking for an answer, and i found a nice bit of programming that a fellow phpBB forum host in china did to make it possible for people to make donations to his forum through paypal. i downloaded that software, and spent the day today making some modifications to it to make it work here, and launched it tonight (and have already received the first two donations, before i even finished writing this! Very Happy).

just to clarify: the site is still free to join, open to everyone, and ad-free for the foreseeable future. donations are totally voluntary: nobody will be penalized in any way for not donating, and donors won't get preferential treatment or access to private forums or anything like that. as i said up top, paying for the site's hosting has been my pleasure, and i'd be perfectly happy to go on doing so, but i wanted to give y'all a chance to contribute, if you wanted to.

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 6, 2006 10:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i launched this last night, i didn't realize that paypal won't process credit card transactions through a personal account (but then i found out)... so, last night, i set up a "premier" paypal account, and this morning i got up early and rewrote pieces of the software to offer you a choice between using paypal or a credit card to fund your donation. now, when you go to the donations page, you'll see a pulldown menu that says "Select PayPal or Credit Card".

in reality, all donations will be processed through paypal: the distinction is that, if you'd like to fund your donation through your credit card, that has to go through the "premier" account, but if you already have a paypal account, and you'd like to fund your donation through that, it can go to the other account. choosing one or the other on the pulldown menu simply sends the transaction to the proper account.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 23, 2006 10:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's been a bit of confusion as to the difference between the "PayPal" and "Credit Card" options on the donations page, so i made a few more tweaks to it.

first of all, i made it so you have to make a choice between the two options (originally, it defaulted to "PayPal", which led to some issues when people used their credit card to fund a donation through the wrong account), then i put a better explanation (i hope) next to the pulldown menu.

basically, it boils down to these two choices:

if you have an existing paypal account with some funds in it, and would like to use some of those funds to make a donation to the site, choose "PayPal" on the pulldown menu.

if you don't have an existing paypal account (or if your existing paypal account has no funds in it), and you'd like to make a donation using a credit card, choose "Credit Card" on the pulldown menu.

hope this helps, and thanks again for your generous support! Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > news All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: