quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Living in the Rant Room...today has sucked.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 5:29 PM    Post subject: Living in the Rant Room...today has sucked. Reply with quote

Today I was essentially blind sided by this witch on a project I had worked on for 15 months ~ since I began my new career. Mad Scowling Demon

I can not begin to tell you what today was like. Superiors present for the fiasco, many folks dissappointed, absolute anger and humiliation (with no recourse) on my part. Embarassed Crying or Very sad Mad

Road home for 40 minutes with my young collegue whose heart has just been broken. He chain smoked all the way. I was so very, very, very tempted. Thought about you guys and all my reasons for not ever wanting to smoke again.

Still smoke free, even if my career is in the toilet! Rolling Eyes Wink

Thanks for the support! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 5:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, I'm so sorry you had a really crappy day.

I sure hope you can mend things at work. The upside of this day, is that you did not give in to old Laughing Demon even though your freind was chain smoking. Wink As you know, this would of only made things worst.

WTG, I hope things get brighter for you soon. Very Happy

Deb
shevie

Quit Date:
May 23, 2005

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 6:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Alleghany, on getting through all that smoke-free.

Careers are repairable. Stay strong and postive. Nothing that happened today would have been helped by smoking and you knew that. Smile

Keep up the good quit.
Shevie

If you study something in the right light, how can there be any darkness? Dave Gardner

Quit date: May 23, 2005
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 6:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies Deb and Shevie. I do mean it....I honestly thought of every single person on this site when I looked at those cigarettes today.

And, also on the upside... not ONCE in the middle of this huge crash and burn did I want to go and smoke. I may have wanted to curse some folks out, but I did not think of smoking until on the way home. And, my collegue and I did eventually talk about his smoking. He brought it up and I gave no lectures. He knows I care and he is aware of his addiction.

When once again faced with a difficult situation, I knew my addiction would call out and I knew I had to answer to myself and to my fellow quiters.

Thank you! Cool

Face your fears.
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 7:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a day from Hell. Congrats on the one ray of sunshine. Your still QUIT Wink

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 8:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, lord, what an awful thing to happen! Shocked I hope that WITCH gets what she deserves. Mad You know what they say.....what goes around comes around.

I hope you will be able to makes repairs, and you did great not to smoke through all this!! THere!! the demon is dead, at least!! Cool Very Happy

And your young collegue chain smoking is going to have problems from that as we know. I hope he finds a way to quit.

You're the greatest!!.....and you'll get an even better career, but you never get any more lungs. You did good!

Hugs! Very Happy

Margaret
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 9:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

(((alleghany)))

good for you for staying free, alleghany. keep it going! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2006 11:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alleghany,

There will always be "witches" and we can only control our reaction to them. But the real strength is in your control and determination not to allow the addiction to win. That shows your power.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 7:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that's a devastating blow...I'm sorry your project and hard work turned into a "fiasco".... BUT - I'm very proud of your choice to stay free! You should be proud too! A major professional set-back did not send you running for a smoke - the fact that you rejected that course of action is huge accomplishment - and it reflects your strength.

I hope that in the light of a new day - you will see a way around the major roadblock and pick up the pieces - maybe as the dust settles an phoenix will rise from the ashes of the disaster...

Hold on tight to your quit...you are worth it!! Continue to triumph over Laughing Demon ! Reject - stay free!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
wiley

Quit Date:
March 20, 2005

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 9:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there, and great job not smoking!

WIley
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 10:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody, Margaret, Kevin, Donna, Mary and Wiley...Thanks everyone. I am taking the morning "off" to try and figure out what to do next. I won't be fired or anything like that. I just need to try and figure out what I should be doing. I've got that rudderless feeling one gets when stuff happens out of the blue.

I really appreciate you all knowing how I felt yesterday.

Face your fears.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 11:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw you're post now.... so let me know if you need any retribution done. Know what I mean?

Sorry doesn't cover it, but I hope maybe time will help put some of the pieces back of the shattered project. I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason..and usually a good one. My suggestion is to just stay in the background, and leave yourself open to any possibilities that may arise (gosh, I sound like a fortune teller AGAIN! Where's my crystal ball? )

Meantime, you are obviously a non-smoking hero to your co-worker, and stronger than Laughing Demon butthead. Kudos to you.......and hang tough.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
shevie

Quit Date:
May 23, 2005

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 12:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alleghany, what matters now is not so much what the witch did as how you react and respond to it. Taking the day off is a great idea since it will allow you some uninfluenced time in a neutral and safe environment to reflect on what happened.

Not knowing the details, all I can suggest is that you try to examine the event as much from your boss' point of view as possible. How did it appear to him/her? Who truly seemed to be the "bad guy"? As s/he reviews the event later, could the witch have done things that may weaken her position? Were there any "holes" left that you could plug that will save the day? (OK, a bit dramatic, but that was the best wording I could come up with right now. You get the gist.)

I know that rudderless feeling, Alleghany. Felt it recently myself. It's just psychological shock and you'll get over it once your subconcious processes what has happened. One thing to keep in mind - witches do burn.

Keep up the good quit and keep your chin up, too. We're pulling for you.
Shevie

If you study something in the right light, how can there be any darkness? Dave Gardner

Quit date: May 23, 2005
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 1:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

shevie wrote:
One thing to keep in mind - witches do burn.

Shevie, I needed that!!! lol!!! Smile Very Happy

And, Pamela:
Quote:
My suggestion is to just stay in the background, and leave yourself open to any possibilities that may arise

Right on the mark wonderful advice.

I am finally gaining some perspective. Stuff like this happens all the time. And, my boss is wonderful. She called me to cheer me on. I think I am going to try and do what Pamela suggests. I believe that my career change may have been a mistake. And, I am not used to failure. But, I also know I am glad I tried.

BTW, I don't mean to blame someone else for my failure, thankfully all my superiors saw the blind-siding and called it for what it was.

I really appreciate the support. Cool

Face your fears.
Lori

Quit Date:
March 18, 2006

PostPosted: September 13, 2006 1:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Alleghany, you rode in a car with someone chain-smoking? For forty minutes? And you were emotionally shaken? Upset and angry?? And you didn't smoke???!!!

I hope you honor yourself somehow today. Please reward yourself for that. It is a hero's feat! You are truly deserving of the name, Freedom Fighter.

Sending you a big hug, Alleghany. Keep us posted.
Lori
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: